Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Yair Rodriguez cut by UFC for turning down Lamas and Magomedsharipov bouts

Print  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:4,024-2,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
From being considered a rising star that could carry the Mexican market for the UFC, to being unceremoniously released from the roster, all in a year? That seems to be the case for Yair Rodriguez, according a report from LA Times’ Lance Pugmire.

The number 11 ranked featherweight was said to have been punished for declining two bouts for UFC 227 against Zabit Magomedsharipov and Ricardo Lamas, and has been subsequently cut from the promotion.

Pugmire says the news comes from Dana White himself.

LINK

Last edited 5/11/18 7:39AM server time by shawn91111
Edit note/reason: n/a

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   5/11/18 7:39:05AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,991-1,139
Camp: Bonnie and Clyde
Chips:
This is surprising but Frankie massively exposed Yair's weakness on the ground in their fight....he must have just been buying his time and trying to improve on those weak points. Magomedsharipov and Lamas are both really bad match ups for him though.

Post #2   5/11/18 9:26:05AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:5,330-3,249
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

This is surprising but Frankie massively exposed Yair's weakness on the ground in their fight....he must have just been buying his time and trying to improve on those weak points. Magomedsharipov and Lamas are both really bad match ups for him though.

Surprising that the ufc didn’t cater matchups to specifically match his fighting style and artificially build his brand. I guess there can only be one McGregor.

Post #3   5/11/18 1:31:33PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,250-1,567
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Wow. Just wow. ONE FC & Bellator will have a star on their hands. I imagine he goes to Bellator. The UFC is doing what they did to help build the Strikeforce brand.

Post #4   5/11/18 2:22:05PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,040-1,259
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I'm not making excuses for him passing on those fights but this is a really fucking stupid cut. Dana pisses and moans when someone wrestles too much but now that he has a dynamic striker with a single loss in the ufc he kicks him to the curb for not taking on guys who he probably isn't ready for.

Post #5   5/11/18 2:26:09PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
I'm kind of torn on this one. If he worked as a contractor for a "typical" 9-5 company, and continued to turn down work, there is a good chance the company would let him go or at least quit offering work. A fighter should have some say in who they fight, but at the same time your employer has more of a say (assuming the timeline allows for normal weight cutting and training). There are only three UFC fighters that can call there own shots - Conor, GSP and Lesnar. They are more important to the UFC then the UFC is to them. It's not fair, but either is life.

Post #6   5/11/18 4:23:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,215-2,873
Chips:
Yair isnt cut yet

I call bullshit on dana.
I think yair accepts this fight by mon.

Post #7   5/11/18 6:44:20PM   

JLS

July 21st Jinh InvictaChampion

JLS Avatar

Career:4,215-2,212
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Lamas is fighting Bektic @225.

Yair did turn down Zabit though. Zabit's team was suppose to meet with Yair's team after 223's presser and Zabit and Co. Waited for 2 and a half hours. Yair also turned the fight down on twitter.

I hope he fights Zabit. Or give him one of the Koreans's. Superboy or TKZ. Even Touchy Fili.

Budge knows we've been talking about Zabit for well over a year before he even got signed by the UFC. He's a force. ACB has a bunch of talent that could jump right in the UFC roster. I could fire about 6-10 names. ACB is now the best promotion passing up Bellator at this point. Their shows have ALL good, well matched fights and there's no time for smoke breaks, store runs. Their MO is something like less talking more fighting or something. You guys gotta check one of their shows out.

Post #8   5/11/18 9:04:59PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,219-3,452
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If Yair doesn't want the fast track back to the top through Ricardo, and doesn't want a young stud like Zabit, then what does he want and why is that not a question we normally ask when these situations arise?

Last edited 5/11/18 10:52PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   5/11/18 10:52:31PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

If Yair doesn't want the fast track back to the top through Ricardo, and doesn't want a young stud like Zabit, then what does he want and why is that not a question we normally ask when these situations arise?

Fair assessment,I understand not taking the Habit fight. That's willing to put yourself into a death situation. But not taking Lamas? Why not? He's ranked higher and Yair has the speed advantage.

Post #10   5/11/18 11:26:47PM   

christheknightrowan

Learning to Sprawl

Career:3,555-2,401
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Posted by jae_1833

Fair assessment,I understand not taking the Habit fight. That's willing to put yourself into a death situation. But not taking Lamas? Why not? He's ranked higher and Yair has the speed advantage.

Wrestling.

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   5/12/18 5:05:56PM   

RhythmAndStyle

Straight Flexin'

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,902-2,384
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
when i read this, i said yup correct move..what if he was champ, he wouldnt want to defend it against anyone? to be the champion u must be willing to fight anyone anywhere anytime..that why champs are champ, they take on anyone..

Post #12   5/13/18 3:41:37PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

when i read this, i said yup correct move..what if he was champ, he wouldnt want to defend it against anyone? to be the champion u must be willing to fight anyone anywhere anytime..that why champs are champ, they take on anyone..

Yup. That’s why Tyron takes on the next contender every time and doesn’t volley for ‘money fights’ every time he’s on TV.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #13   5/14/18 12:37:49AM   

Braden

<3 SEXY FACE <3

Braden Avatar

Career:1,634-996
Chips:
I'm torn on this one.

Part of me feels, if you don't want to accept fights, then go and do something else. It gets really annoying seeing fighters continuously turn down fights because they don't like the style match up, or because their opponent doesn't have a big enough name, or because they aren't ranked high enough. What kind of a mind set is that? If what you truly want to do as a career is compete in MMA, then why are you turning down fights? (unless you're injured or you have something personal happening outside the sport that is preventing you from competing, then it's understandable).

But, why Yair? Why cut him when there's so many others that have done and continue to do this? Also, Yair's a young up and comer who's exciting to watch. Why is he the one getting released because of this? The Diaz brothers and Woodley are names that are being brought up, when it comes to declining fights.

From a business standpoint, I get why they're not going to want to let the Diaz bros go. They are a big draw that any promotion would pay a shit load to have fight for them. And Woodley is their current welterweight champion, who also works for FOX, so it gets a little hairy when looking at releasing him for declining fights and asking for money fights.

It's late, so no one is coming to mind right off that bat, other than the Diaz bros and Woodley, but there's multiple others that do this, so why weren't the released?

Fighters turning down fights has been happening more of recent. We didn't really see this happening much 5+ years ago, and we've seen more of it since the UFC came up with the rankings (which I actually like the rankings). It gets me thinking that, unfortunately for Yair, he just ended up being the straw the broke the camels back.

I'm sure it's probably annoying as hell for the match makers and people working for the UFC, to have fighters constantly turn down fights because they don't like the fight they're being offered. Eventually, you're going to get to the point where the next person to turn down another fight for no good reason is getting cut, because we're sick of this shit.... And unfortunately for Yair, he ended up being that next person.

Now the question is, are they going to be doing this from here on out? If so, then I'm fine with them releasing Yair. It's unfortunate that it had to start with him, that he had to be the example, but if this is what the UFC is going to start doing to fighters who keep turning down fights, then I'm fine with it. You have to do something to try and stop fighters from constantly turning down fights, and if this is what they're going to do, then so be it. If you want to compete in this sport, then you shouldn't be turning down fights, and waiting for the one that you like. Beggars can't be choosers, and I can't stand cherry pickers.

But if this was just a one time thing and they aren't going to do this to the next person to turn down a fight for no good reason, and the next person after that, then I don't agree with them doing it to Yair. Then it's not fair.

I guess time will tell if this becomes the norm or not, so as of right now I'll have to stay torn, until I see what happens to the next person to turn down a fight for no good reason, and turning down a fight because you don't like the style or the ranking is no good reason. If that's how your mind set is, then go do something else. You don't see anyone else in any other sport get the luxury of turning down opponents just so they can wait for a favorable match up or a money match up. If that was the case, then no one would play against Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer, no one would play against the Golden State Warriors. Or the other way (you'll only play against Nadal and Federer and the GS Warriors).

It's ridiculous, but it's one of the things we as fans, and them as promoters, are going to have to deal with, until a proper solution is figured out. The sport is still a baby whit a lot of room to grow.

Post #14   5/14/18 3:13:14AM