Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

USADA suspends UFC’s Ricardo Abreu for four years after second anti-doping violation

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,959-1,342
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
As expected, Ricardo Abreu won’t be fighting in the UFC any time soon. Or, more likely, ever again.

The middleweight fighter was suspended for four years by USADA after failing a drug test while serving a previous USADA suspension for a positive test, it was announced by the UFC’s anti-doping partner Friday. The second anti-doping policy violation resulted in the sanction length being doubled.

Abreu, 33, tested positive for nandrolone metabolites and other 19-norsteroids stemming from a sample collected Dec. 21, 2016. The non-natural origin of the agent was confirmed by carbon isotope-ratio analysis, per the USADA release. The substances Abreu tested positive for fall under the anabolic agents category in the UFC’s anti-doping policy.

link

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   5/5/17 7:38:33PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,527-2,944
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm all for discipline but this is too far, imagine if this was some e you actually watched...you'd be pissed if it were Matt Brown, Edson Barboza, or Anthony Pettis...you know, someonelike that. USADA needs to be reigned in a bit. Its offense 1 year, second offense 2 years, third offense lifetime.

Last edited 5/6/17 1:53PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   5/6/17 12:44:25PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,840-1,154
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I'm in favor of these penalties or even harsher, like one and done. These guys can still fight overseas, but there's no room for them in the UFC. Steroids take someone at a normal level of fitness and give them the ability to become extraordinary, and while I enjoy the idea of seeing what someone can do physically when enhanced by science, there should be 0 place for this in legit professional sports. Honestly if used properly PEDs can be relatively safe and incredibly effective, and with modern nutritional science they push the borders with supplements all the time, but at the end of the day everyone should be able to take X, or no one, which is why we need these extreme punishments.

Post #3   5/6/17 2:18:05PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
I'd be stunned if someone like Gus, Cerrone, or Garbrandt got popped, but the only way this thing works is if it's fair and fearless.

I hope that it brings other issues to light as well. Fighter pay, health and safety, training realities, all of it.

Post #4   5/6/17 3:28:39PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,496-2,483
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
4 years, he'll be 37....consider his fighting career over.

Post #5   5/7/17 4:47:04PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,959-1,342
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
It's a two sided coin for me. Because, 1. it cleans up the sport and gives incentive to stay clean. But, 2. Takes guys careers away from them. I am not empathetic for those like Paul Harris but I do feel it was criminal what they did to Wanderlei. It's a weird gray area right now. Longer suspensions pushes guys into fringe organizations with no athletic commissions or doctors, only further putting others and themselves at risk. Only time will make this doping thing more understandable for me.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #6   5/7/17 6:25:09PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

It's a two sided coin for me. Because, 1. it cleans up the sport and gives incentive to stay clean. But, 2. Takes guys careers away from them. I am not empathetic for those like Paul Harris but I do feel it was criminal what they did to Wanderlei. It's a weird gray area right now. Longer suspensions pushes guys into fringe organizations with no athletic commissions or doctors, only further putting others and themselves at risk. Only time will make this doping thing more understandable for me.

For sure, it's complicated. For me it's that I know cleaning up the sport is the way to go, and I also understand there's a high cost to individual humans.

Post #7   5/7/17 8:04:52PM