Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington is on for UFC 224 after all

Print  
Posted By Message

Braden

\\// & <3 mmapg

Braden Avatar

Career:1,682-1,011
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington is on, after all.

The UFC bantamweight title fight had long been expected for UFC 224 on Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on May 12.

The bout was called into question after last weekend’s UFC 222, when company president Dana White declared he was looking at the option of having Nunes next fight featherweight champ Cris Cyborg, who scored a one-sided win over Yana Kunitskaya in the evening’s main event.

But now the women’s superfight is on hold, and instead, Nunes vs. Pennington is official. The company tweeted Thursday the bout would be the main event of the May 12 card in Rio.

Link

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   3/8/18 7:53:38PM   

Braden

\\// & <3 mmapg

Braden Avatar

Career:1,682-1,011
Chips:
The latest UFC 224 lineup includes:

Champ Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington – for women’s bantamweight title
Ronaldo Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Vitor Belfort vs. Lyoto Machida
Nick Hein vs. Davi Ramos
Ramazan Emeev vs. Alberto Mino
Junior Albini vs. Aleksei Oliynyk
Cezar Ferreira vs. Karl Roberson
Jack Hermansson vs. Thales Leites

Post #2   3/8/18 7:54:02PM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:5,435-3,037
Chips:
Not sure I like the Pennington fight too much, not sure she is really deserving.....I think Ketlen Viera would put up a better fight, regardless this is a safer fight for Nunes to get another win on her resume, another title defense and ultimately lead up to the super fight with Cyborg. I like that she is defending against someone in her own weight class, I'm not a huge fan of Nunes vs. Cyborg right now.....maybe towards the end of the year or early 2019 after they've both defended more. Just my .02

Post #3   3/9/18 3:45:54AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,125-1,213
Chips:
Pennington is kind of like Barberena...you can NEVER count them out of a fight.

Post #4   3/9/18 3:53:57AM   

RacingHartPurple

MMA Regular

RacingHartPurple Avatar

Career:3,766-2,276
Chips:
Yeah 5 rounds might be interesting if Nunes doesn't blast her in a round or two. I could actually see Nunes gassing trying to finish her early and Pennington coming back but I only see like a 20% chance of that happening. I just think Viera is a better match up and I would also like to see Cyborg fight Megan Anderson who is a real 145er, then set up the super fight Both of these girls barely have any title defenses yet.

Post #5   3/9/18 5:54:06AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,350-1,645
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
The women's 135 division is like the men's HW division. Shallow with talent. Not discounting the ability of those women but the top 10 has huge gaps in talent between the champ and the #10 contender. Pennington is deserving of the title shot, doubt she wins, but as stated above; never count Rocky out.

Post #6   3/9/18 3:16:18PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,125-1,213
Chips:

Posted by RacingHartPurple

Yeah 5 rounds might be interesting if Nunes doesn't blast her in a round or two. I could actually see Nunes gassing trying to finish her early and Pennington coming back but I only see like a 20% chance of that happening. I just think Viera is a better match up and I would also like to see Cyborg fight Megan Anderson who is a real 145er, then set up the super fight Both of these girls barely have any title defenses yet.

If Nunes fights the way she did against Valentina the 2nd time then she is unbeatable. I think her team has strongly advised her to fight more reserving and not go for the finish as much now. Even when Nunes was blasting Rousey I remember her team was yelling at her to stop and pump the brakes even though she was blasting the shit out of her with nothing coming back.

Post #7   3/10/18 2:19:28AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,502-2,369
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I'm actually okay with this fight. There's one Superfight booked atm. I'm all about a Superfight but only 1 at a time. When Rocky beat the former Champ Tate I think she earned her shot. This makes prefect timing for Ketlan Vieira vs Marion Reneau, Cyborg vs Anderson a true FW. Then we can talk about the Cyborg Vs Nunes Superfight. While the winner of Vieira/Reneau as the next #1 Contender. And in the meantime TJ doesn't deserve a Superfight with Mighty Mouse yet. Id say if he's still Champ in 2019 that would set up the Superfight with Mighty Mouse. Moraes/Rivera would be a good fight for #1 contender. Have TJ fight that winner and maybe book Assuncao vs Cruz when ready and Garbrandt vs either Assuncao if Cruz isn't ready or Cody Stamann who just made a big jump up the ranks and is now deserving of a good fight or throw in Lineker in the mix somewhere. Restore some order to that BW division.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   3/10/18 3:10:26PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

If Pennington is a +800 underdog, may be worth a bet.

Post #9   3/12/18 10:23:45AM