Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White on Georges St-Pierre’s next move: ‘It’s going to be Whittaker’

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,861-2,683
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It seems a title unification bout is on the horizon for Georges St-Pierre.

On Saturday night, the former UFC welterweight king returned to the Octagon after a four-year layoff to take on UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping in the main event of UFC 217, which took place at the Madison Square Garden in New York City. After two competitive rounds, St-Pierre defeated Bisping with a third-round rear-naked choke, thus becoming the new middleweight champ.

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   11/5/17 1:29:56PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,141-2,951
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Looking forward to it

I just hope it actually happens and that we don't have to wait an extended amount of time.

Post #2   11/5/17 5:27:35PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,020-1,257
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Guarantee this fight never happens. GSP won't fight anyone under 30 in his career again, you can take that shit the bank. He'll either have an "injury", or he'll simply say he only wants superfights. Why on earth would he fight Whittaker?

Post #3   11/5/17 6:19:01PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,822-1,995
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Guarantee this fight never happens. GSP won't fight anyone under 30 in his career again, you can take that shit the bank. He'll either have an "injury", or he'll simply say he only wants superfights. Why on earth would he fight Whittaker?

I think you're gonna end up eating those words jb. GSP isn't Conor or TJ or Woodley. He'll fight Whitaker. I'm not saying he'll win but he's also not known to duck people like Conor for ex.

Post #4   11/5/17 8:27:08PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,901-1,160
Chips:
I feel pretty confident that this fight will happen, but if this turns into ultimate fighter Canada vs Australia I'm going to scream

Post #5   11/6/17 9:40:10AM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
I don't know how gsp will do vs Whittaker. Based on this weekends fight I expect GSP to be finished

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   11/6/17 9:48:14AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,573-2,084
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by jbmoviefan

I think you're gonna end up eating those words jb. GSP isn't Conor or TJ or Woodley. He'll fight Whitaker. I'm not saying he'll win but he's also not known to duck people like Conor for ex.

Why do people mistake Conor making the most money of any mma fighter ever as a sign of weakness or proof he's 'afraid' or 'ducking' anyone? He fought the '45 champ, then the '55 champ, then one of the best boxers to ever live. Doesn't seem to me like he is afraid of anything.

Post #7   11/6/17 9:54:54AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

GSP signed the contract that requires him to defend the belt against Whitaker. The only thing left is settling the money issue.

Although Georges now knows it's a bad fight for him, and I think he'll lose.

Post #8   11/6/17 11:22:58AM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
There aren't any winnable fights for GSP in the top 10 at MW, except maybe Machida or Silva, but with both coming off loses neither makes sense. He might win against Souza or Gastelum, but those are both dangerous fights and both are coming off losses as well.

If GSP stays at MW I think he'll fight the winner of Gas/Anderson, but I see him moving back to WW where he could probably still beat Lawler, RDA, Maia, Condit, Cerrone, or Magny within the top 10.

GSP is back for money and fame, not to prove he's still the best in the world. He knows he'll get crushed by the best in either weight class and I just don't see him taking fights he'll most likely lose.

Post #9   11/6/17 12:53:14PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

There aren't any winnable fights for GSP in the top 10 at MW, except maybe Machida or Silva, but with both coming off loses neither makes sense. He might win against Souza or Gastelum, but those are both dangerous fights and both are coming off losses as well.

If GSP stays at MW I think he'll fight the winner of Gas/Anderson, but I see him moving back to WW where he could probably still beat Lawler, RDA, Maia, Condit, Cerrone, or Magny within the top 10.

GSP is back for money and fame, not to prove he's still the best in the world. He knows he'll get crushed by the best in either weight class and I just don't see him taking fights he'll most likely lose.

I respectively disagree. GSP is not afraid of anyone and never dodged a fight. GSP was already famous, had a legacy cemented in place as the greatest WW of all time, one of the greatest MMA (possibly the greatest) fighters of all time, I assume still has plenty of money, and at the least still plenty of endorsements and other money making options (movies, coaching, etc.) to make money. If he just wanted money, he could have taken an easier fight with Anderson Silva or Nick Diaz and likely would have made more money than he did with the Bisping fight. Heck, if he was just looking for money, he could have campaigned for a fight with Conor, as we all know he likes the money fights and will go up in weight if the money is right. Bisping was the legitimate MW champ. He knocked out Luke Rockhold, who was the UFC champ and former strikeforce champ, and didn't win via a controversial decision, so it's hard to dispute he was the champ. On paper, Bisping was a fight a lot of people, fighters, and experts, expected him to lose, yet he still took the fight. Hard to believe he would back down from a fight from anyone at WW or MW, if he still wants to continue as an active fighter. The real question is whether or not he still wants to fight at his age or if this fight satisfied his desire to compete and he decides to go off into retirement to sleep on his pillows filled with money.

Last edited 11/6/17 3:14PM server time by DBerntson
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   11/6/17 3:08:02PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
I don't want to imply that GSP is scared or ducking fights, it's just that he's only worth about 25mil and getting 5 mil every time he steps in the cage adds about 20% to that. One terrible loss and that opportunity is all but lost. He can lose a close DEC and keep fighting, but one nasty 1rst round beat down and his value drops to a fraction. So yes, he has lots of revenue streams, but none besides fighting that pay 5 mil for a training camp, some media obligations, and 25 minutes work max. Thinking that money isn't the primary reason for GSP's return would be naive, so I just don't see him risking devaluing himself before he's earns a few more big paydays.

I'll happily eat my words though if he defends against Whittaker, but I just don't see it. Robert may be the interim champ, but his name holds so little value that fighting him is almost worthless.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   11/7/17 12:00:24PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by JLS

Posted by jbmoviefan

Why do people mistake Conor making the most money of any mma fighter ever as a sign of weakness or proof he's 'afraid' or 'ducking' anyone? He fought the '45 champ, then the '55 champ, then one of the best boxers to ever live. Doesn't seem to me like he is afraid of anything.

Well he's never defended a Title for beginners. Ijs

And now for him to fight Ferguson he wants to own the UFC first. Yeah he's willing.lmfao

I'd strip the dude and cut him in the same day and let him go get beat up on boxing some more.

Last edited 11/7/17 4:51PM server time by JLS
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   11/7/17 4:50:08PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,730-1,013
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I actually agree with JB. Before the fight GSP was saying it's mandatory in his contract that if he beats Bisping then he has to face Whittaker. Then cut to the post fight interview with Rogan and GSP avoids answering the question directly.

If they can get Conor to avoid fighting contenders and become a two title champion then they can do whatever the fuck they want with GSP. My bet is he drops down to WW again and takes on Woodley or the ufc decided they want to break another ppv record and have Conor vs GSP at 170.

Post #13   11/8/17 1:54:00AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,573-2,084
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by JLS

Posted by jbmoviefan

And now for him to fight Ferguson he wants to own the UFC first. Yeah he's willing.lmfao

I'd strip the dude and cut him in the same day and let him go get beat up on boxing some more.

You'd cut the UFC biggest star bc he is asking for more money? Why do fans loathe fighters asking to be correctly compensated? If the UFC agrees to his terms is he still a pussy?

Post #14   11/8/17 9:14:06AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by JLS

Posted by jbmoviefan

You'd cut the UFC biggest star bc he is asking for more money? Why do fans loathe fighters asking to be correctly compensated? If the UFC agrees to his terms is he still a pussy?

Never said he was a pussy. I've never liked him though, he's a good fighter and demands special treatment. Some of it he deserves but saying he won't fight again until he owns the UFC. C'mon, they let him go too far imo. They should've nipped that before he got carried away.

But I'm sure you and his fanboys are gonna be thrilled when he fights Nate again at a random weightclass without a Title at stake.

Post #15   11/8/17 2:55:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2