Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

California proposes increase in fine for fighters who miss weight

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,900-1,299
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) is continuing its efforts to combat extreme weight cutting.

Next week, the commission will vote on a measure that would increase fines for fighters who miss weight, per CSAC meeting documents.

Link

Post #1   3/9/17 4:10:38PM   

Volcano1990

MMA Regular

Volcano1990 Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
completely stupid, wont make a difference, khabib was set to make 500,000 if he didn't miss weight , he did and lost 500,000 and a title shot but still missed weight, that's like the same as a 500,000 doller and title opportunity fine but he still missed. so its pointless

Post #2   3/9/17 11:38:35PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,718-1,106
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
This pertains to fighters who still fight despite missing weight. I'd be fine to see them increase the penalty from 20% all the way to 60% or more being forfeited to the opponent including their win bonus should the guilty party emerge victorious. I've never agreed with the commission getting half this money though, as it should all go to the fighters, and seeing as how the commission literally does NOTHING to earn their pay. Very few things are more unprofessional in the fight game than not making weight, but robbing fighters to pay a bunch of worthless A-holes doesn't really help either.

Post #3   3/10/17 11:15:47AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,393-2,834
Chips:
Seems like a money grab for the commission to me, if it were to go to the other fighter that would be great but this would really screw the guys who're making peanuts as it is.

Post #4   3/10/17 1:26:20PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,900-1,299
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

This pertains to fighters who still fight despite missing weight. I'd be fine to see them increase the penalty from 20% all the way to 60% or more being forfeited to the opponent including their win bonus should the guilty party emerge victorious. I've never agreed with the commission getting half this money though, as it should all go to the fighters, and seeing as how the commission literally does NOTHING to earn their pay. Very few things are more unprofessional in the fight game than not making weight, but robbing fighters to pay a bunch of worthless A-holes doesn't really help either.

Legit question: how do AC's make revenue?

With out of the way. I'm not sure a ridiculously steep fine would merit an answer to the weight cutting issue. It may only aggravate the problem. I can foresee a young & hungry competitor on the regional circuit not wanting to forfeit so much of his/her oh-so-little-pay to fight. This, they will go to extremes to make the weight; possibly leading to more hospitalizations and ultimately a death, which in turn could force state AC's to remove MMA legalization from their state because of 'a weight cutting epidemic'. I can see the headline already. Personally, I don't really have a constructive suggestion or answer because weight cutting is engrained in the very fabric that is the culture of Fighting/MMA. I think there is a long and arduous road ahead to change this systematic way of thinking. Maybe we start at the under 18 level. No weight cutting in school sports. That could be a good way to start. Get it engrained in the younger demographics that weight cutting is not be a part of the social epidemiology of MMA. Then (after a decade) hopefully the weight cutting issue will not be a part of the culture.

Post #5   3/10/17 1:27:13PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,402-2,852
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Taxes bro, we taxpayers pay the commission's wages. Each by state.

Post #6   3/10/17 5:21:10PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:4,665-2,795
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I like the notion that the CSAC wants to fix the problem, but I don't think harsher fines (through the conventional streams) are actually going to remedy this. As somebody already stated, it didn't prevent Khabib from completely withdrawing and losing half a million, and there are enough cases of repeat offenders losing portions of their purse (Hendricks, Gastelum, Rumble @ 170) to make me think that the fine doesn't appear to dissuade people from missing weight. That said, you never know which people are thinking "damn I'd better make weight, don't wanna lose 20% of my purse", and maybe bumping that number up to a higher percentile would encourage even more fighters to be aware of their cuts.

Personally, I've always thought the solution to this problem was a system of pre-weigh ins, although that has some drawbacks itself. You force people to weigh in ____ weeks ahead of time to ensure they're on track, and fine them if they aren't within a predetermined range of their target weight. This is a bit of a high school wrestling thing, and in that case it's meant to keep kids safe, but it could help keep people on track and also give the UFC far more awareness to have replacement fighters on hand. If dude weighs in 35 pounds over 2.5 weeks out, it might be time to get a fill in fighter on deck if nothing else. With this, there's the obvious issue of fighters with extreme cuts being forced to move up a class, so maybe it's not worth it. Or, it is worth it if you think people ought not be fighting at a weight 20 pounds below what they actually walk into the octagon at. There's also a possibility that this idea doesn't actually incentivize this enough, but I do think there's merit to the concept.

Post #7   3/11/17 11:15:31AM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,402-2,852
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't like the idea of taking money out of the fighters' pockets unless they are actually cheating (then with a NC if they win too). I do think the situation requires a look into, but not as hard as correcting some other issues first. Like, punishment that fits the crime first...why Machida has a year and a half ban for a supplement that likely doesn't enhance performance. There are some other things as well, like pay and fighter rights that should have priority. Right now the mindset on weight cutting is where it is and changing that will not be fixed in a short period of time.

Post #8   3/14/17 7:18:27PM