Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

John Lineker off Saturday' UFC 219 main card due to injury

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,257-3,034
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Saturday’s UFC 219 lineup has lost one of its most anticipated matchups.

An injury has forced bantamweight slugger John Lineker (30-8 MMA, 11-3 UFC) out of his main-card bout with fellow contender Jimmie Rivera (21-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC), UFC officials today told MMAjunkie.

A replacement search is underway.

The latest UFC 219 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm – for women’s featherweight title
Edson Barboza vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
Jimmie Rivera vs. TBA
Cynthia Calvillo vs. Carla Esparza
Carlos Condit vs. Neil Magny

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)

Michal Oleksiejczuk vs. Khalil Rountree
Marc Diakiese vs. Dan Hooker
Rick Glenn vs. Myles Jury
Matheus Nicolau vs. Louis Smolka

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)

Mark Delarosa vs. Tim Elliott
Omari Akhmedov vs. Marvin Vettori

LINK

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   12/24/17 4:31:58PM   

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,455-887
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I hope Marlon Moraes is the replacement. He’s campaigning fo it, not sure Rivera would accept though.

Post #2   12/24/17 5:58:44PM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
Jimmie Rivera wants to remain on UFC 219 card, and multiple suitors have offered to step in

Hopefully he's willing to fight Marlon.

Post #3   12/24/17 6:52:42PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Jimmie Rivera wants to remain on UFC 219 card, and multiple suitors have offered to step in

Hopefully he's willing to fight Marlon.

I hope so. That would be a great fight. Just as good as the Lineker matchup and I'm a big fan of his.

Post #4   12/25/17 2:08:58AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,155-1,501
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Of course. Because what great and stacked card isn’t fucked the week of the fight. I really hope it was an injury and not a total realization of a botched future weight cut, seeing as he’s not the most consistent at making weight.

Post #5   12/25/17 2:20:53AM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
Sounds like Rivera vs Moraes will happen!

Rivera said he accepts a fight with Moraes, and Ali (Marlon's manager) responds basically acknowledging it's going down

And...

Merry Christmas, PG!

Last edited 12/25/17 4:36AM server time by five-alive
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   12/25/17 4:30:00AM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
"infected wisdom tooth" = fatty couldn't stop eating

Post #7   12/25/17 11:40:10PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Marlon won't accept the fight. What a strange twist. Marlon demanded the fight be at 145 but when Jimmie accepted he withdrew the offer. Now Jimmie isn't fighting anymore this weekend. What garbage. There were guys like Marlon Vera and Brian Kelleher willing to step up but Moraes basically called dibs on the fight but won't fight him..

Post #8   12/26/17 11:05:49AM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Marlon won't accept the fight. What a strange twist. Marlon demanded the fight be at 145 but when Jimmie accepted he withdrew the offer. Now Jimmie isn't fighting anymore this weekend. What garbage. There were guys like Marlon Vera and Brian Kelleher willing to step up but Moraes basically called dibs on the fight but won't fight him..

I've been trying to wrap my head around this and I may be completely wrong but the only reason why I could see him not accept the fight is because of money.

Marlon makes a lot of money, didn't he make around 200K last paycheck? Ali Abdelaziz is known for getting his fighters paid. Maybe the UFC wasn't willing to give him his original pay for whatever reason so Ali told him to decline unless they do. That's the only reason I could think of that makes sense as to why this fight wouldn't happen when both guys were willing to fight. I guess we'll have to wait for Marlon and Ali's side to come out, but my bet is it had to do with money.

Post #9   12/26/17 2:05:35PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,843-1,071
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by Budgellism

I've been trying to wrap my head around this and I may be completely wrong but the only reason why I could see him not accept the fight is because of money.

Marlon makes a lot of money, didn't he make around 200K last paycheck? Ali Abdelaziz is known for getting his fighters paid. Maybe the UFC wasn't willing to give him his original pay for whatever reason so Ali told him to decline unless they do. That's the only reason I could think of that makes sense as to why this fight wouldn't happen when both guys were willing to fight. I guess we'll have to wait for Marlon and Ali's side to come out, but my bet is it had to do with money.

His coaching team could have gotten in his ear, also those 5 extra pounds could have been just that bit too far. Jimmie Rivera is not a guy you fight with only a weeks notice

Post #10   12/26/17 2:14:39PM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
His coaching staff could have played a role as well, but if Marlon wanted the fight at 145 because it was short notice and Rivera obliged, then I can't think of any other reason this fight wouldn't happen besides money. Unless he wanted it rescheduled for a later date and not short notice at 219.

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #11   12/26/17 2:25:15PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,971-2,780
Chips:
Moraes lost a ton of respect after this one. He was one of my favorite BW's too....Rivera being another, but Jimmie offered him 138, he couldn't make it, 140....he couldn't make it and then when Jimmie finally said, screw it, I'll fight you at 145 lbs, Marlon went into hiding and his dickhead manager Ali is all over Twitter talking all kinds of bullshit, can't stand that fucking wanna be tough guy. The way he talks to some of the fighters disgusts me and I hope he gets what's coming to him one of these days.

As far as Jimmie goes, how can you blame him for not taking a fight with Vera or Kelleher. Neither of them are ranked and neither of them do anything for him as far as getting him a title shot goes. Dodson lost to Moraes so he's another one who yeah is ranked, but ranked below Rivera. A win over Dodson, while it looks good on his resume doesn't catapult him past any of the top guys he is chasing and for a guy like Rivera who had to win basically 15 or something fights in a row before he even got a chance in the UFC, I'm not surprised he isn't fighting Vera or Kelleher.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   12/26/17 3:14:07PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,155-1,501
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Jimmie Rivera no longer scheduled to compete at UFC 219

Post #13   12/27/17 2:39:03PM