Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Invicta FC flyweight champion Jennifer Maia turned down TUF 26 opportunity

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,760-3,088
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Jennifer Maia is one of the top flyweights in the world, so why wasn’t she on the 26th season of The Ultimate Fighter?

The UFC recently crowned its first women’s flyweight champion with a special edition of the company’s reality show, and Maia, the current Invicta FC 125-pound champion, was not listed as one of the contestants.

Set to defend her Invicta FC belt just seven days after Nicco Montaño won the inaugural UFC title with a decision win over Roxanne Modafferi, Maia said that she got a call from the promotion to be on the reality show, but turned down the opportunity.

"They invited me to be on The Ultimate Fighter, but since I’m the Invicta champion I thought that I don’t need to go through TUF to be in the UFC,” Maia told MMA Fighting. "Sometimes you’re not in a good day there and end up losing, and it’s not smart to leave a promotion where I’m the champion to try something.

Link

Post #1   12/8/17 2:59:10PM   

AndyWarho

MMA Regular

AndyWarho Avatar

Career:1,226-865
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I'm glad she didn't go either and am looking forward to watching her defend her belt tonite. It looks to be a tough contest and I'm hoping she comes out on top.

Post #2   12/8/17 7:59:06PM