Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Dustin Poirier, Israel Adesanya after UFC 236 title wins?

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fighters with two different types of journeys reached interim UFC champion status at UFC 236 when Dustin Poirier and Israel Adesanya claimed belt.

Full Story

Post #1   4/15/19 1:34:32PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,430-1,527
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Khabib
Whittaker
Pay me instead

Post #2   4/15/19 3:14:54PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,124-4,070
Chips:
Why this is a question is beyond me...

While Khabib and Adesanya have optiions; Whitaker and Dustin really don't. Although there are players who could throw a wrench in the LW division (Tony and Conor) the MW division is abundantly clear.

Post #3   4/18/19 12:32:21AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,640-1,857
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Articles like this with zero substance are purely for 'clickbait' so armchair quarterbacks can provide their 2cents in the comment section just to garner clicks and ad revenue. This also provides Dana with more ammunition that feeds into his delusional match-ups that do nothing other than garner revenue. You can make marquee fights and still garner viewers. Like maybe...cutting the roster to an acceptable amount that allows even casual fans to be familiar with names on the main card as well as the undercard. I remember in college UFC 70's-100ish my friends would come over for every PPV because they were once a month and we'd all chip in and as casual fans they knew most of the main card fighters and a few undercard guys/gals. Emotional investment in familiarity is the key to consistent viewership. Not necessarily putting as many shows as possible..like the one today in Russia where I knew less than 6 fighters. BUT! Maybe they're (UFC brass) looking for more regional viewership depending on where they're going. Like this card today had 90% Russian blood for a Russian show. Anyways..I'd like to see less shows as I'd value those more than knowing there's a card once a week (which with my new schedule I work Saturdays & Sundays) I am personally less inclined to watch knowing if I miss something this Saturday that I can get my fix the next week.

Post #4   4/20/19 6:03:28PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,430-1,527
Chips:
I'm okay with more shows and I like the regional idea. It's good to garner more interest in different markets. I've become an early to bed early to rise person, so I'm watching these in the morning during a workout regardless of how big the name is.

As for recognition, don't you also think it's possible that because the ufc isn't exciting and new anymore that people don't remember the fighters? It could definitely be that there are too many shows, but it could also be a matter of the novelty having worn off and as the big names from ufc70-100 retired people didn't feel compelled to learn about the new names.

Post #5   4/21/19 9:27:32AM