Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Weidman discusses move to 205, previous goal to set up Jon Jones superfight

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

The Answer

JLS Avatar

Career:5,126-2,747
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Chris Weidman discusses what he brings to the light heavyweight division, his original plan to set up a superfight with Jon Jones, and his “Madison Square Garden” curse.

Link

Post #1   6/10/19 12:45:42AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,388-2,664
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I dont think thos is a good idea. Weidman is on the back nine of his career and has looked like a shell of his former self for the last five fights even if he did win one of them and his heart, game plan and chin should come into question going forward. This isnt a knock on Weidman as hes one of my favorites but I dont see him ever challenging for a title again at any division.

Post #2   6/14/19 4:42:41PM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:6,055-3,385
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

I dont think thos is a good idea. Weidman is on the back nine of his career and has looked like a shell of his former self for the last five fights even if he did win one of them and his heart, game plan and chin should come into question going forward. This isnt a knock on Weidman as hes one of my favorites but I dont see him ever challenging for a title again at any division.

I agree he should stay at MW, I feel as though his losses have been flukey as hell even though they have been losses. He was winning most of those fights I would say besides the Romero one, which was tied 1-1 goin into the third before Yoel took him out. Gegard landed the knee and Chris stopped fighting b/c he thought it was illegal but besides that he controlled Mousasi on the mat the entire first round, even if he ends up losing the 2nd, it's 1-1 going into the third. Was beating Jacare until he got caught, I feel like at times he just panics and doesn't know what to do, a simple clinch against the cage would have stopped Jacare's offense but Chris didn't do any of this. Rockhold fight was tied or he was winning until the stupid kick he threw that led to a take down and him getting beat up. He then beats the guy who fights for the belt next handily. Out grappled KG in the first, got cracked I believe in the second and was dropped but not hurt, and then finished with an arm triangle in the third.

At the time he fought the majority of these guys they were top 5 MW's, so it wasn't like he was losing to nobodies.....I seriously think he needs a camp change as does Aljo. Feel like Serra/Longo is kinda old school and both have hit their ceilings over there and need to branch out to get better. Mark Henry isn't far from them and would definitely improve both of their striking. Don't like Longo's narrative that Weidman doesn't get KO'd in practice so when it happens in the cage, he flat out doesn't get it....ummm helloooooooo, you're not using head gear in the cage and likely aren't going 100% in practice, could also be using heavier gloves to soften the blow and also help block punches easier.

In closing, Chris should stay at 185, that's his best shot at success although I can see him winning some fight at 205, it's just not gonna make it any easier on himself wrestling bigger guys.

Post #3   6/21/19 12:58:06AM