Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pietro Menga released by UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

Braden

Best av bet record on mmapg!

Braden Avatar

Career:1,579-966
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Pietro Menga’s UFC run is over before it started.

The 29-year-old Englishman received his walking papers from the organization less than two weeks after what was supposed to be his debut with the company. Booked as a short-notice replacement for an injured Justin Scoggins opposite one-time flyweight title challenger Tim Elliott at UFC on FOX 26, Menga was unable to make the 125-pound limit and he was told by a doctor to stop cutting weight prior to the weigh-ins, which led to the cancellation of his first Octagon opportunity.

Menga told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that he learned of his release during the holiday season.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   12/29/17 8:03:57PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:5,119-2,873
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Shocker.....probably the worst thing you can do is take a fight and not even come close to making weight. Sucks because this kid likely will have to climb a mountain to get back into the UFC, if he wants to.

Post #2   12/29/17 8:58:02PM   

JLS

BJJ Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:4,146-2,184
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Shocker.....probably the worst thing you can do is take a fight and not even come close to making weight. Sucks because this kid likely will have to climb a mountain to get back into the UFC, if he wants to.

Yeah I'm not sure how heavy he was, but even worse he didn't even show up to the weigh-ins. His opponent was Tim Elliot, and if he wouldve told Elliot prior to bailing out on him, Elliot probably would've compromised with his camp and made it a catch weight or something. That's just my opinion. But i know Elliot is always looking to fight but this Menga guy shot himself in the foot.

Speaking of Elliot willing to fight, tomorrow night he's fighting the Newcomer De La Rosa at 135lbs because of the late notice.

Post #3   12/30/17 1:07:15AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,971-1,133
Camp: Bonnie and Clyde
Chips:
pretty harsh

Post #4   12/30/17 2:39:15AM   

Leonstolzz

Standup Guy

Career:359-222
Chips:
Welp, when you sign a contract that says you can make 125 come a certain date and then after signing it try to change the weight because you can't make it does make you come off as kind of a douche and someone who isn't very trustworthy.
Honesty is the best policy. If he just told them he couldn't make 125 right off the bat Tim probably would have fought him at bantamweight. I mean hell, he fought De la Rosa a month later at bantamweight so obviously he was down to fight, he obviously just didn't like Menga's unprofessional behavior and rightly snubbed him.
I doubt Menga fights in the UFC anytime soon. Unless he goes on a crazy streak I don't think the UFC will forgive him. There are a thousand guys like Menga in MMA right now so Menga really fucked himself over.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #5   1/1/18 12:20:15AM   

JLS

BJJ Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:4,146-2,184
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by Leonstolzz

Welp, when you sign a contract that says you can make 125 come a certain date and then after signing it try to change the weight because you can't make it does make you come off as kind of a douche and someone who isn't very trustworthy.
Honesty is the best policy. If he just told them he couldn't make 125 right off the bat Tim probably would have fought him at bantamweight. I mean hell, he fought De la Rosa a month later at bantamweight so obviously he was down to fight, he obviously just didn't like Menga's unprofessional behavior and rightly snubbed him.
I doubt Menga fights in the UFC anytime soon. Unless he goes on a crazy streak I don't think the UFC will forgive him. There are a thousand guys like Menga in MMA right now so Menga really fucked himself over.

I'm sure the guy is cut after that. And Elliot wouldve fought him at a catchweight no doubt.

Side note - Elliot is a really cool dude! I met him @ FN 40 in Cincinnati and he wasn't really known all that much at the time. He spent about 10-15 solid mins with me having a beer and just bs'ing with me. I'll always be a fan of him because of that and i realize he's probably met thousands of people but I think i can bring up some things that we talked about that he'd remember seriously. It was during the Smolka/Cariaso fight.

Post #6   1/7/18 7:30:13PM