Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Valentina Shevchenko blasts judges’ decision at UFC 215: ‘I won this fight’

Print  
In your opinion, who won the fight?
Valentina Shevchenko 6 35%
Amanda Nunes 10 59%
Draw 0 0%
Don King 1 6%
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,814-2,654
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Valentina Shevchenko was baffled at how Amanda Nunes was awarded a split decision victory after their 25-minute clash in the main event of UFC 215 in Edmonton on Saturday night.

The challenger stood dejected with her hands on her hips after Nunes’ successful bantamweight title defense was made official at Rogers Place.

Shevchenko pulled no punches when Joe Rogan asked her how she felt about suffering her second loss to Nunes in her post-fight interview.

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   9/10/17 9:53:20AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,057-2,895
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Look, whether you think she won or lost Shevchenko came off poorly imo. You don't get to throw a temper tantrum after losing a close decision where both fighters barely did anything. If you don't like it you should have thrown more or pushed the tempo more. Both of those women looked like they had plenty of energy to spare after that fight. When you lose a fight by decision and you still have plenty to give then you don't get to complain imo.

And it's easy for me to say this sitting at home but that left a poor taste in my mouth. I didn't pay attention close enough to give this fight a proper score because it was a pretty uninteresting fight but that isn't the point. Both fighters were given a chance last night to step into the main event of a ppv and they both came off poorly.

Post #2   9/10/17 12:29:45PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,706-1,947
Chips:
I scored it 48-47 for Shevchenko but there's nothing to complain about. It was a close fight and far from a robbery.

Post #3   9/10/17 12:29:56PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,869-1,137
Chips:
I feel for Valentina but that really wasn't the fight to complain about. That was very close with nothing serious landing.

Post #4   9/10/17 12:33:41PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,693-995
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Feel bad for Valentina also, i understand her bitterness especially after ufc 213 when she was stood up. I don't think it was boring at all. As much as i wanted Valentina to win i had it 48-47 for Nunes. Definitely i thought Valentina landed the better strikes throughout the fight but if you had to go round by round Nunes just did enough at certain points of the fight. If Nunes continues to fight reserved like that she will be hard to beat, Can you imagine how boring it will be if Nunes fights like that against Holly Holm....just put the thing on fight pass.

It's hard to say Valentina should have done more because she did rush Nunes a few times with either a flurry of strikes or to clinch, but to Nunes credit she was defending well every time a clinch attempt came.

Post #5   9/10/17 3:50:52PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:
I think the 4 finalist of the TUF 26 Women's Flyweight will be Roxy vs DeAnna Bennett and Lauren Murphy vs Barb Honchak.

Valentina is better fit for 125lbs anyways. She's always the smaller fighter at 135lbs and a lot of her pre'UFC fights were in that 125lb range.

Id say she goes down to Flyweight, maybe a fight first against idk anybody really. Then get the 1st Title defense against the TUF 26 Winner. The winner will be crowned December 1st i believe. Have Val fight once around January and of successful fight around May or June against the TUF 26 Winner.

Post #6   9/10/17 4:38:27PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS

I think the 4 finalist of the TUF 26 Women's Flyweight will be Roxy vs DeAnna Bennett and Lauren Murphy vs Barb Honchak.

Valentina is better fit for 125lbs anyways. She's always the smaller fighter at 135lbs and a lot of her pre'UFC fights were in that 125lb range.

Id say she goes down to Flyweight, maybe a fight first against idk anybody really. Then get the 1st Title defense against the TUF 26 Winner. The winner will be crowned December 1st i believe. Have Val fight once around January and of successful fight around May or June against the TUF 26 Winner.

She would crush that division imo. I hope she drops down. I don't recommend dropping weight that often but she's a really good size for 125 and there isn't anyone as skilled as her there yet. All those girls on TUF aren't skilled enough to make that division interesting imo. I like Roxy but when she's arguably the best fighter in the house it's not a good sign. Shevchenko would add some much needed credibility to that division imo.

Post #7   9/10/17 5:17:29PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,693-995
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Imagine Roxy becomes the flyweight champ and her first defence is to Valentina lol.

Post #8   9/10/17 7:24:05PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Imagine Roxy becomes the flyweight champ and her first defence is to Valentina lol.

lol, that's what I'm saying. That's a TKO loss for Roxy I hate to say it. And you can insert any other name from the show. Valentina runs through them all. If she plays her cards right she could be the next JJ.

That'll also garner more interest in her getting a future shot at the Bantamweight title again. Especially if Amanda is still champ when she gets a title defence or two. I'm getting ahead of myself of course but this is the move to make.

Last edited 9/10/17 7:34PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #9   9/10/17 7:31:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,814-2,654
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
For what it's worth, the media was also evenly split on it.

MMAdecisions.com

Post #10   9/10/17 10:43:07PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

For what it's worth, the media was also evenly split on it.

MMAdecisions.com

I saw that. It was so even. I told thev folks in Southgate B Dubbs "Here comes a Split Decision". They were like how'd you know that?

Pgers have a way of knowing these things.

Personally had it 48-47 Val, but these clowns that day robbery on every close fight, ex. Lawler/Cerrone and this one I immediately stop talking to them.

Pearson/Sanchez, Holbrok/Nijem those are robberies.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #11   9/10/17 11:38:31PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Chips:
Yeah I don't really see what's to complain about here. I had Nunes clearly winning 1 and 5. the other 3 rounds were close enough to go either way in my opinion. Personally I gave Nunes 1, 2, and 5 for sure.

The most decisive aspect of the fight in my opinion was that Nunes "appeared" to be the aggressor the entire fight. Which she accomplished by cutting off the octagon and keeping the Shevchenko against the cage.

I thought it was lackluster by both women. My bias is that I've always really enjoyed watching Nunes fight. So as a Nunes fan I put the majority (but not all) the blame on Shevchenko strictly looking for counters and then occasionally opening up with a superman punch combo.

I don't know how anyone could really be upset with either fighter getting the nod there it was just that even.

The TRULY UPSETTING thing to me was how Tony Weeks gave the 5th round to Shevchenko....OH FFS! This guys shouldn't be judging.

Post #12   9/11/17 12:00:53AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Yeah I don't really see what's to complain about here. I had Nunes clearly winning 1 and 5. the other 3 rounds were close enough to go either way in my opinion. Personally I gave Nunes 1, 2, and 5 for sure.

The most decisive aspect of the fight in my opinion was that Nunes "appeared" to be the aggressor the entire fight. Which she accomplished by cutting off the octagon and keeping the Shevchenko against the cage.

I thought it was lackluster by both women. My bias is that I've always really enjoyed watching Nunes fight. So as a Nunes fan I put the majority (but not all) the blame on Shevchenko strictly looking for counters and then occasionally opening up with a superman punch combo.

I don't know how anyone could really be upset with either fighter getting the nod there it was just that even.

The TRULY UPSETTING thing to me was how Tony Weeks gave the 5th round to Shevchenko....OH FFS! This guys shouldn't be judging.

I agree but when you watch that 5th Round over, Val outstruck her at roughly 33 to 15. Nunes had the TD but didn't do a whole lot with it. In fact Val was landing some decent shots from the bottom.

I had it 48-47 Val, but was totally content with the decision. Val outstruck her but you hit the nail on the head, Nunes controlled the center of the octagon for a big bulk of the fight and ultimately that's what gave her the nod.

Post #13   9/11/17 1:33:06AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

All the female divisions need an influx of challengers. The cupboards are just about empty.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #14   9/11/17 3:42:07PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by NE-1

I agree but when you watch that 5th Round over, Val outstruck her at roughly 33 to 15. Nunes had the TD but didn't do a whole lot with it. In fact Val was landing some decent shots from the bottom.

I had it 48-47 Val, but was totally content with the decision. Val outstruck her but you hit the nail on the head, Nunes controlled the center of the octagon for a big bulk of the fight and ultimately that's what gave her the nod.

I guess I'd have to rewatch the 5th. I didn't realize the striking delta was so high. I was also basing my argument on that the stat line on the screen during the 5th stanza had Nunes with 3 / 6 TD which all occurred in the final frame. So if that is the true scoring, giving Nunes 3 takedowns and taking the back although she couldn't any offense with it, was really why I gave her the 5th round.

Last edited 9/12/17 10:18PM server time by ne-1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   9/12/17 10:17:11PM