Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 225 bonuses: Robert Whittaker gets extra $50K over Romero weigh-in flub

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

7-21-18 Jinh Invicta Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:4,277-2,240
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
The action certainly delivered last night (Sat., June 9, 2018) at UFC 225 live on pay-per-view (PPV) from inside United Center in Chicago, Ill., as UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker outlasted Cuban machine Yoel Romero in a five-round bloody classic.

In addition to the main event mayhem, Colby Covington walked away with the interim welterweight strap by suffocating Rafael dos Anjos, CM Punk got beat up by Mike Jackson for 15 minutes, Cutis Blaydes turned Alistair Overeem into a bloody mess, Anthony Smith kneed Rashad Evans into oblivion, and Charles Oliveira quickly choked out Clay Guida.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #1   6/10/18 4:33:29PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,263-3,487
Chips:
Great night for Robert Whitaker, especially taking into account how closely contested and scored the fight was. Broken hand? No problem, just use the elbow! Classic!

I don't agree with a trilogy, 2 losses (despite being close) and twice missing weight doesn't help Romero's cause. Plus, this delays the sport and the division. Let Kelvin take on Whitaker, let the MW division move along and flow like it's supposed to. I wouldn't force Romero up, but I also wouldn't let him contend for the title while Whitaker was champ unless something spectacular happened.

Last edited 6/10/18 6:11PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/10/18 5:18:17PM   

JLS

7-21-18 Jinh Invicta Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:4,277-2,240
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Great night for Robert Whitaker, especially taking into account how closely contested and scored the fight was. Broken hand? No problem, just use the elbow! Classic!

I don't agree with a trilogy, 2 losses (despite being close) and twice missing weight doesn't help Romero's cause. Plus, this delays the sport and the division. Let Kelvin take on Whitaker, let the MW division move along and flow like it's supposed to. I wouldn't force Romero up, but I also wouldn't let him contend for the title while Whitaker was champ unless something spectacular happened.

Spot on jae! Couldn't agree more!

Last night I was thinking who would be next for both.

With Romero 0-2 no need for a trilogy at least at the moment. Rockhold is moving up and even if he wasn't he isnt 1st in line regardless. GSP isn't even a thoughg. Jacare just lost to Gastelum. Weidman, very hard pass even with a W over Gastelum, he's rehabing an injury and is 1 of 3 in his last 4, getting finished in his 3 losses. So logically give it to Gastelum who is 4-1 in in his last 5 including quality wins over Jacare and HOFer Bisping.

Plus stylistically these guys match up nicely. Smaller for their division, good endurance, good wrestling and serious pop in their strikes.

Romero has options. I was thinking Branch at 1st, Hall/Paulo Costa winner, Theodourou, or Carlos Jr if he wins his next bout.

Last edited 6/10/18 7:27PM server time by JLS
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/10/18 7:15:37PM   

Braden

\\// & <3 mmapg

Braden Avatar

Career:1,682-1,011
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by jae_1833

Spot on jae! Couldn't agree more!

Last night I was thinking who would be next for both.

With Romero 0-2 no need for a trilogy at least at the moment. Rockhold is moving up and even if he wasn't he isnt 1st in line regardless. GSP isn't even a thoughg. Jacare just lost to Gastelum. Weidman, very hard pass even with a W over Gastelum, he's rehabing an injury and is 1 of 3 in his last 4, getting finished in his 3 losses. So logically give it to Gastelum who is 4-1 in in his last 5 including quality wins over Jacare and HOFer Bisping.

Plus stylistically these guys match up nicely. Smaller for their division, good endurance, good wrestling and serious pop in their strikes.

Romero has options. I was thinking Branch at 1st, Hall/Paulo Costa winner, Theodourou, or Carlos Jr if he wins his next bout.

Good to see Whittaker walk away with 100k! Well deserved!

I think the next title challenger might depend on how long Whittaker is going to be out. If there's no serious injuries that's going to keep him out for an extended period, then I think Gastelum probably makes the most sense. But if he's going to be out for a while, then maybe have Gastelum fight one more fight in the meantime.

I'm not sure about Romero. If he wants to move up, I wouldn't mind seeing that, but there's still some fights at MW for him, like the ones JLS pointed out.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #4   6/10/18 11:53:11PM   

Braden

\\// & <3 mmapg

Braden Avatar

Career:1,682-1,011
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It doesn't sound like Dana is too happy about Gastelum. He didn't want to get into it since he said it had to do with personal stuff, but he wouldn't comment on what's next for Kelvin since he said Kelvin has some shit he needs to deal with before anything. He also said Kelvin was supposed to be the back up plan in case something happened to this middleweight title fight (which it did) but he decided not to be the backup plan due to something Dana was not willing to divulge into. Dana did not sound happy when talking about him, though.

Post #5   6/11/18 3:43:59AM