Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St-Pierre vacates UFC middleweight title; Robert Whittaker crowned undisputed champion

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Dberntson

Although I am disappointed he is not going to defend the belt, GSP has earned the right to vacate without criticism. He is all class and a man of his word that respects the sport and other athletes. He made the decision after only 1 month of winning the belt. In an era where champions fight twice a year or sit and wait for money fights after winning the belt, this is extremely commendable. I wish other champs would have the same class.

I wouldn't exactly say that, I question if he ever intended on defending the belt. Joe Rogan asked him point blank in the post fight interview if he was going to defend the belt and GSP completely diverted the question. You think Dana would have let GSP come and fight Bisping if he knew GSP would weasle his way out of defending after ? I don't think so. The fact he never intended on defending is what annoys me about all of this, he just wanted to swoop in before all of these other MW beasts win the title and say he once was the middleweight champ too, which let's be honest was a bullshit title. Props to Bisping for winning it legitimately but his run will always be tainted for not fighting anyone ranked in the top 10 which is a joke.

Possible, but I do not think he knew for sure when he first took the fight. The man already had a legacy in place that was pretty hard to match, so I don't think he needed to be MW champ for ego reasons. The money grab, quite possible. Who doesn't like to get paid a lot of money. I think its more that he was noticeably slower and his cardio was drastically affected by all the extra muscle. He looked pretty tired at points in the fight, and I am guessing he didn't like that feeling. His frame is more suited for WW and I think the affect of the extra muscle surprised him. I personally do not think he is afraid of anyone at MW. He might realize the odds are against him, but I doubt it has anything to do with fear.

If he was fighting just for the money, then it would make sense for him to drop the belt and then campaign for a WW fight with McGregor. I doubt that will happen, but it would be the biggest PPV fight the UFC could put on this year. It would piss a lot of people off, but we all know we would watch it.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #16   12/8/17 11:08:20AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,541-2,391
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Dberntson

Although I am disappointed he is not going to defend the belt, GSP has earned the right to vacate without criticism. He is all class and a man of his word that respects the sport and other athletes. He made the decision after only 1 month of winning the belt. In an era where champions fight twice a year or sit and wait for money fights after winning the belt, this is extremely commendable. I wish other champs would have the same class.

I wouldn't exactly say that, I question if he ever intended on defending the belt. Joe Rogan asked him point blank in the post fight interview if he was going to defend the belt and GSP completely diverted the question. You think Dana would have let GSP come and fight Bisping if he knew GSP would weasle his way out of defending after ? I don't think so. The fact he never intended on defending is what annoys me about all of this, he just wanted to swoop in before all of these other MW beasts win the title and say he once was the middleweight champ too, which let's be honest was a bullshit title. Props to Bisping for winning it legitimately but his run will always be tainted for not fighting anyone ranked in the top 10 which is a joke.

I still stand by GSP helped speed the MW Title process up. Think about it who did Bisping defend his belt against? Hendo right? GSP came in there snatched that belt and vacated it with the quickness so if anything you guys should be grateful because now in a couple months we get to see Bobby Knuckles vs Rockhold. He expedited this process.

Now if that LW Champion would do something like that or fight. I actually enjoy watching Conor fight but he needs to shit or get off the pot for crying out loud.

Post #17   12/8/17 1:23:44PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:1,689-1,016
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Like JLS and I've said. This is great for the mw division. GSP sped things up. Had Bisping been the champ, we probably would not be seeing Whittaker/Rockhold in Perth for the real MW title. We may have seen Woodley come up instead or some shit, lol.

We can all make assumptions, but in reality we have no clue and to stick by your assumption like you know it's a fact only make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'... that's what happens when you ass-u-me.

Maybe GSP had no intention in defending the belt. Maybe he just wanted to quickly get in and get out, then move down to the lighter weightclasses.

Maybe he did have an intent in defending his belt but the fact he got colitis changed all of that.

Maybe it was being in there with a middleweioght, carrying that extra weight and having that affect his performance that changed his mind.

Maybe it was a combination of all or maybe it was none of the above.

Whatever it was, I don't think people should be upset or annoyed, he sped things up in that division once he won and made an entertaining match up for the fans in Whittaker/Rockhold. That's a fight I'm looking forward to

I actually would have looked forward to GSP/Whittaker but that'll likely never happen now.

Now me being a big GSP fan boy, I'd like to see him eventually make his way down to lightweight, win the 155 pound belt and be the first ever 3 division champion. When there was all this talk of his return, it was said multiple times by him and his team that he could go as high as middleweight and as low as lightweight if he returned. Well he already went as high as middleweight and won the crown, now time to go as low as lightweight and do the same.

Post #18   12/8/17 2:23:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2