Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Christy Mack's gut-wrenching letter on War Machine: 'When he gets out, he will kill me'

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,650-2,560
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
War Machine on Monday was sentenced to 36 years to life in prison for the brutal 2014 assault of Christy Mack.

Machine, born Jon Koppenhaver, will be 71 years old when he becomes eligible for parole. He was found guilty on 29 of 34 charges that included sexual assault, kidnapping and coercion, though the jury deadlocked on the most serious charges of attempted murder.

Before the sentence was handed down, Mack, born Christine Mackinday, read a letter to the court, breaking down several times as she described her relationship with Machine and the attack that left her with broken teeth, a fractured rib and a severely ruptured liver.

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #1   6/5/17 9:57:44PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,577-2,941
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Mr. Machine is going to get killed or commit suicide within 5 years. Dude has a huge target on his back. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Post #2   6/5/17 10:18:50PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,569-2,980
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Just a couple of thoughts:
1. Does anyone care that he found God after he landed himself in prison for the rest of his life?
2. How in the fuck does he still have access to twitter?
3. If someone can not be punished efficiently or reformed properly in 10 years then why do we have to keep them around, they just continue to be a burden on society. Don't waste my tax dollars paying for this assholes food, a/c, electrical, plumbing, and internet bills!
4. Can we now be finally done with this, Jeremy Jackson is lo g forgotten and that is the fate that Job Koppenhaver deserves as well.

Post #3   6/6/17 12:08:30AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,577-2,941
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Answers:
Not me, I'm an atheist and he's a scared hypocrite.
I have no idea.
I think prisons don't do much to rehabilitate anybody, they just become better criminals most of the time but I don't agree with capital punishment in this case, let him rot.
I think we are done with it. It's not like this a topic that has been up on the boards every day, like say Connor and Floyd; so I think it's safe to say we won't be talking about Mr. Machine much after this recent announcement.

Last edited 6/6/17 1:43AM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/6/17 12:55:02AM   

WorldChampions

Learning to Sprawl

WorldChampions Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
If he did that then he deserves for that punishment.....

Post #5   6/6/17 5:22:21AM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
One thing I find wild in all this is that it's not over. Christy's physical and mental rehab alone are more than any innocent person should bear, but the changes to her lifestyle, the constant vigilance and the lack of resolution (since Koppenhauer could beat the odds and get out) add up to an overwhelming and inescapable dread. Sure, it's not likely, but when someone goes through an unlikely and traumatic event that challenges one's preconceptions about safety, probabilities aren't as comforting as they once were.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but this dude should never see the light of day, not without extensive and demonstrably effective rehabilitation.

Post #6   6/6/17 5:54:39AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,793-1,088
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I've never been a death penalty guy myself, but I think there is an ethical and monetary question here. If we really are content to allow someone to "just rot" for the rest of their existence, is there really a reason we are doing this? Are we just punishing them to make ourselves feel better that we are hurting them back?

Post #7   6/6/17 8:25:03AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,927-1,274
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
There is no ethical question. The MAJORITY of inmates in prison are there for nonviolent crimes. The prison system is a money maker plain and simple.

Now as for long sentences and what is the point; IMO it is the psychological torture of knowing you are in a cage and that is what your one and only existence will consist of. It is a way to avoid the guilt of actually taking that persons life (unless they themselves took someones), but yet still a "satisfying punishment"

just my .02

Post #8   6/6/17 10:18:54AM   

TheCatFather

In Full Mount

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:3,050-2,114
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
War Machine or as he will be known in prison as Sperm Storage!

Post #9   6/6/17 10:58:40AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

It also costs more to execute someone than to incarcerate them for the rest of their life (legal fees for the death penalty case, plus death row costs for years waiting).

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #10   6/6/17 10:59:24AM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,920-1,692
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
71 years old sounds good. I don't believe he'll ever stop being dangerous - so keeping him away from the public until he's too old to do any damage sounds reasonable.

Plus, for Christy's sake, it will probably feel like justice served if he's not eligible for parole until that long.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #11   6/6/17 2:40:01PM