Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Khabib Nurmagomedov hints at future move to featherweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:1,689-1,016
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Khabib Nurmagomedov has a history of weight mishaps at 155 pounds. But he’s thinking of someday competing at 145.

The undefeated Russian looked trim and healthy in Las Vegas on Thursday, one day before he’s scheduled to step on the scales and weigh-in for his UFC 219 co-main event bout against Edson Barboza.

And while he still has plenty of unfinished business ahead of him in the division, Nurmagomedov found himself thinking of a move to featherweight somewhere down the road.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #1   12/28/17 9:36:57PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
And people are worried about him making 155!

Post #2   12/28/17 9:39:12PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,118-2,483
Chips:
Amazing what you can accomplish when you give up tiramisu.

Post #3   12/28/17 10:42:19PM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:5,475-3,053
Chips:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves now but if he could do it, wow........

Post #4   12/29/17 2:57:06AM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
I think he smashes Max Holloway and all the other featherweights except for maybe one guy. Brian Ortega. Even if Brian was getting smashed, It wouldn't surprise me if he could lock something up at some point and submit Khabib. He's so slick with his bjj, I think the best at 155lbs and below.

Post #5   12/29/17 3:16:46AM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:

Last edited 12/29/17 3:47AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   12/29/17 3:45:29AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,134-1,216
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

I think he smashes Max Holloway and all the other featherweights except for maybe one guy. Brian Ortega. Even if Brian was getting smashed, It wouldn't surprise me if he could lock something up at some point and submit Khabib. He's so slick with his bjj, I think the best at 155lbs and below.

i'd like to see him try and outwork Holloway for 5 rounds, maybe Khabib can smother Holloway for 2 rounds but in those 2 rounds Holloway will make Khabib work, Holloway's guard is like Tony Ferguson's in that he is always active and always attacking and 5 rounds also changes things up massively. Khabib has yet to even fight a very good striker in his ufc career, this fight with Barboza will answer a few more questions but it's way too early to say what he can do in a different weight class. Other than RDA, Khabib has yet to fight any other high level fighter and that fight was 3 years ago, hell i even think Poirier would give Khabib trouble in a 5 rounder. Basically my rambling point is the guy is still untested and like all mma fighters he hasn't tasted that first loss....but it's coming real soon...hopefully not against Barboza because i got money on him

Post #7   12/29/17 4:20:53AM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Five-Alive

i'd like to see him try and outwork Holloway for 5 rounds, maybe Khabib can smother Holloway for 2 rounds but in those 2 rounds Holloway will make Khabib work, Holloway's guard is like Tony Ferguson's in that he is always active and always attacking and 5 rounds also changes things up massively. Khabib has yet to even fight a very good striker in his ufc career, this fight with Barboza will answer a few more questions but it's way too early to say what he can do in a different weight class. Other than RDA, Khabib has yet to fight any other high level fighter and that fight was 3 years ago, hell i even think Poirier would give Khabib trouble in a 5 rounder. Basically my rambling point is the guy is still untested and like all mma fighters he hasn't tasted that first loss....but it's coming real soon...hopefully not against Barboza because i got money on him

RDA and Michael Johnson are good strikers. He owned both of them. Some of his other wins were over guys who were top fighters at that time so you can't disregard them because those guys aren't top level anymore. They were when he beat them. Really, it doesn't matter how good of a striker he faces, he's not going to strike with them. He's going to take them down and keep them there while he breaks them and takes their soul. Max has never faced a grappler like Khabib and that's where Max's weakness lies. I'm not saying he sucks when it comes to grappling, it's just the weakest part of his game. That's why I see Khabib beating him, because that's where he shines. The only way Holloway can pick him apart on the feet is if he can stop the takedown and I doubt he can. I think Khabib could smother him for 5 rounds. Not only that, but I could see Khabib submitting him after breaking him on the ground within 5 rounds. I don't think Max has the strength or the ability to prevent Khabib from having his way with him on the mat.

And really, dude. You think Poirier would give Khabib trouble? Poirier is tough but he's a man that can be broken, a perfect man for Khabib to break. He broke the man that last beat and ko'd Dustin. I think Khabib's level of grappling is much higher than Dustin's, I see a one sided beating by the hands of Khabib in that fight if it ever happens.

And Idk how you can say he's untested. A lot of the guys he beat were tough guys at that point in their careers and a dominate win over RDA says a lot. You say he's going to lose real soon. Are you thinking Tony beats him, is that why you say that? Tony's slick on the ground but I don't think he's slick enough to lock something up on Khabib and I don't think he can prevent Khabib from taking him down and beating him up on the mat.

We obviously have very different pov's of Khabib. I guess time will tell which one's more accurate. At least for this next fight we'll be cheering for him.

Post #8   12/29/17 6:35:20AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Five-Alive

RDA and Michael Johnson are good strikers. He owned both of them. Some of his other wins were over guys who were top fighters at that time so you can't disregard them because those guys aren't top level anymore. They were when he beat them. Really, it doesn't matter how good of a striker he faces, he's not going to strike with them. He's going to take them down and keep them there while he breaks them and takes their soul. Max has never faced a grappler like Khabib and that's where Max's weakness lies. I'm not saying he sucks when it comes to grappling, it's just the weakest part of his game. That's why I see Khabib beating him, because that's where he shines. The only way Holloway can pick him apart on the feet is if he can stop the takedown and I doubt he can. I think Khabib could smother him for 5 rounds. Not only that, but I could see Khabib submitting him after breaking him on the ground within 5 rounds. I don't think Max has the strength or the ability to prevent Khabib from having his way with him on the mat.

And really, dude. You think Poirier would give Khabib trouble? Poirier is tough but he's a man that can be broken, a perfect man for Khabib to break. He broke the man that last beat and ko'd Dustin. I think Khabib's level of grappling is much higher than Dustin's, I see a one sided beating by the hands of Khabib in that fight if it ever happens.

And Idk how you can say he's untested. A lot of the guys he beat were tough guys at that point in their careers and a dominate win over RDA says a lot. You say he's going to lose real soon. Are you thinking Tony beats him, is that why you say that? Tony's slick on the ground but I don't think he's slick enough to lock something up on Khabib and I don't think he can prevent Khabib from taking him down and beating him up on the mat.

We obviously have very different pov's of Khabib. I guess time will tell which one's more accurate. At least for this next fight we'll be cheering for him.

So the only way Holloway can pick Khabib apart is if he can stop the takedown ? you're saying if they fought Khabib could take Max down on every attempt in a 5 round fight ? i don't think so. I said it in my post that Khabib can definitely take Holloway down and probably keep him there for periods early in the fight, the difference being is Holloway will make Khabib work like crazy off of his back, Holloway is a much better grappler than you think. I'm telling you these days are limited when fighters are able to smother guys for a full 5 rounds at the highest level, now Khabib is a very unique grappler/wrestler and his top game is suffocating but that pace comes at a cost when you are made to work to keep your opponent there. Don't look at the Michael Johnson fight as an example because he did nothing to try and keep Khabib off of him and when on the ground he did nothing but concede to him. The RDA fight is still Khabib's best and most dominant performance in the ufc over a high level guy but that does not necessarily mean he can do that for a prolonged period of time to other high level guys with great guards, to which RDA does not have a good guard, he doesn't have the flexibility or the dexterity in his hips, he stays defensive and waits for a time to explode and doesn't even bother with submissions off his back...in saying that Khabib did very well in passing RDA multiple times on the ground.

Also you bring up Khabib being able to break guys like Holloway and Poirier lol, these 2 fighters have such strong mentalities and yes they have been defeated in the cage but not even come close to being broken, tell me when they have ever broke when fighting in the ufc ? Ferguson, Holloway and Poirier all fight in a way that they never concede position and if they are put in bad spots then they work like hell, especially Ferguson's guard he is so squirmy and flexible.

Also you know very well using Khabib's breaking of Michael Johnson and then referencing Johnson's fast ko of Poirier does not mean a single thing. Two completely different fights and fighters. Poirier is another guy who thrives in high pace gritty wars, it's just wrong to assume that Khabib will have his way with a guy like Poirier who is so good on the ground and has underrated stand up and wrestling himself. Poirier cops some shit for eating too many strikes at times but his overall skill is not something to just be dismissed, he is a championship level fighter for sure !

Why don't you think Ferguson is slick enough to sub Khabib ? it definitely could happen, just take a look at his fights and how many subs he has gotten and how many subs he attempts, you think Khabib has never been subbed in training ? lol, I'm sure the guy has been arm barred and triangled a ton of times which has probably made his defence better, but to say Ferguson cannot sub Khabib i'd like to know why you think he couldn't do it ?

Maybe untested is the wrong word for Khabib, i really do rate the guy but there are still so many sharks he has yet to face at the top and to say he beats them without any reasoning makes no sense to me. It's the same kind of deal with Conor, both him and Khabib still have this hype behind them for differing reasons, then you look at guys like Ferguson, Hollaway, Poirier or even Kevin Lee just because they have losses they are looked at as lesser automatically, when in fact each of these guys could beat any of each other on any given day.

Post #9   12/29/17 10:42:23AM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Five-Alive

So the only way Holloway can pick Khabib apart is if he can stop the takedown ? you're saying if they fought Khabib could take Max down on every attempt in a 5 round fight ? i don't think so. I said it in my post that Khabib can definitely take Holloway down and probably keep him there for periods early in the fight, the difference being is Holloway will make Khabib work like crazy off of his back, Holloway is a much better grappler than you think. I'm telling you these days are limited when fighters are able to smother guys for a full 5 rounds at the highest level, now Khabib is a very unique grappler/wrestler and his top game is suffocating but that pace comes at a cost when you are made to work to keep your opponent there. Don't look at the Michael Johnson fight as an example because he did nothing to try and keep Khabib off of him and when on the ground he did nothing but concede to him. The RDA fight is still Khabib's best and most dominant performance in the ufc over a high level guy but that does not necessarily mean he can do that for a prolonged period of time to other high level guys with great guards, to which RDA does not have a good guard, he doesn't have the flexibility or the dexterity in his hips, he stays defensive and waits for a time to explode and doesn't even bother with submissions off his back...in saying that Khabib did very well in passing RDA multiple times on the ground.

Also you bring up Khabib being able to break guys like Holloway and Poirier lol, these 2 fighters have such strong mentalities and yes they have been defeated in the cage but not even come close to being broken, tell me when they have ever broke when fighting in the ufc ? Ferguson, Holloway and Poirier all fight in a way that they never concede position and if they are put in bad spots then they work like hell, especially Ferguson's guard he is so squirmy and flexible.

Also you know very well using Khabib's breaking of Michael Johnson and then referencing Johnson's fast ko of Poirier does not mean a single thing. Two completely different fights and fighters. Poirier is another guy who thrives in high pace gritty wars, it's just wrong to assume that Khabib will have his way with a guy like Poirier who is so good on the ground and has underrated stand up and wrestling himself. Poirier cops some shit for eating too many strikes at times but his overall skill is not something to just be dismissed, he is a championship level fighter for sure !

Why don't you think Ferguson is slick enough to sub Khabib ? it definitely could happen, just take a look at his fights and how many subs he has gotten and how many subs he attempts, you think Khabib has never been subbed in training ? lol, I'm sure the guy has been arm barred and triangled a ton of times which has probably made his defence better, but to say Ferguson cannot sub Khabib i'd like to know why you think he couldn't do it ?

Maybe untested is the wrong word for Khabib, i really do rate the guy but there are still so many sharks he has yet to face at the top and to say he beats them without any reasoning makes no sense to me. It's the same kind of deal with Conor, both him and Khabib still have this hype behind them for differing reasons, then you look at guys like Ferguson, Hollaway, Poirier or even Kevin Lee just because they have losses they are looked at as lesser automatically, when in fact each of these guys could beat any of each other on any given day.

Damn, that's a lot to quote, lol.

I really do think Khabib can take Holloway down every round in a 5 round fight and keep him there, if not finish him. I really wasn't trying to underestimate Max's ground game. All I was trying to say was he's a better striker than he is a grappler and that's true, where it's the opposite for Khabib. If Khabib can't get the fight to the ground each round, then whatever round that starts happening, he could be in some serious trouble. But if he can take him down each round and keep him there, it'll be a landslide. And I do think he could do that. Not only has Max not faced a grappler in Khabib's level but he's never faced anyone near as strong as Khabib. He is crafty but he's shown he can be held down in the past. Conor McGregor held him down and his ground game is shit. I don't see how Khabib can't take him there and keep him there.

I think Dustin questions himself at times before going into a fight and Khabib is an opponent I can see him questioning himself against. That's just my personal opinion, when I look at him leading up to some fights compared to others. Dustin can look like a championship fighter until he faces the true top guys, then he tends to fall short, which is true, if not he would have won a belt already. I feel that's due to his mindset leading into those fights and Khabib is one of those fights and that's true.

The only submissions that really worry me about Tony is those front chokes that he can slap on guys like nothing. He is super slick with those. He is pretty crafty and slick off his back too but not like he is with those front chokes (D'Arce, Anaconda). But when Khabib gets a person down, the position he stays in is a position that's very tough for guys to throw up submissions from their back. He has great posture, control and sense when in full guard, you should understand how important position, posture and wrist control is since you do bjj. That's the teacher's #1 thing, at least that's what all the bjj instructors I've trained with were most concerned about. In a sense, he's almost like GSP when he gets a guy down, he doesn't allow many submission opportunities. It's about control for those guys, everything else comes 2nd. If Tony can't take Khabib to 'snap down city' early, I don't think he wins the fight because those chokes get harder and harder to apply as the fight goes on. They're best when you catch someone early, when they're dry and when you have full energy.

Ask Javier Mendez, other coaches and other fighters at AKA. They'll all tell you that Khabib has never lost a round in sparring and has never been submitted ever since training there. I know it's hard to believe, but why would they lie about that? My buddy Andrew, who's really good friends with Cormier and hangs out with the AKA guys told me this and I didn't believe him. So I asked a couple others and they said the same. I still didn't really believe it. Then a year later I see Ariel doing interviews and being told this as well. So if they're telling multiple people this a different times then maybe it is true or there's truths to it. He has a so much heart, determination, great IQ in the grappling and his top control is like no other. Practice and an actual fight are different but if you know the man there's no denying that it's almost impossible to submit him or beat him in the grappling department.

I think Conor's and Khabib's hype are very different than each others. Also, Conor has losses too like those other you mentioned. They are both completely different fighters and individuals outside the cage. I fell Khabib's is more deserved, he doesn't have to make a mockery of himself, he just goes out there and does what he does. He's one of the most laid back guys I've met, where Conor acts like he just did a bunch of meth and is amped up all the time.

I really like those other guys you've mentioned, they're all some of my favourites and I think they're very skilled. I just feel Khabib's on another level with what he does, similar to GSP. A time will come where the guard changes since people get older, there's always guys coming up and it's always a shark tank. But reight now, I don;t feel there's anyone at 155 and below that can beat him or out smart him. The only one is maybe Brian Ortega, since that guys grappling IQ is really high as well and I feel he's the slickest and quickest submission artist at 155 and below. I think Ortega can take the belt from Max if they fought. If Khabib ever did actually drop down to 145, him vs Ortega is the fight I'd be most interested in.

Anyway's, I think I covered everything and this is getting pretty long. Like I said, time will tell and I'm looking forward to it. All the guys we've talked about I really like and am impressed with. It'll be interesting to see how these next few years pans out for them all. I just hope injuries don't keep any of them out for extended periods, they're all exciting and/or interesting fighters to watch.

Post #10   12/29/17 2:55:36PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,740-3,298
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I think it would be a massive detriment to him if he managed to actually make the weight. Not only would it shorten his career significantly, he'd lose a ton of endurance, speed, cardio, etc.

It just seems like a really foolish idea to me. Especially when he has a proven track record of pulling out of Lightweight fights and have missed weight in the past. Honestly, just mentioning it here is going to be a bad idea for him. You know at least one media guy is going to ask Dana about that now. So that will almost certainly annoy him and make the relationship even worse than it is now. Plus the fans who are still annoyed with him for the last cancelled fight aren't going to want to hear that.

I dunno. If I were Khabib I'd be 100% focused on this weekend. He made the weight. Now he needs an impressive performance. There would be no talking about anything else until that happens. A great performance is the best way to make people forget about your past mistakes.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #11   12/29/17 4:18:04PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
True that, Budge.

Some people don't look or perform the same when they cut too much weight, so that could play a factor in how he performs at 145 pounds. Screw talking about it, let's just focus on his career at 155, unless he ever makes the drop. Before this was brought up, I never would have thought Khabib and his team would consider a move down in weight classes anyways.

Post #12   12/29/17 4:26:31PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:
I guess just agree to disagree. Still so many things have yet to happen to him, i understand your confidence in him but all that hype is not real. I still stand by my point that these guys are better than you think on the ground and when there they may take a few shots from Khabib but they will also make him work like he has never worked before, and we do not know how he will react to that...

Post #13   12/29/17 5:29:20PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Post #14   12/29/17 6:00:12PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,510-3,636
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Khabib @ FW? I'll believe it when I see it.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #15   12/29/17 10:00:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2