Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Marlon Moraes among four fighters CSAC recommends move up in weight after UFC Fresno

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,455-887
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) wants four fighters to move up a weight class after competing at UFC Fresno earlier this month.

UFC bantamweight star Marlon Moraes and three others were flagged by CSAC doctors after weighing in on fight day well over the commission regulations of staying within 10 percent of the contracted weight, per a document obtained Friday by MMA Fighting.

Iuri Alcantara, Davi Ramos and Luke Sanders were the three other fighters recommended to move up. CSAC will not license the four fighters at their current weight classes in the future “without extensive medical documentation from a licensed physician certifying the weight class is appropriate and verified by CSAC physicians.”

Link

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   12/29/17 4:32:20PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,971-2,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think that's BS if the guy can make the weight he should be able to fight at the weight class. None of these guys have even missed weight before either to my knowledge. Alcantara had a brief history at 145 I believe and wasn't as successful there, although he hasn't done too well at 135 either.

Post #2   12/31/17 2:52:13AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,843-1,071
Chips:
I think that's only recommended for the state of California, pretty sure if those fighters wanted to fight in Brazil they could practically kill themselves at weigh ins and still get cleared to fight no problem.

Post #3   12/31/17 3:00:00AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,960-1,200
Chips:
I guess they wont be fighting in California again

Last edited 12/31/17 3:28PM server time by Airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   12/31/17 3:27:11PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

Career:3,959-2,096
Chips:
Doesn't make sense at all to me. I didn't read the article but all 4 of those fighters fought at the Fight Night Fresno card and they all made weight. So what's the problem?

Luke Sanders fought Andre Soukhamthath @ Bantamweight and weighed in @ 135.6lbs. In his previous fights at Bantamweight he didn't have an issue and hit the necessary mark. He fought his debut fight at Featgerweight and i believe he fought at Featherweight for RFA a couple of times and some of the other orgs prior to RFA at Featherweight too and he's never missed weight at either weight class. If anything he came in light before by about 3lbs some years ago when he did fight at Featherweight.

Davi Ramos fought his debut fight at Welterweight against Sergio Moraes but that's because it was a late notice fight for him. But Lightweight is Ramos true Weightclass and he hit the mark against Gruetzemacher @ 155.8lbs. Never that i know of has he missed the mark. He did have 1 catchweight bout of 159lbs for RFA but I think that was a late fight announcement for him and his opponent seeing how his opponent, Mike Flach, came in at 158lbs.

Iuri Alcantara in Fresno came in at 135.4lbs against Alejandro Perez. Going back 5 and a half years and 13 bouts he's never missed the Bantamweight limit. Prior to that he came into the UFC and his first 3 fights were at Featherweight and never missed weight. And his lone WEC fight against Ricardo Lamas was at Lightweight and he didn't miss weight there either.

Marlon Moraes is 3 for 3 so far making the Bantamweight limit or under since fighting for the UFC. Moraes had 13 boughts with WSOF and 12 of those bouts were at Bantamweight and he came in on weight for 12 out of 13. The only 1 that he didn't come in on weight for was against Cody Bollinger but that was a Catchweight Bout of 147lbs.

So i just don't see why any of these 4 guys would have to fight at a different weight since none of them have had any troubles making weight?

Post #5   12/31/17 7:52:09PM   

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,455-887
Chips:
They have to stay within 10 percent of their contracted weight come fight day.

Moraes gained 14.5 percent back after weigh-ins, coming in 155 pounds on fight day after weighing in at 135.4.

Alcantara went from 135.4 at weigh-ins to 154.6 on fight day, a 14-percent gain.

Sanders went from 135.6 to 154.5, a 14-percent gain.

Ramos had the largest difference between weigh-ins and fight day. He gained back 15 percent, going from 155.8 at weigh-ins to 179 on fight day.

I'm not educated in this whole thing, but they're obviously just trying to look out for their health. I guess cutting more than 10% must be the point where they feel it starts to be unsafe for the body and brain.

The CSAC may encourage other athletic commissions in the US who have these weighin rules to support them and not license these guys at that weight. The good thing is they just need a doctor to clear them, which I'm sure the UFC could help them find. I wouldn't be too worried about this, there's ways around it.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #6   12/31/17 10:32:13PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

Career:3,959-2,096
Chips:
Well i guess that makes sense. I don't read very many news articles. I just mostly catch the captions and keep it moving.

Thanks for explaining though.

Post #7   12/31/17 11:05:57PM