Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Yamasaki: I’m a 5th degree black belt, Chiesa was out

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,056-1,419
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
In the main event of UFC Fight Night 112, lightweight Michael Chiesa was in a rear naked choke and appeared on the verge of going out when referee Mario Yamasaki stopped the fight with 23 seconds to go, awarding the fight to Lee. Chiesa immediately protested, and later appealed the loss with the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission. OSAC executive director Joe Miller.

Link

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #1   7/13/17 1:23:14AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
Okay. I was about to bash Mario until I googled his credentials...I just don't understand how being so versed in martial arts, he can fuck up so often. Granted, reffing MMA is one the most thankless jobs on the planet, hell refereeing any sport is the most thankless job. But seeing as Mario is so rooted in martial arts, I do not understand how he sees his viewpoint as the end all. There seemingly is no way Chiesa could be out entirely then immediately come back and stand up to argue to call a fraction of a second later (I have basically zero martial arts experience aside from some intro BJJ classes, until I learned it was McDojo and gracefully bowed out). Chiesa should win that appeal..hopefully. But Mario should not say "I'm a 5th degree...yada yada". It makes himself look bad. Just say "I was in there, I made the call I feel was correct." Not that hard.

Post #2   7/13/17 1:49:55AM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,873-1,599
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm actually one of the few who didn't rip into Yamasaki. Sure Chiesa wasn't out but Mike did stop defending for a sec and let it look like he gave up and was going to go out, only to flip once Yamasaki saved him from actually passing out.

Not saying Yamasaki is a great ref but he was in the right spot for this once and I don't think Mike has a valid complaint since he stopped fighting the choke and I hope Lee moves on too another better opponent.

Post #3   7/13/17 2:19:08AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I'm actually one of the few who didn't rip into Yamasaki. Sure Chiesa wasn't out but Mike did stop defending for a sec and let it look like he gave up and was going to go out, only to flip once Yamasaki saved him from actually passing out.

Not saying Yamasaki is a great ref but he was in the right spot for this once and I don't think Mike has a valid complaint since he stopped fighting the choke and I hope Lee moves on too another better opponent.

While I believe that Chiesa may have been on the verge of going out; and yes he stopped most, if not all of his motion of escape. I would have rather he gone limp rather than get into this premature stoppage debate. And I think he'd feel the same way. While he looked trapped. We have seen Chiesa get out of precarious positions in the past. He is a wizard on the ground. For all we know he was just trying to find a small slip and escape. But realistically, he might have been caught and done. But this sucks we are here. And I do feel he has a valid complaint. Name another fight where the same thing has taken place and has not been a place of discussion. Chiesa bounced back instantaneously. Granted, Yamasaki could have been on top of that stuff more that icing on a cake. But I doubt it. If Chiesa was our, there should have been a delay in his reaction. Chiesa bounced up fater than an addict looking for a score.

Last edited 7/13/17 3:16AM server time by tildengolfer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/13/17 3:14:30AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,687-991
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I have been rolling for nearly 5 years now. I have never been choked unconscious but only one time something weird happened. I was rolling with a brown belt he had me in a tight gi choke, I held on for a bit and tried defending but tapped. I remember everything up until I tapped and then it's like I missed the few seconds when we reset and all of i sudden I was sitting on my ass ready to tap hands to go again. I asked the guy who I still roll with to this day (Paul) if I went out and he said no...just a bit weird

With all that being said I still think Yamasaki should have let Chiesa go out properly..it's only a choke we are talking about here no trauma involved at all

Post #5   7/13/17 3:23:41AM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,751-1,126
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Every choke should only be stopped due to tap or loss of consciousness.....like mentioned its not a truma or ligament tear or bone break .....

Your job as a ref is to keep fighters safe,and insure everything is legal.....

stand back......watch the eyes.....when in quedtion check the hands and ir arms to check for consciousness.....

Being highly credentialed only makes his idiotic stoppages more mind boggling....

Post #6   7/13/17 1:43:59PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,765-3,074
Chips:
Well, I'm a 1st degree white belt, no stripes and I say it was an early stoppage.

Post #7   7/13/17 3:24:44PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,687-1,934
Chips:
Despite his Black Belt credentials. I think he has better credentials at making that stupid heart thingy with his hands before a fight like a 12 year old girl.

Regardless if Chiesa was or wasn't going out it was a bad stoppage. Its a refs job to realize a fighter has taken too many punches and isn't properly defending himself and waiving it off due to strikes which results in a Tko.

Its not the refs job to think a submission is tight and deserves to be stopped. It was likely that Chiesa was gonna tap or go out.

But all that stoppage did was add unnecessary controversy to a fight that could've been avoided had he did his job properly. It did 2 things; 1. Took away from what could've/should've been an outstanding legit stoppage from Lee and 2. Who really knows what if the Maverick was able to survive 20 seconds or somehow get out.

We'll never know.

Post #8   7/13/17 4:13:25PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,320-1,440
Chips:

Posted by JLS

Despite his Black Belt credentials. I think he has better credentials at making that stupid heart thingy with his hands before a fight like a 12 year old girl.

Dana? Is that you? Have you graced the PG with your presence?

All jokes aside, I'm with most of the rest of you. Let him go out proper before stopping it. What's truly baffling to me is that unlike other refs he never even checked his arm and lifted it up and dropped it to see if he was out. Everything about that stoppage confuses me. It's a choke, not bones snapping or anything. Let it play out fully before stopping it so we don't have these situations keep happening a handful of times a year.

Post #9   7/13/17 6:22:00PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,687-1,934
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by JLS

Dana? Is that you? Have you graced the PG with your presence?

All jokes aside, I'm with most of the rest of you. Let him go out proper before stopping it. What's truly baffling to me is that unlike other refs he never even checked his arm and lifted it up and dropped it to see if he was out. Everything about that stoppage confuses me. It's a choke, not bones snapping or anything. Let it play out fully before stopping it so we don't have these situations keep happening a handful of times a year.

Dana did use that line on Yamasaki. One of the best things I've ever heard Dana say/Tweet. That was Gold imo.

Post #10   7/13/17 6:28:32PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,038-2,887
Chips:
Yup, Yamasaki stinks. I don't care what degree he is. There's more evidence to support he's an awful ref than there is to support his black belt wasn't bought off of Ebay.

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   7/13/17 10:39:00PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,793-2,623
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Tap or go to sleep should be only ways to end a rnc

Post #12   7/14/17 8:35:20AM