Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St-Pierre vacates UFC middleweight title; Robert Whittaker crowned undisputed champion

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,419-867
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Georges St-Pierre is no longer the middleweight champion of the UFC.

A little more than a month after beating Michael Bisping to win the belt, St-Pierre has decided to vacate the title.

Link

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   12/7/17 9:33:54PM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
There you go. Now people can stop bitching and moaning about GSP holding up the middleweight division (even though he never held it up at all). He opened it up is what he really did, now you get Whittaker vs. Rockhold for the belt.

Last edited 12/7/17 9:36PM server time by five-alive
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/7/17 9:35:48PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:3,908-2,061
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

There you go. Now people can stop bitching and moaning about GSP holding up the middleweight division (even though he never held it up at all). He opened it up is what he really did, now you get Whittaker vs. Rockhold for the belt.

Exactly. I hate to say it and call you out Leon but We told you so. GSP has too much integrity.

Props to GSP class act all the way!

Post #3   12/7/17 9:37:56PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Chips:
Can't wait for Whittaker vs Rockhold.

I expect the odds to be extremely close. This will probably be the HB too. Not even sure who I'll pick yet but i want Whittaker to win preferrably by KTFO!

Post #4   12/7/17 10:04:45PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,800-1,043
Chips:
atleast he vacated it straight away, i still think it's a bit of a weasel move that he comes in beats Bisping wins the title and runs away, i think thats what annoys people about the whole thing.

Post #5   12/7/17 10:28:20PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS

I expect the odds to be extremely close. This will probably be the HB too. Not even sure who I'll pick yet but i want Whittaker to win preferrably by KTFO!

you saw what Branch did to Rockhold early in their fight, i think if Rockhold comes in with his hands down like that with Whittaker then he's going to sleep. I've seen Whittaker first hand work on his tdd, he has focused so much on this area of defending takedowns and if taken down getting back up

Post #6   12/7/17 10:31:12PM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

atleast he vacated it straight away, i still think it's a bit of a weasel move that he comes in beats Bisping wins the title and runs away, i think thats what annoys people about the whole thing.

That I can understand. He was the ultimate opportunist, haha.

Post #7   12/7/17 10:32:31PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,946-3,272
Chips:
I think everyone is fine with this...top to bottom.

Post #8   12/7/17 10:39:52PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by JLS

you saw what Branch did to Rockhold early in their fight, i think if Rockhold comes in with his hands down like that with Whittaker then he's going to sleep. I've seen Whittaker first hand work on his tdd, he has focused so much on this area of defending takedowns and if taken down getting back up

I've been riding the Whittaker train for a while. Even when people said Romero was a bad matchup for him i said put up or shut up and win some real cash on that fight.

I've been saying it for a while that Whittaker would be Champ. I like him a lot. He's humble, not sure if you've noticed that my favorite types of fighters are the humble ones.

Reasons I don't really like Conor, T-Ferg (I like the way he fights but that mouth uggh), Cody Garbrandt, now TJ, Michael Johnson, Weidman, Bisping, DC. Those guys are all annoying and cocky.

My favs; Poirier, Edgar, JDS, Cruickshank, Jinh Yu, Gus, Whittaker, Marlon Moraes, Borg, Moraga, GSP, Erick Silva, Michael Chandler, Condit, Lawler, Cowboy, you get the drift.

Post #9   12/7/17 10:47:32PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think everyone is fine with this...top to bottom.

Exactly! GSP didn't do anything except probably speed the MW division up.

Weidman and Gastelum can go get a few wins up and the rightful 2 guys Whittaker and Rockhold are fighting.

Worked out great! Couldn't agree more jae

Post #10   12/7/17 10:50:09PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Chips:
I take that back Aussie. I picked Jacare over Whittaker.

But that was the turning point where I said yep he's gonna be Champ. The way he beat Jacare was crazy. Completely embarrassed him. Then beat Romero after being injured in the 1st. Yeah I'm taking Bobby Knuckles over Rockhold.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   12/7/17 10:55:21PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
He prepared well for the fight, he won the belt fair and square, he tried to keep the mass on, and in the end he made the right decision for his health and career. And he did it pretty quickly, too - no messing about like Conor.

GSP's the best.

Post #12   12/8/17 12:05:00AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
Although I am disappointed he is not going to defend the belt, GSP has earned the right to vacate without criticism. He is all class and a man of his word that respects the sport and other athletes. He made the decision after only 1 month of winning the belt. In an era where champions fight twice a year or sit and wait for money fights after winning the belt, this is extremely commendable. I wish other champs would have the same class.

Post #13   12/8/17 8:52:39AM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,087-1,305
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
He never had any intention of defending at MW, this was just a cash grab and high profile fight to reintroduce himself to the sport. I'm glad he only took a month, but it was more about posturing than any real consideration about defense. In a sport filled with ego GSP isn't a bad guy, but he's in it for himself and no one else, so don't think for a second this all wasn't planned or that he relinquished the belt to help the division. This is simply about getting back to his real weight and getting another payday ASAP. The only one who really got fooled was Dana White, but I'm sure he had his doubts as well. GSP will never be the "taking all contenders" fighter he once was, but I'm still glad to have him back even if he never fights anyone under 30 again as I've predicted. He already proved he was the GOAT, and unlike Silva I don't think he's afraid of retirement, so what benefit would there be to keeping the same mentality of his youth?

Post #14   12/8/17 10:10:47AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Although I am disappointed he is not going to defend the belt, GSP has earned the right to vacate without criticism. He is all class and a man of his word that respects the sport and other athletes. He made the decision after only 1 month of winning the belt. In an era where champions fight twice a year or sit and wait for money fights after winning the belt, this is extremely commendable. I wish other champs would have the same class.

I wouldn't exactly say that, I question if he ever intended on defending the belt. Joe Rogan asked him point blank in the post fight interview if he was going to defend the belt and GSP completely diverted the question. You think Dana would have let GSP come and fight Bisping if he knew GSP would weasle his way out of defending after ? I don't think so. The fact he never intended on defending is what annoys me about all of this, he just wanted to swoop in before all of these other MW beasts win the title and say he once was the middleweight champ too, which let's be honest was a bullshit title. Props to Bisping for winning it legitimately but his run will always be tainted for not fighting anyone ranked in the top 10 which is a joke.

Post #15   12/8/17 10:40:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2