Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tony Ferguson out of UFC 223, Max Holloway to step in and face Khabib Nurmagomedov for lightweight title

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,350-1,645
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
This didn't dawn on me until just now. But this fucks over Ortega. He was next for the title shot. Assuming Ferg/Khalabib fought, winner got Ortega/Holloway title holder. So, where does the division go from here? Who gets the next shot? Ferguson? Ortega? Elkins?

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #16   4/2/18 5:21:55PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,125-1,213
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

This didn't dawn on me until just now. But this fucks over Ortega. He was next for the title shot. Assuming Ferg/Khalabib fought, winner got Ortega/Holloway title holder. So, where does the division go from here? Who gets the next shot? Ferguson? Ortega? Elkins?

I'm sure the UFC would be pushing hard for Conor vs Khabib that is if Khabib gets past Holloway this weekend.

Ortega is fine. He will still fight Holloway at 145.

Post #17   4/2/18 5:51:26PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
I think it'd be hilarious if Ortega fights MacGregor, beats his ass, and then has leverage over Holloway (not that I believe Max wouldn't fight him - he'd fight a kodiak). It's not gonna happen, but oh boy wouldn't that be fun.

Post #18   4/2/18 8:31:38PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

If Ferg/Khabib fought then the 145 and 155 divisions would stay completely separate, at least for a year.

Now if Holloway wins then they'll likely try to match him up with McGregor at 155. Ortega fights for an interim 145 title in a few months, setting up Holloway's next 145 match win or lose against McGregor.

It's a mess, but with some fun fights.

Post #19   4/3/18 11:34:36AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
In regards to the status of the 145 and 155 divisions, if Holloway wins, it messes up the divisions a bit, putting at least one of the divisions on hold. That said, my money is on Khabib. If he wins, which I find the likely scenario, Max goes back to 145 and fights Ortega. Khabib will then defend the 155 title against Conor, if he decides to fight again and wants the fight, or the next #1 contender. My guess is Conor will want nothing to do with Khabib, and if he fights again, will lobby for a fight with GSP, either at 170 or 165 (if they create a new division), as GSP will by far bring in the most PPV dollars.

Post #20   4/3/18 12:50:45PM   

RhythmAndStyle

Straight Flexin'

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,924-2,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
so are they fighting for the actually LW belt or just the interim belt that Tony holds, cus I never heard the UFC saying they were stripping Conor of the LW belt and they still have Conor as their LW champ on their website also

Post #21   4/3/18 2:33:46PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

so are they fighting for the actually LW belt or just the interim belt that Tony holds, cus I never heard the UFC saying they were stripping Conor of the LW belt and they still have Conor as their LW champ on their website also

I thought I heard they are stripping Conor when the new champ is crowned. I thought I heard they were stripping both Conor of the real belt and Tony of the interim belt. I could be wrong.

Post #22   4/3/18 2:57:08PM   

Braden

\\// & <3 mmapg

Braden Avatar

Career:1,682-1,011
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

I thought I heard they are stripping Conor when the new champ is crowned. I thought I heard they were stripping both Conor of the real belt and Tony of the interim belt. I could be wrong.

Dana said as soon as a punch is thrown, Conor is stripped of his title and whoever wins between Khabib and Max becomes the undisputed lightweight champion. Tony has basically already been stripped. The reasons he's not stripping Conor right now is because if this fight doesn't happen and they strip Conor as well as Tony, then there's no champion in the lightweight division.

Last edited 4/3/18 3:01PM server time by Braden
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   4/3/18 3:00:59PM   

nickageb

Learning to Sprawl

nickageb Avatar

Career:2,151-1,459
Chips:
Makes sense to strip Conor. They should've done it months ago. I'm not really getting why they would strip Tony tho, it's not like he's been frequently injured. For Dana to say he'll never make this fight again, one hurts my soul, and two doesn't seem fair to the fighters or division. It would be different if these guys were getting popped for PEDs. Anyone remember the history of why these fights have been cancelled? I feel like it was tiramisu-gate once and Khabib missing weight another time?

Last edited 4/4/18 8:38AM server time by nickageb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   4/4/18 8:37:41AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2