Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anthony Johnson reveals next step in his career after UFC retirement

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,803-2,649
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Greener pastures, indeed.

Anthony Johnson, for the first time, revealed the industry that he is leaving MMA for in a radio show interview this weekend. And it certainly sounds like it’s the marijuana business.

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   5/15/17 12:14:40AM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,947-1,210
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Good for him.

Post #2   5/15/17 12:42:16AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:4,973-3,006
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Very happy Rumble is doing what he wants to do. Other than him missing weight at WW a few times, he's always seemed like an incredibly nice guy, and he's been one of the most exciting fighters in the short history of the UFC.

This said, I'm a little alarmed by this scenario. One of the most recognizable names in the business leaves the sport for what equates to a start up? Obviously there could be a lot of factors in his decision, maybe he's concerned about his health, maybe this company is actually going to make him millions, maybe he was just fed up with the grind. I am trying to reserve judgment, but it's really hard to not assume fighter pay playing a part in this. How many sports lose top talent due to shit like this? Danas net worth is probably higher than that of every UFC champ ever, combined. I recognize that there could be a lot more at play here, maybe I'm being presumptuous, but Jesus.

Post #3   5/15/17 2:05:00AM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,947-1,210
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I can assure you it's not challenging at all to make significant money off of a medical operation. Based on what I've seen of fighter pay I make more than 95% of the fighters on the roster, and I'm only using two rooms of a house. Can't image what the gains on something like a warehouse are, millions I'm sure.

Post #4   5/15/17 9:36:00AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:4,973-3,006
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

I can assure you it's not challenging at all to make significant money off of a medical operation. Based on what I've seen of fighter pay I make more than 95% of the fighters on the roster, and I'm only using two rooms of a house. Can't image what the gains on something like a warehouse are, millions I'm sure.

I hear ya there and don't disagree at all, my dad actually has some involvement with this industry. I'm just alarmed that a guy headlining pay per views isn't being paid an amount that makes this idea less appealing to him. The fighter pay drum has been beaten loudly and frequently, but usually it's in regards to undercard guys.

Post #5   5/15/17 9:58:27AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,393-2,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jbmoviefan

I hear ya there and don't disagree at all, my dad actually has some involvement with this industry. I'm just alarmed that a guy headlining pay per views isn't being paid an amount that makes this idea less appealing to him. The fighter pay drum has been beaten loudly and frequently, but usually it's in regards to undercard guys.

I think his business is going to be up here in Canada taking advantage of our country legalizing it next year.

If he's one of the few companies that get the green light to sell for recreational use he'll make more money in his new business than he would in 10 lifetimes of MMA.

Post #6   5/15/17 11:58:57AM   

MammaMia

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I wish him success, he's had me in awe of his punching power numerous times. He deserves some peace and success outside the octagon.

Post #7   5/15/17 12:58:41PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,320-1,440
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Very happy Rumble is doing what he wants to do. Other than him missing weight at WW a few times, he's always seemed like an incredibly nice guy, and he's been one of the most exciting fighters in the short history of the UFC.

This said, I'm a little alarmed by this scenario. One of the most recognizable names in the business leaves the sport for what equates to a start up? Obviously there could be a lot of factors in his decision, maybe he's concerned about his health, maybe this company is actually going to make him millions, maybe he was just fed up with the grind. I am trying to reserve judgment, but it's really hard to not assume fighter pay playing a part in this. How many sports lose top talent due to shit like this? Danas net worth is probably higher than that of every UFC champ ever, combined. I recognize that there could be a lot more at play here, maybe I'm being presumptuous, but Jesus.

If you read the article, which I admittedly didn't get all the way through as I got interrupted by a conversation with my brother while reading it, he actually cites concerns about the effects and all the studies going on about CTE as the major driving force behind his retirement. He said he didn't want that to happen to him and that with a long athletic career like he has had playing football, wrestling, and fighting, it was becoming more and more of a concern for him. He also said something along the lines of "I never saw myself as a fighter. I saw myself as a good athlete that took naturally to MMA"

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   5/16/17 6:19:43AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,056-1,419
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Major money to be made in the near future. I live in California and it was legalized here recently. Ironically you can neither sell nor buy it legally. But you can grow and freely distribute it. They are giving the state of CA until 2021 until they allow 'big business' to move in. So all the little mom-and-pop operations are popping up like weeds. Warehouse spaces are being bought up and rented faster than they can go on the market. They are even pushing for MJ appellations (I live in wine country in norcal) so a procut can be marketed as coming from coveted locations due to climate and soil composition, mch similar to grapes for wine making. If Florida passes legislation, I could see the same thing happening out that way. Good for Rumble to get out of the fight game. I wish him success.

Post #9   5/16/17 2:00:18PM