Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ben Askren retirement fight against Shinya Aoki set for Nov. 24 in Singapore

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,045-2,890
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The irony of Dana not wanting Askren as champ is that he now has Woodley as champ. I'd much rather watch Askren fight and since Woodley has gotten the belt he's said his fair share of stupid comments too.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #16   9/5/17 9:53:41PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,756-1,131
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Agreed...

And as far as uncontrollable goes we have mcgregor lol.

Post #17   9/5/17 10:17:25PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,774-3,081
Chips:
I'll take an Askeren fight over a Woodley fight any day.

Post #18   9/6/17 12:05:03AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,524-2,048
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by isk

I'm the other way. Askren's loud and outspoken, but he tends to have a point - like he's either building his perceived value as a competitor or he's calling out shady shit. He's also a top notch fighter who isn't afraid to take a punch.

On the other hand, Aoki's an obnoxious child who crumbles when things aren't exactly his way, like if he can't wear his bullshit compression pants in the cage/ring. Whenever he competes against a legit top 10-15 fighter with fair rules, he gets trucked (Alvarez, Melendez, et al). And let's not forget how he flipped off the crowd for booing him after a completely unnecessary arm break, then he blamed it on temporary demonic possession.

Hope Askren beats the shit out of him.

Don't worry, Askren will likely have 30 lbs on him..........really challenging himself in his retirement fight, fighting a guy coming off a TKO loss. I know Aoki is dangerous, but he's also a lot smaller than Askren, so I am doubting he pulls off a sub.

Askren via top game wrestling boring decision.

Askren finished 6 of his last 8. If he is not being challenged it's bc Dana didn't want to sign him bc he was afraid Funky would lay on top of his most exciting fighters and beat the living fuck out of them.

I'm FlashyG and I love to hug UFC nuts

fixed

Post #19   9/6/17 10:09:34AM   

allaf

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1-2
Chips:
I would love to be surprised, but I think it will be an easy win for Askren as he is heavier and will always be on top and constantly moving.
Aoki will never catch him.

Post #20   9/6/17 10:15:29AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,045-2,890
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by isk

I'm the other way. Askren's loud and outspoken, but he tends to have a point - like he's either building his perceived value as a competitor or he's calling out shady shit. He's also a top notch fighter who isn't afraid to take a punch.

On the other hand, Aoki's an obnoxious child who crumbles when things aren't exactly his way, like if he can't wear his bullshit compression pants in the cage/ring. Whenever he competes against a legit top 10-15 fighter with fair rules, he gets trucked (Alvarez, Melendez, et al). And let's not forget how he flipped off the crowd for booing him after a completely unnecessary arm break, then he blamed it on temporary demonic possession.

Don't worry, Askren will likely have 30 lbs on him..........really challenging himself in his retirement fight, fighting a guy coming off a TKO loss. I know Aoki is dangerous, but he's also a lot smaller than Askren, so I am doubting he pulls off a sub.

Askren finished 6 of his last 8. If he is not being challenged it's bc Dana didn't want to sign him bc he was afraid Funky would lay on top of his most exciting fighters and beat the living fuck out of them.

fixed

Lol, the guy is one of the people who runs the Best of the Rest League. Gotta come up with something better than that Bill.

Post #21   9/6/17 6:19:56PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,400-2,457
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by isk

fixed

Beats hugging FKA's.

But you and everyone else here knows I'm 100% right on this one.

There's no defending Dana's handling of the Askren situation. He shit the bed on that one from the very start and refusing to even negotiate with him was arguably the biggest blunder he's made in a long series of blunders.

Askren was and is one of the best WW's in the world and would have been an instant challenger to GSP or any other WW at the time he was a FA. Unfortunately at the time he was also considered painfully boring to watch despite being 2 fights into the turn around of his fighting style and his record made him deserving of a hefty contract despite there being no sign that he'd be a needle mover for PPV sales.

That's why the UFC didn't pursue him, not because Dana was afraid he'd destroy his exciting fighters. If Dana thought Askren was capable of beating the shit out of any of his top fighters in a way that would sell PPV's he would have signed him in an instant and slammed Bellator for ever letting him leave.

Dana's an ass, but his motivation has never been about anything more than making money.

Post #22   9/6/17 6:21:47PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,756-1,131
Chips:
I still don't understand how bills the 2.0 of me.....he's been here longer so shouldn't i be billsnewaccount 2.0?

I'd love to buy into that logic of not moving the needle except the current champ(longtime training partner and pupil of askrens)woodley is no needle mover either.

I think that Dana coulda got Askren for a mid tier price had he even negotiated.....

Post #23   9/6/17 7:18:02PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,400-2,457
Chips:

Posted by FKA

I still don't understand how bills the 2.0 of me.....he's been here longer so shouldn't i be billsnewaccount 2.0?

I'd love to buy into that logic of not moving the needle except the current champ(longtime training partner and pupil of askrens)woodley is no needle mover either.

I think that Dana coulda got Askren for a mid tier price had he even negotiated.....

Nah...Bill's definitely the 2.0 of you. His entire persona changed after you came along. You've been consistent since you joined the site.

I agree that Woodley is no needle mover, and I bet Dana likes him as champion as much as Ben Askren likes Dana.

I think it would have cost the UFC at least the 100k per fight he started at in OneFC. Which realistically is very reasonable for a guy like Askren. The problem was at the time Askren was considered so boring that ambien used to watch his fights to be able to sleep.

Obviously looking at things now, Ben has changed considerably. I'm sure some of his absolute dominance over the past few years has been the product of facing lesser competition, but even the biggest Askren haters would have to admit that he's been as much fun to watch over his time in One FC as any other weltherweight in the world.

I'm not a huge fan of this as his farewell fight, but truthfully I don't think this will be his last fight. He left the door open saying the only thing he would come back for is to fight the #1 fighter in the WW division (providing that person wasn't Woodley). Here's hoping someone knocks off Woodley and we get to see Funky end his career where he should have been fighting the past 5 years.

Post #24   9/6/17 9:20:21PM   

bayzel22

Learning to Sprawl

bayzel22 Avatar

Career:4,463-2,766
Camp: The Elite 4 Horseman
Chips:
I hope Aoki subs him just bc I'm a Shinja fan. Only know of 2 humans, Nick Diaz over Takanori Gomi(When The homie Gomi was a top 3 155er in the world) and Aoki TWICE once against Hellboy Hansen and Katsuhiko Nagata(this one mounted) to ever pull off gogoplata wins in not only legit top of the line MMA fights but legit fighters as well. Honestly 2 rare dudes that have the balls to even try it. That Gomi Diaz fight is a classic and classic Nick takes a beating but then starts to pitter patter a couple thousand punches sucking the life out of Gomi who shoots for desperation takedown which classic Nick lets happen so he can instantly slap in the mythical GoGo. Aoki flipped that dude off because he wouldn't tap and made aoki snap his arm. Yeah he can be a little ween but dude is a top 3 MMA sub artist and don't forget he snatched up Eddie and tapped in less than a min. He lost to those guys in America where you can stay active with poopy elbows where as in Japan you have to throw punches creating separation. America has that stupid cage too so guys like Coutore could "grind" you out. Randy gets destroyed consistently in Pride. Chuck has a good career but is never champion. He and Tito were UFC champs whilst pride held the other top 20 LHW. Chuck tried to win a Pride GP so mad respect. He was having a rough go with a 20 year old Reem before that looping right crushed him. Than was taken out by Rampage. Rampage was then murdered by Wandy. It was all set up for Chuck and Wandy in the finals but Page spoiled it. That's what's up too, Page KO'd Chuck in Pride and the UFC but was never even top 5 in Pride. I would have loved to see Chuck fight Arona, Wandy, Sakaraba, Shogun, Coleman, Hendo, Lil Nog ect. Plus you know he would have been game for Cro Cop, Hunt and the likes. He would have won his share and lost a few badly but itbwoukd have been great. With no cage Randy loses everytime. Prime Chuck against PRIDE Hendo bc I have no idea his real prime. Dude beat Bisping at 63 and should have retired champ fight. Omg Chuck may have even pulled it out. Shogun would have murdered him like He finally did. He KOs Vitor. That was rough times Vitor. Not TRT head kicking everyone to death Vitor. Silva kicked him in the face and he said I wanna do that to people lol. Chuck KOs Sakaraba after getting subbed. Lil or Big Nog could go either way. Same with Arona. He either kills.him or gets subbed. Cro Cop ends him with a LHK. Lol Fedor takes his soul. Him and Wandy fight 5/6 times. He KOs Reem everytime. Catches Page once out of 3 or 4. Pride was so good BJ and Pulver both wanted Gomi. Nick Diaz was made for pride. Matt Hughes didn't need a cage so he would have been a stud. When Mir and Arlovski and Sylvia were fooling the uneducated into thinking they were the best HWs they are consistently getting mauled in Japan. Wonder if big Tim was too tall for a Cro Cop LHK? He gets Kod anyway I guess. Big Tim vs that huge Zulu Zulu tho. That's Timmy all day plus he doesn't have to get to 265. He can stay at 300. Fedor breaks his hand on all 3 of their jaws. Timmy vs Alex E tho. Mir subs a few gets KO d by most. Has some classics vs Nog and Barnett. Doesn't KO washes up Cro Cop. Gets KOd in 24 seconds lol. People had no idea. Pride was so beast Anderson Silva went 2-2 than came to the UFC to become a legend. He was 170 then getting TKOd by Hughes. Idk if he could make 155 but 155 Hughes would have been awesome. Just crushing random dudes with ease and going to war with Penn and Gomi. Pulver was teammate and buddy but they would have thrown down like practise for that cash. He beats up that Newton a few convincing times instead of the I was chocked out he was knocked out, but woke up first win. Silva flying knee killed that guy.

Post #25   9/6/17 10:16:50PM   

bayzel22

Learning to Sprawl

bayzel22 Avatar

Career:4,463-2,766
Camp: The Elite 4 Horseman
Chips:
I was a wrestling kid from Iowa so I follow HS and college wrestling. I remember Johnny "Bad Boy" Hendricks when that was his nick name and he was a cocky destroying everyone in his path before he was the nice one punch Knocking you out cold Johnny and remember him absolutely destroying Askren is HS wrestling twice I believe. I remember Bad boy easily beating up Tyrone "Zero National Championships" Woodley. Askren was a 2 national champ and 4 time all American even at Missouri which has him and his bro as their only memorable guys. Johnny was a HS legend in Oklahoma a place that breeds wrestling excellence and a legend a OKST which is p4p the only other school breaking bread with the Iowa Hawkeyes at the big boy tables. I wish his retirement fight was with JOHNNY. On his game, keep it standing and knock Askren out Johnny. Makes me sick Woodley knocked Robbie out. Its just not even right.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #26   9/6/17 10:39:15PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,481-2,125
Chips:
Aoki pretty much said Askren owned him in grappling.

Not sure why he took this fight.

War Aoki

Shame on UFC again, it's bullshit that Askren never got a shot in the big show

Post #27   9/9/17 3:14:07PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,481-2,125
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by FKA

Nah...Bill's definitely the 2.0 of you. His entire persona changed after you came along. You've been consistent since you joined the site.

I agree that Woodley is no needle mover, and I bet Dana likes him as champion as much as Ben Askren likes Dana.

I think it would have cost the UFC at least the 100k per fight he started at in OneFC. Which realistically is very reasonable for a guy like Askren. The problem was at the time Askren was considered so boring that ambien used to watch his fights to be able to sleep.

Obviously looking at things now, Ben has changed considerably. I'm sure some of his absolute dominance over the past few years has been the product of facing lesser competition, but even the biggest Askren haters would have to admit that he's been as much fun to watch over his time in One FC as any other weltherweight in the world.

I'm not a huge fan of this as his farewell fight, but truthfully I don't think this will be his last fight. He left the door open saying the only thing he would come back for is to fight the #1 fighter in the WW division (providing that person wasn't Woodley). Here's hoping someone knocks off Woodley and we get to see Funky end his career where he should have been fighting the past 5 years.

Askren waived his matching clause from Bellator, and even offered to fight for free if he lost.

Dana never claimed money was an issue either. He just said Ben wasn't ready, which we all know was BS.

I don think Askren's heart is in it anymore tbh.

Post #28   9/9/17 3:20:43PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,697-1,939
Chips:
Personally id like to see Askrens last fight be at Bellator against Rory MacDonald. That would tell the whole story as i think Rory is Top 3 WW worldwide.

Post #29   9/9/17 5:35:02PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2