Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ben Askren retirement fight against Shinya Aoki set for Nov. 24 in Singapore

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,759-1,977
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former Bellator MMA welterweight champion and reigning ONE Championship 170-pound kingpin Ben Askren, 33, is just about ready to call it a career, saying goodbye to mixed martial arts (MMA) after his final fight this November in Singapore.

But it won't be easy.

“Funky” will tangle with grappling wizard Shinya Aoki, 34, at the upcoming “Immortal Pursuit” pay-per-view (PPV) event overseas, which also features a championship rematch pitting the undefeated Angela Lee against Mei Yamaguchi.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   9/4/17 6:40:22PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:
War Shinya!

Post #2   9/4/17 6:40:47PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,822-3,133
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Am I a jerk to hope Aoki breaks his arm?

Post #3   9/4/17 8:11:15PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Am I a jerk to hope Aoki breaks his arm?

Not at all!

Post #4   9/4/17 8:42:30PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
I'm the other way. Askren's loud and outspoken, but he tends to have a point - like he's either building his perceived value as a competitor or he's calling out shady shit. He's also a top notch fighter who isn't afraid to take a punch.

On the other hand, Aoki's an obnoxious child who crumbles when things aren't exactly his way, like if he can't wear his bullshit compression pants in the cage/ring. Whenever he competes against a legit top 10-15 fighter with fair rules, he gets trucked (Alvarez, Melendez, et al). And let's not forget how he flipped off the crowd for booing him after a completely unnecessary arm break, then he blamed it on temporary demonic possession.

Hope Askren beats the shit out of him.

Post #5   9/4/17 9:28:11PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by isk

I'm the other way. Askren's loud and outspoken, but he tends to have a point - like he's either building his perceived value as a competitor or he's calling out shady shit. He's also a top notch fighter who isn't afraid to take a punch.

On the other hand, Aoki's an obnoxious child who crumbles when things aren't exactly his way, like if he can't wear his bullshit compression pants in the cage/ring. Whenever he competes against a legit top 10-15 fighter with fair rules, he gets trucked (Alvarez, Melendez, et al). And let's not forget how he flipped off the crowd for booing him after a completely unnecessary arm break, then he blamed it on temporary demonic possession.

Guess it's a battle of some guys that aren't well liked.

Post #6   9/4/17 9:30:24PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Perhaps! I was critical of Askren for taking what seemed to be the easy route in his career, when it looked like he could've gone to the UFC instead of Bellator or OneFC, and then grapplehugging guys to death. That said, he's turned a corner in the last several fights. He fucking mauls people now. Standup's still not great, but his chin has held up, and on the ground he's like a welterweight Cain Velazquez.

He's choosing to retire at a good time, but after his work I'm reasonably confident he could've beaten Lawler and Hendricks - maybe even Woodley if his standup defense remained smart and he kept up the takedown pressure. Woodley's an animal but I don't know how well he'd adapt to funk wrestling.

Post #7   9/4/17 9:37:12PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,794-2,669
Chips:

Posted by isk

Don't worry, Askren will likely have 30 lbs on him..........really challenging himself in his retirement fight, fighting a guy coming off a TKO loss. I know Aoki is dangerous, but he's also a lot smaller than Askren, so I am doubting he pulls off a sub.

Askren via top game wrestling boring decision.

Post #8   9/5/17 4:38:58AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

He never fought up to his potential.

Post #9   9/5/17 11:49:35AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,555-2,066
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by isk

Don't worry, Askren will likely have 30 lbs on him..........really challenging himself in his retirement fight, fighting a guy coming off a TKO loss. I know Aoki is dangerous, but he's also a lot smaller than Askren, so I am doubting he pulls off a sub.

Askren finished 6 of his last 8. If he is not being challenged it's bc Dana didn't want to sign him bc he was afraid Funky would trash his most exciting fighters.

Post #10   9/5/17 2:36:14PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,555-2,066
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by isk

Let's not forget Alvarez v Aoki 1 tho...

Last edited 9/5/17 2:40PM server time by billsnewaccount
Edit note/reason: n/a

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   9/5/17 2:39:47PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,822-3,133
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Posted by isk

I actually think Askeren is a fun fighter to watch, and could have been a top ten guy if he'd had stiffer competition. He just makes me cringe when he talks.

Post #12   9/5/17 4:01:04PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by isk

Askren finished 6 of his last 8. If he is not being challenged it's bc Dana didn't want to sign him bc he was afraid Funky would lay on top of his most exciting fighters.

fixed that for you.

Post #13   9/5/17 4:59:26PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,102-2,926
Chips:
Strange fight to go out on. Ben's career will always be a bit of a waste imo but he's well off, went undefeated his whole career (albeit not against the best but he certainly wasn't fighting bums) and secured a very good career after fighting for himself. He very rarely took any damage in fights too so he's not going to deal with some of the issues other mma guys will have to deal with later in life. Good for him.

Post #14   9/5/17 6:30:10PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,795-1,170
Chips:
Askren is one of the best WWs in the world and aside from having some of the best wrestling in the biz he has evolved to have some ferocious ground and pound as well.

We all pride ourselves on our knowledge and ability to dissect fights and fighters.....askren is a really tough outting for any WW anywhere.

Askren unfortunately wasn't brought in due to the baldfather blackballing him after they had a little spat lol.

Dana seen askrens raw talent and knew he couldn't risk having askren become champ and then talk his unfiltered dialogue to the media.....he wouldn't have been able to control askren.

We all wanted him in the Ufc but he did just fine for himself and had quite a career.

Aoki is a great sub fighter but Askren will not be caught easy and will be pounding the holy hell out of aokis face.Really cool style matchup.

Post #15   9/5/17 6:39:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2