Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva, Israel Adesanya verbally agree to UFC 234 bout in Australia

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,679-2,462
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
A middleweight fight between an icon and one of the division’s future stars is heading to Australia.

Former champion Anderson Silva and rising star Israel Adesanya have verbally agreed to face each other at UFC 234 in Melbourne, Australia.

MMA Fighting confirmed an initial report by ESPN.

Adesanya (15-0), a multiple-time kickboxing champion, is coming off a violent first-round finish over Derek Brunson at UFC 230 earlier this month. This victory not only kept the New Zealand native’s perfect record intact but marked his 13th victory by KO/TKO. Prior to that performance, Adesanya picked up wins over Brad Tavares, Marvin Vettori and Rob Wilkinson.

Link

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   11/25/18 10:25:26PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,200-1,365
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I don't love it. Anderson is way up there in age, barely got past brunson, and is fighting a young stud who's coming in with a head of steam. I think it's a short night followed by a long nap for Silva here

Post #2   11/26/18 9:26:32AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Putting over the young guys. What a pro.

Post #3   11/26/18 12:53:19PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,175-2,521
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hate this favoritism matchmaking Dana does with the guys who he likes such as Israel and till. Israel beat a top ten in Brunson who was stylistically the easiest opponent in the top ten now a past his prime goat contender that he should make quick work of meanwhile Jacare continues to impress over better quality oposition, is getting old and only a win away from what should be a title shot. Should be Israel VS Jacare winner faces gas VS Whittaker winner.

Post #4   11/26/18 8:04:40PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Hate this favoritism matchmaking Dana does with the guys who he likes such as Israel and till. Israel beat a top ten in Brunson who was stylistically the easiest opponent in the top ten now a past his prime goat contender that he should make quick work of meanwhile Jacare continues to impress over better quality oposition, is getting old and only a win away from what should be a title shot. Should be Israel VS Jacare winner faces gas VS Whittaker winner.

It could also be that Dana is trying to build Israel's star and name recognition so he doesn't get a title shot too early. He's only been here since February 2018.

I don't doubt that Jacare is getting a title shot next year as long as a loss doesn't derail him.

Post #5   11/27/18 3:06:28PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,486-1,410
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
SICK FIGHT

Post #6   11/29/18 4:37:07AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,402-1,682
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
This is a win/win for Israel and a lose/lose for Silva. Isreal if he wins is 'the next big thing' and if he loses people will say 'well, he lost to one of the GOATs'.

For Silva, if he beats a young and hungry star, it will be expected from the casual fan base and if he loses, welp. Yeah, that's gonna suck to watch.

The craziest thing to me is Silva alleges he gets a title shot with a win, which to me is bananas. He is 1-4-1 in his last 6 fights and had one positive failed test during that time period for legit steroids. He is also technically unranked because if his almost 2 year lay off. I understand there is a jumble at the top because there are a bunch of top 10 guys with either a loss or a 1 win streak under their belt currently. But, there's got to be a better option for the next title eliminator. I think Israel is the future of the division (I have been thoroughly been proven wrong before) and I don't want to see him thrusted into the limelight too early like Sage Northcutt and Amir Sadollah and fizzle out too early. I think even if he beats Silva I would like to see 2-3 more fights before a title shot. Unless he dazzles and sparkles like a young Jones or an early Ronda, I just want to see the kid get more time/fights in his record.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #7   11/29/18 6:10:05PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,761-2,715
Chips:
It makes little sense that Silva will get a title shot for winning and it makes even less sense that they apparently don't have title plans for Adesanya if he wins. It's an odd matchup. Of course half the matchups nowadays have little to do with sense and more to do with draw and profit.

Post #8   12/6/18 11:49:09PM