Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White answers champ Demetrious Johnson's call: 'I'm going to get him his belts'

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,056-1,419
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Prior to UFC on FOX 24, Demetrious Johnson called out UFC management for not awarding him with a new belt for each of his successful flyweight title defenses. UFC President Dana White heard the comments, and he plans to make things right with “Mighty Mouse.”

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #1   4/17/17 11:17:40AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
Wow. Just wow. MM has got to be the most disrespected champion the UFC has ever had. This is just disgusting. I'm beyond disappointed in the UFC brass to be reusing MM's belt over and over again. Get this mother fucker his belts!!!

Post #2   4/17/17 11:19:24AM   

Bythar

Standup Guy

Bythar Avatar

Career:2,570-1,398
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I know they used to give out a belt each time back in the day. They would even call them an x time UFC Champion if I recall correctly. I didn't realise they stopped doing it.

Post #3   4/17/17 12:09:47PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,740-3,129
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So what your saying is...that a company that spent $4.2B can't afford DJs belts...they are only like 2 to 3 grand a piece. Here is a link to Dave Millican's site, specifically the page that lists options and prices. He is one of the dudes that makes the belts for the UFC, WWE, and Bellator.

UFC Beltmaker

After knowing this I expect to see a badass trophy case with the belts all set up nicely in his home. For free...with a custom case too. Fucking cheap bastards!

Post #4   4/17/17 1:02:53PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,393-2,454
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

So what your saying is...that a company that spent $4.2B can't afford DJs belts...they are only like 2 to 3 grand a piece. Here is a link to Dave Millican's site, specifically the page that lists options and prices. He is one of the dudes that makes the belts for the UFC, WWE, and Bellator.

UFC Beltmaker

After knowing this I expect to see a badass trophy case with the belts all set up nicely in his home. For free...with a custom case too. Fucking cheap bastards!

I bet the cost of Johnson's belts are about even with the amount of money he brings in PPV sales.

Not sure why but people just don't want to watch him fight. Guy is unbelievable, yet fans would rather watch just about anyone over him.

Post #5   4/17/17 6:36:57PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by jae_1833

UFC Beltmaker

I bet the cost of Johnson's belts are about even with the amount of money he brings in PPV sales.

Not sure why but people just don't want to watch him fight. Guy is unbelievable, yet fans would rather watch just about anyone over him.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I have a couple co-workers and work next to a brewery and all the guys are casual fans and know the big names: McG, Rousey, GSP but when I told them DJ was fighting on Saturday every single one of them said they've never heard of him. I then went on to explain his credentials and how he could tie Anderson Silva's record and they had their interest peaked until they asked what weight class he was in; that's when every single one scoffed or showed extreme disinterest 'to see little guys fight.' I personally just don't understand. Maybe it's the marketing machine? Maybe he's far too humble and not enough of a bad guy to create headlines. Dude deserves all the respect in the world. He's got it from me. Even my dad is a casual fan as well and has started jumping on the MM band wagon in his last two or three fights. But only knows about his fights when I inform him. Again, maybe it's the marketing machine that is the UFC. If they poured the same amount of advertising and commercial spots as they did Rousey & McG, I would bet DJ would be up there too.

Post #6   4/17/17 6:50:41PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,740-3,129
Chips:
Yeah I asked a dude I know about him and the answer was fabulously ignorant. I felt defeated before a debate even began and just left it alone.

Post #7   4/17/17 11:50:39PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,765-3,074
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
People just don't like the little guys. I don't get it myself; the fights are nonstop action and the grappling is by far the most exciting to watch in the sport. I think if the people who scoff at him would actually take the time to watch some of his fights they'd become fans. My only gripe is, that they lack that 1 punch knockout power a lot of the time.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   4/18/17 3:15:16PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,393-2,454
Chips:
I think it goes beyond weight but his weight is a big factor. Conor isn't exactly big but he's the biggest draw in the sports history. DJ isn't a shit talker and he doesn't have an entire country backing him. He's relatively boring outside the octagon and that probably hurts his sales as well.

His biggest draw rate was around 200k buys. All of his fights are in the UFC's lowest selling shows of all time.

It's odd, because he's arguably the most talented fighter they've ever had, and one of the most dominating champions in the sport.

Post #9   4/18/17 4:39:03PM