Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Targeting Gustafsson Versus Rockhold at UFC 227

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,541-2,391
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Alexander Gustafsson (18-4) is recovered from surgery and in training, and now the UFC wants “The Mauler” to take on former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (16-4). Dana White revealed the intent of getting the matchup on the UFC Unfiltered podcast on the UFC 227 card on August 4th in Los Angeles.

Link

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   5/10/18 6:20:57AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,134-1,216
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Sick match up but Rockhold struggles with good punchers/boxers and Gustaffson probably has the best hands at 205.

Post #2   5/10/18 7:39:57AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,150-1,332
Chips:
This doesn't make sense or really do much for me. Gus is stuck waiting for a title shot and rockhold hasn't ever fought at lhw and is coming off a loss. This new management is dogshit, looking for short term cheap thrills

Post #3   5/10/18 2:34:49PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

This doesn't make sense or really do much for me. Gus is stuck waiting for a title shot and rockhold hasn't ever fought at lhw and is coming off a loss. This new management is dogshit, looking for short term cheap thrills

What else can they do ? Cormier is tied up with Stipe, Jones has other shit to deal with. Rockhold hasn't really got anywhere to go to at 185 after the loss to Romero plus he is getting older and those cuts down to 185 are getting rough for him. This is a solid match up of two high profile guys that I thought would never fight, I love when I see match ups like these that I never even thought of.

Post #4   5/10/18 2:50:06PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,355-1,652
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
While I understand a little as to why they are making this fight. I disagree with it. I know Rockhold was a perennial contender @185 but give him a tuner to adjust to a new regiment and a new weight class. They are a bunch of fight fights that make sense for him to get a win: Tyson Pedro, Ilir Latifi, Corey Anderson, Volkan No Time.

Post #5   5/10/18 10:35:41PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

While I understand a little as to why they are making this fight. I disagree with it. I know Rockhold was a perennial contender @185 but give him a tuner to adjust to a new regiment and a new weight class. They are a bunch of fight fights that make sense for him to get a win: Tyson Pedro, Ilir Latifi, Corey Anderson, Volkan No Time.

The tuner could be a good idea but imagine he beats Gus, then he is in prime position

Post #6   5/11/18 5:35:51AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,150-1,332
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by airkerma

What else can they do ? Cormier is tied up with Stipe, Jones has other shit to deal with. Rockhold hasn't really got anywhere to go to at 185 after the loss to Romero plus he is getting older and those cuts down to 185 are getting rough for him. This is a solid match up of two high profile guys that I thought would never fight, I love when I see match ups like these that I never even thought of.

I haven't heard that rockhold was having issues with making weight, not have I heard him talking about moving up. Now he's fighting a stylistic nightmare. The reason they are where they are is because they're setting up another big profile fight that holds up two divisions. While she is weak these days, there are a few interesting new hw contenders and it isn't as if Stipe has completely cleared out the division.

To me it just looks like another attempt at a big sale that doesn't advance either fighters careers and doesn't look any further than the immediate ticket sales. Intentional myopia is everywhere and it's very frustrating when the justification is "we'll figure that out later"

Post #7   5/11/18 10:03:14AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,541-2,391
Chips:
Problem with LHW is its weak AF! You got guys like Corey Anderson, Shogun, Blachowicz that are Top 10s. They are good and all but that's weak for the Top Promotions Top10.

They messed up letting Bader and Davis go. Those guys are top 4-6 Worldwide LHW's Imo. And Belly has Linton Vassell whose good and Vadim Nemkov at 25 years old is coming into his own. And RIZIN has Jiri Procházka whose a stud too.

Long story short UFC needs to focus on LHW and worry less about having 4 Women weight classes. And I'm a big fan of WMMA.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   5/11/18 9:18:13PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,510-3,636
Chips:

The LHW division should be like the HW division plus cardio...could be a high end top seller and once was back in the day.

Post #9   5/11/18 10:50:02PM