UFC Releases 7 fighters
Make no mistake about it, just because you receive a UFC contract doesn’t mean the promotion is going to keep you around if you under-perform.
Such is the case with many fighters, be them fan favorites or not. You want to keep your job as a fighter for the world’s largest fight promotion, you better win.
Which is why the UFC has recently released seven fighters who are all coming off losses inside the cage.
Phil Defries, Chris Spang, Jimmy Quinlan, Collin Hart, Kevin Casey, Gilbert Smith and Adam Cella were all released by the UFC within the last week.
While Quinlan, Hart, Casey, Smith and Cella were one-and-done following post-TUF 17 losses, Spang, a Strikeforce import was also released after his UFC debut loss at UFC on FUEL TV 9.
De Fries, went 2-3 inside the UFC’s heavyweight division, most recently suffering a quick KO loss to Matt Mitrione at UFC on FUEL TV 9.
Aaron Riley vs. Justin Salas added to July's UFC on FOX 8 event
A lightweight matchup between Aaron Riley (30-13-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) and Justin Salas (10-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is the latest addition to the UFC on FOX 8 lineup.
The new booking was revealed during Tuesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight."
Featuring a flyweight title fight between current champion Demetrious Johnson and challenger John Moraga, UFC on FOX 8 takes place July 27 at Seattle's KeyArena. The evening's main card airs on FOX.
Ratings Report: TV shows supporting UFC 159 pull good numbers
The television programming surrounding UFC 159, headlined by Jon Jones' light heavyweight title defense against Chael Sonnen on Saturday, did generally good ratings particularly the weigh-ins and post-fight show on Fuel.
The prelims on FX, even with some lackluster fights, fluke finishes and having to air the Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff fight twice did 1,382,000 viewers. That is above the 1.2 million average that the pay-per-view prelim fights have done on the station, but down 12 percent from the 1,597,000 on UFC 158.
UFC 158 was headlined by Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz, and with all the last week of controversy surrounding the Diaz interviews, it ended up as the most successful pay-per-view show in a long time...
Nevada denies Gabriel Gonzaga's appeal of TUF 17 Finale loss
An appeal filed earlier this month by Gabriel Gonzaga has been denied, according to his manager.
Marco Alvan, who trains and manages the onetime UFC heavyweight title challenger, today said he and Gonzaga (14-7 MMA, 10-6 UFC) received word from the Nevada Attorney General's office that the result of his fight with Travis Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale will remain a TKO win for Browne.
"While we disagree and are disappointed with the commission's decision, we respect it," Alvan told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Gonzaga would rather settle things in the cage with Travis if the UFC gives him the opportunity."