MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Now A Non-Title Bout, Filho's Belt Still At Risk   [View Full Version]
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. – World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight champion and No. 2 ranked 185-pounder Paulo Filho on Tuesday missed weight at the WEC 36 weigh-ins. Not only did he miss weight, he was over by an astonishing seven pounds, weighing in at 192 pounds.

Filho will now go down as the final WEC middleweight champion. He will fight Sonnen on Wednesday night, but it will not be for the title.

MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday evening confirmed with WEC officials that Filho got down to 189 pounds on his second attempt, therefore making the bout ineligible for championship designation. The two camps did come to terms, allowing the fight to go on as a three-round non-title bout.

Sonnen's cornerman, Matt Lindland, said that Filho was penalized a percentage of his purse and that Sonnen would receive some monetary compensation for Filho missing weight and it being changed to a non-title bout.

(The WEC later reported on its website that Filho gave up 25% of his purse to Sonnen.)

Perhaps more interesting is that Filho's cornerman indicated to Lindland that they would give up the title belt if Sonnen wins. "His cornermen told us that they would walk across the cage and hand Chael the belt if he wins. When Chael whoops his ass, I expect them to live up to their word.

LINK

bullettdodger » Posted 8/26/07 10:38:00PM

I hope Sonnen puts a clinic on Filho and ends all the hype
WAR SONNEN

Pskinner_mma314 » Posted 8/2/08 4:16:00PM

You know, I could actually see Sonnen winning this fight. Idk what it is, its a gut feelin, but I would love to see them actually hand the belt to him if he does win, not only does that gain respect for backin up your talk, but it shows class as a fighter.

If your a champ, and you miss weight or whatever, if you fight at your wiehgt class, and LOSE, your no longer the champ, **** the politics

StevenSeagal » Posted 1/8/08 10:08:00AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

You know, I could actually see Sonnen winning this fight. Idk what it is, its a gut feelin, but I would love to see them actually hand the belt to him if he does win, not only does that gain respect for backin up your talk, but it shows class as a fighter.

If your a champ, and you miss weight or whatever, if you fight at your wiehgt class, and LOSE, your no longer the champ, **** the politics

AchillesHeel » Posted 2/3/07 10:04:00AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

I agree. A championship belt isn't a prize, it's represents an accomplishment. If Sonnen wins, he's the champ.

p.s. Actually, since the WEC is folding their Middleweight division, I think they should get together with the Athletic Commission and the two fighters' camps and try to get some kind of waiver that would allow this to be an official title fight, despite the weight problem. Sonnen could still keep the extra cabbage.

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Who cares? The worst part is it will be 3 rds. After tonight there isn't going to be a WEC 185 belt so I look at it like oh well.

artofdefense » Posted 4/30/08 8:55:00AM

Filho is overrated, and will be exposed as a paper champ.

He's a good guy though, and I wish him the best of luck with his depression issues.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

this doesnt need to be a title fight because sonnen is winning this fight via tko in the second. (even though I dislike sonnen)

cameron » Posted 9/22/08 12:31:00PM

yeah but he should lose the belt because of the simple fact he looked absolutely terrible last night. He doesn't deserve a belt.

bls1919 » Posted 6/25/07 1:09:00AM

WAR! Sonnen. I hope paulo's camp holds true. That would be a very stand-up thing to do. Seeing as it is the last 185lb fight in the WEC.

[View Full Version of this Page]