Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Fight Night 135 bonuses: No doubt, Justin Gaethje's massive KO was worth $50,000

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

The Answer

JLS Avatar

Career:5,151-2,762
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Justin Gaethje, Eryk Anders, Cory Sandhagen and Iuri Alcantara each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 135 event.

Sandhagen and Alcantara earned the “Fight of the Night,” while Gaethje and Anders each won “Performance of the Night” honors.

UFC officials announced the winners following the event, which MMAjunkie attended.

In the main event, Gaethje (19-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) laid out James Vick (13-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) with a right hand that dropped the slight lightweight favorite instantly to the canvas. It got Gaethje, a former WSOF champion, back on track after back-to-back losses to Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier.

Anders (11-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) struggled early against Tim Williams (15-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC), despite being a huge 10-1 favorite in the fight. With the fight even heading into the third round, Anders briefly took Williams off his feet, and when he got up, Anders landed a perfectly timed kick to the face to put him away with just 18 seconds left.

Link

Post #1   8/26/18 2:43:26AM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Had a feeling this might happen. Vick has a lot of skill but he fights upright all the time, which is really really ridiculously dumb against a quick, shorter guy with power (which is basically the LW top 10). His pre-fight hype was pretty bad, too, like by insulting Gaethje's skill he was setting himself up for a no-win situation. He's got some game but lacks the magnetism of Conor or Jones, where folks show up to see them do cool shit.

Perhaps he should fight at 170 - more water weight to cushion his brain better, would still have the reach advantage over most dudes, might learn how to fight just a bit lower both to defend the WW wrestling monsters and to get his shoulders to absorb more of the impact from strikes.

One thing's for sure - Gaethje saved the shit out of his job.

Post #2   8/26/18 10:18:51PM   

JLS

The Answer

JLS Avatar

Career:5,151-2,762
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by isk

Had a feeling this might happen. Vick has a lot of skill but he fights upright all the time, which is really really ridiculously dumb against a quick, shorter guy with power (which is basically the LW top 10). His pre-fight hype was pretty bad, too, like by insulting Gaethje's skill he was setting himself up for a no-win situation. He's got some game but lacks the magnetism of Conor or Jones, where folks show up to see them do cool shit.

Perhaps he should fight at 170 - more water weight to cushion his brain better, would still have the reach advantage over most dudes, might learn how to fight just a bit lower both to defend the WW wrestling monsters and to get his shoulders to absorb more of the impact from strikes.

One thing's for sure - Gaethje saved the shit out of his job.

I kept hearing everyone saying Gaethje might get cut if he lost to Vick. I think that's just foolish when you think about who he's lost to; Alvarez (former Champ) and Poirier (One of the top LW's). He's super exciting to watch, has won a bonus in every Ufc fight if I'm not mistaken. So why would they get rid of Gaethje? I think his job was safe either way. But I knew, well lets say, I figured he'd Ko Vick and pick up a bonus based off my picks and side games.

There's hundreds of fighters that would need to be cut before Gaethje imo.

Post #3   8/27/18 12:09:31AM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
That makes logical sense but Dana's administration of the roster has been getting less logical every year.

Post #4   8/27/18 12:22:42AM