Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

DC based group to launch UFC competitor

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,939-1,328
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
A number of wealthy individuals have made a small fortune in MMA, by starting with a large one. ProElite XC reportedly lost $36,000,000. The IFL reportedly beat that figure easily, losing $55,000,000. The losing number for Affliction MMA is unknown, but it’s a bunch of millions.

However, the lure of owning a fight promotion apparently remains. Hedge Fund manager and philanthropist Russ Ramsey has reportedly bought World Series of Fighting, and will relauch it in early 2018 as the Professional Fighters League. D.C. venture capitalists Donn Davis and Mark Leschly are co-founders.

link

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   4/19/17 12:07:26PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
AAHHH! So that's why WSOF didn't go under. Ray Sefo has for to be happy about this; assuming he stays on. But a bracket format? 10 mil prize? 10 month time span? Interesting. This will either prove extremely successful or a complete flop like Rebney and his ventures.

Post #2   4/19/17 12:09:48PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,464-2,884
Chips:
This will be awesome, while it lasts. I give it one season. I hope I'm wrong it would be nice to see guys like Fitch and Okami get a chance at a huge payday.

Post #3   4/19/17 1:08:20PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,532-983
Chips:
WSOF is officially dead lol.

My biggest problem with WSOF is it did absolutely nothing unique it copied everything from other orgs and did it worse.

One night tourney.....they copied 2months after bellator lol.

Now they change the name.....get more money behind them.....and announce more copying.

They are basically taking IFL,TUF,Roadfc million dollar tournament and original bellator format and rolling it all in to one......

IFL failed ,TUF is about 5-6 yeard past experation date,Bjorns style of seasons and tournaments eventually went stail and stalled champions from competing,also limited the fighterd who were wanting to join.

Both Sefo and that carlos guy are staying on board.......its unclear what will happen to the 100 or so fighters currently signed by WSOF.

I think this will last 1 season maybe 2 but i don't see it being revolutionary other then the million dollar prize money but even that isn't original.This new venture doesn't even have a tv deal yet as wsof deal ends in 2017,as well as a few lawsuits still being fought this will be intriguing.

I've heard NBC,and Showtime are in the the market for mma brands who knows?

I mean WSOF had a good name value base of fighters as well as solid international talent,but they couldn't garner views for shit.......i don't see how changing the name and just changing format will somehow propel them into actually being recognized.

Im down to watch ........

Post #4   4/19/17 2:41:58PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
Agree with above. I was thinking this lasts one season and doesn't garner the attention they hoped for and try for a second year before calling it quits. FKA makes a good point. This does nothing to promote fighters other than use them as a spectacle in hopes the fighter is willing to do it and pocket money. the UFC has this model but they also have the largest fight org in the MMA sphere. It will ultimately come down to marketing. And if a guys wins the tournament. Then what? Go again next year? What is this, UFC 1?

Post #5   4/19/17 3:23:18PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,467-2,908
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I liked all those shows, IFL was really fun to me. I think TUF tried that same think once with ATT vs Blackzillions. But it totally doesn't work, it doesn't create the hype of a sport like Basketball or Football.

Post #6   4/19/17 7:13:11PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,144-2,324
Chips:

Posted by FKA

WSOF is officially dead lol.

My biggest problem with WSOF is it did absolutely nothing unique it copied everything from other orgs and did it worse.

One night tourney.....they copied 2months after bellator lol.

Now they change the name.....get more money behind them.....and announce more copying.

They are basically taking IFL,TUF,Roadfc million dollar tournament and original bellator format and rolling it all in to one......

IFL failed ,TUF is about 5-6 yeard past experation date,Bjorns style of seasons and tournaments eventually went stail and stalled champions from competing,also limited the fighterd who were wanting to join.

Both Sefo and that carlos guy are staying on board.......its unclear what will happen to the 100 or so fighters currently signed by WSOF.

I think this will last 1 season maybe 2 but i don't see it being revolutionary other then the million dollar prize money but even that isn't original.This new venture doesn't even have a tv deal yet as wsof deal ends in 2017,as well as a few lawsuits still being fought this will be intriguing.

I've heard NBC,and Showtime are in the the market for mma brands who knows?

I mean WSOF had a good name value base of fighters as well as solid international talent,but they couldn't garner views for shit.......i don't see how changing the name and just changing format will somehow propel them into actually being recognized.

Im down to watch ........

I agree with everything you said here, but it seems hypocritical for you to criticize WSOF for copying failed organizations while promoting Bellator as Strikeforce 2.0 and RIZIN as the return of PRIDE.

Those 2 Organizations failed too, just less spectacularly.

Post #7   4/19/17 10:04:41PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
Major difference being both RIZIN and BELLATOR are headed by the guys who ran the original organizations they are attempting to resurrect.WSOF Just did what everyone else did.....with no direction,where as coker and sakakibara definitely have a direction.

Pride and Strikeforce went under but they were #1 and 2 orgs in the world .......IFL,Bjorn era Bellator.....not so much.

Post #8   4/19/17 10:40:43PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
Coker and Sakakibara are resurrecting dead orgs they owned.....wsof is putting lipstick on a pig pinning 100$ to its neck and entering it into a beauty contest.

Wsof has nothing original about it......funny thing is the new format would match the name better because of the season format........but of course professional fighters league is much better right???

Post #9   4/19/17 10:44:47PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
The ufc is actually a failed org as well flashy......remember zuffa bought them from SEG

Wsof is a copy wanna be org.....professional fighters league is more of the same.

Post #10   4/20/17 1:06:32PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,464-2,884
Chips:
To be fair, they are all copying the UFC to some extent.

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   4/20/17 3:25:36PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,467-2,908
Chips:
They are, if people were just realistic about the project and treated it as what it is instead of expecting ridiculous results then they could approach it rationally and actually build something great. The time zones and national pride alone makes organizations like Rizin, KSW, and M1 a viable source of competition on the global stage but no one is competitive with the UFC here. Your not competing with the UFC in the U.S. because they are the standard here. There isn't going to be a Pepsi to rise up against Coke, or a Burger King to take on McDonald's. Most people here still don't use the term MMA very often.

Post #12   4/20/17 11:08:15PM