Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA Playground - where has everyone gone and WHAT can we do?

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,288-793
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
reptiler13 knows where it's at.

Tweaking the site will help prevent more people from leaving, but that doesn't get more people to this site. Word of mouth will and the best way through word of mouth these days is social media. Most of the mma fighters and people involved have twitter accounts. Get to them so they can suggest this site to their followers. I seen mmaplayground has a twitter account that looks inactive. It has a few fighters following it, one being Ronda Rousey. You need to get more fighters and people following that account and really giving it a push. You can do all the tweaking to the site to make it the greatest, but if no one knows about it then how are they supposed to come? Pushing hard on twitter and facebook should get this done and if no one wants to do it then enjoy the 770 people that are left on this site.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #16   2/1/17 3:06:58PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:3,813-2,039
Chips:
The owner doesn't want to put any effort into a sinking ship

Post #17   2/1/17 3:51:13PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,734-2,585
Chips:
I do like this more than ufc fantasy game

Anyway to merge with another fantasy site
Under a new name and upgrade the website

Post #18   2/1/17 6:19:19PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,609-1,900
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Michael_Corleone

1) Have tangible prizes. Doesn't have to be money.

2) Move B-level UFC/FS1 cards to BOTR. Even the most hardcore fans are getting burnt out trying to keep up.

3) Implement live scoring updates, similar to other fantasy sports games. I'm more invested when I can see my score go up while having a good night against my opponents.

4) Allow members to have more than one account. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Agree with the first 3. There is just too many events, and you just get burnt out doing research etc for every single new/crappy fighter that comes along

I can't do anything about 1. I think its a chicken and egg situation. You need more members to afford prizes and you might need prizes to attract new members.

As far as #2 goes I'll raise the idea with DotheMMAth and the other mods, because this would make BoTR cards stronger while also making the main league a little less taxing for picks.

#3 might also be possible. I seem to recall the stats updating as we went for a single event in the past. It was probably a product of someone running the stats after each fight. It would be a pain for whatever mod is running the event, but as long as DTM says it wont break the site I'll test it out.

#4 is probably also a no go. We no longer ban members for multiple accounts but we do make them give up one if its determined someone has more than 1. I don't see any benefit to allowing multiple accounts.

I honestly don't think it would be a problem to run the stats after each fight. It would only be a hassle to the one mod that is doing it. If whoever elects to do it, and that's their "Main" responsibility that should work.

I remember a few times with B.O.T.R cards that a JMMA or Brazilian card had the results/ or Round entered wrong and we were able to adjust and re-run the stats, I don't see why it would be a problem for UFC cards as well.

Post #19   2/2/17 10:37:26AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,759-2,624
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

2) Move B-level UFC/FS1 cards to BOTR. Even the most hardcore fans are getting burnt out trying to keep up.

This was actually voted on previously and got shot down hard.

Poll

I informed DTM that I was getting feedback of burnout, but the poll showed a different opinion.

Post #20   2/3/17 12:57:32AM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,119-1,182
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Poll

I informed DTM that I was getting feedback of burnout, but the poll showed a different opinion.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Post #21   2/3/17 2:53:33PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,702-3,025
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
The sheer number of picks you have to make is rough, I hardly research anything anymore. It is a chore to pick every fight. I've actually skipped several BOTR cards because I just don't have the time. I think word of mouth is the most viable option. Prizes would be nice as well (but I'm sure that's a pain in the ass). If there was a way that we could optionally kick in 20 bucks a season and put in a gofundme or escrow account type thing that would be fun. I'm not sure how possible that would be though, I imagine there are some legal issues there.

Post #22   2/3/17 3:32:19PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,351-2,427
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Poll

2 years of an even more intense schedule might have changed those results though.

I know I'd vote differently if the poll were held again.

Post #23   2/3/17 5:47:52PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by grappler0000

Poll

2 years of an even more intense schedule might have changed those results though.

I know I'd vote differently if the poll were held again.

Agree. Back then I would have agreed with that poll, but now I'd vote for the FS1 and Fightpass cards to go to the BOTR because of the increase in cards and fights.

I think we should do another poll and see what results we get.

Post #24   2/3/17 6:39:03PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,032-1,405
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Agree with a lot of what's said. I believe that an over-saturation of UFC cards has proven cumbersome and has made making pick turn into a chore. I had my younger brother join a few years back and he was all gung-ho about it until he missed one card and the camp leader kicked him, no questions asked. So, I also believe the hard-core camps are finding less availability of members out there to abide by their rules and regulations, making this medium/site less fun.

I feel the casual fan would get back into it if there were 2 The Big Show options. Hear me out...What if one Big Show League only/strictly focused on the big PPV cards. The bigger MMA names might draw more attention to the site if people only pick once a month or so, and then the forums would keep them coming back. The other Big Show would be all the UFC cards just like what's going on now. Remove the Casual section and replace with a PPV Big Show and ALL Big Show.

I would also like to see the interface of the website change. The main page is confusing and beyond overwhelming for a first time viewer to know where to click or even where to start. I had my circle of friends join the site some time ago and not even half followed through because they didn't even know what they were looking at when they pulled up the main page. I am sure the creators have poured A LOT of time, energy, and most importantly money into this site. Not sure where the revenue comes from aside from ads but it might prove better in the long run to use a website design tool that a lot of 'hip' sites use. Seamless interface that is easy to navigate is the most important thing when it comes to drawing attention from someone on their first visit to the site.

Maybe MMAPlayground sponsors smaller fighters in lesser organizations? I don't know how much it costs to do so on someones trunks or banner but you must advertise to your demographic. I am not sure how the site is being advertised aside from word-of-mouth.

I would like to see this website stay around as I do like coming here but as the numbers were presented, there is a drastic drop off and it is only leading to others like myself feeling stale as there are usually only half a dozen or so people actively participating on the forums regularly.

Post #25   2/3/17 7:38:59PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

I would also like to see the interface of the website change. The main page is confusing and beyond overwhelming for a first time viewer to know where to click or even where to start. I had my circle of friends join the site some time ago and not even half followed through because they didn't even know what they were looking at when they pulled up the main page. I am sure the creators have poured A LOT of time, energy, and most importantly money into this site. Not sure where the revenue comes from aside from ads but it might prove better in the long run to use a website design tool that a lot of 'hip' sites use. Seamless interface that is easy to navigate is the most important thing when it comes to drawing attention from someone on their first visit to the site.

Maybe MMAPlayground sponsors smaller fighters in lesser organizations? I don't know how much it costs to do so on someones trunks or banner but you must advertise to your demographic. I am not sure how the site is being advertised aside from word-of-mouth.

I would like to see this website stay around as I do like coming here but as the numbers were presented, there is a drastic drop off and it is only leading to others like myself feeling stale as there are usually only half a dozen or so people actively participating on the forums regularly.

A makeover would be nice. It really isn't the easiest site to navigate through, especially for new members. I did get a buddy of mine to sign up and he didn't like how the site was set up, he felt it was difficult to navigate through and now he's not around making picks anymore.

Getting out there as a sponsor would be awesome. On trunks and/or a banner, but idk how that all works and how much it costs.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #26   2/3/17 9:30:31PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,980-1,303
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
The PG shouldn't be relying only on it's fantasy game to survive. The novelty is gone sad to say, it isn't 2007 anymore.

The key to sites like this is the community and forums at this point. It has to be a place people want to come to, has to be cool and modern.

Honestly the site looks like it is stuck in 2009. It just doesn't feel up to date with other sites of "today" IMO.

The social media pages are all but non existent at this point in time. That IMO is the first step to attracting new members. But it isn't so easy, marketing cost money and you have to spend money to make money.

From the owners perspective I can see how they would not want to spend anymore money than is necessary. It just so happens though that is the crux/paradox of it all

Last edited 2/3/17 9:32PM server time by george112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   2/3/17 9:31:32PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:
I still would vote to keep the UFC cards in the Big Show and leave the L2 League the way it is.

I get the frustration with the saturated cards but where do you draw the line at. I think the idea of putting Fight Pass cards on The BOTR sounds interesting but at the end of the day, it's gonna potential create more issues in the long run IMO.

It would be difficult to pick and choice which cards went where. Some FS1 cards are very good, others aren't. Fox cards are hit and miss lately. And to use PPV #'ed Events only would create crazy long Season's.

No way possible to have the good BOTR fights go on the Big Show and the weak UFC fights go on BOTR. To many grey areas and it would be too much to differentiate which ones go where.

BOTR has had mostly strong events lately and its easy to come up with 15-18 quality fights on a regular. There's also Casual League for those that want to pick Main card fights only.

Post #28   2/4/17 12:55:54AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

The social media pages are all but non existent at this point in time. That IMO is the first step to attracting new members. But it isn't so easy, marketing cost money and you have to spend money to make money.

From the owners perspective I can see how they would not want to spend anymore money than is necessary. It just so happens though that is the crux/paradox of it all

Maybe we could get a person or 2 to run the Social Media area. It'll start off slow but could gain some positive steam after a while especially if those Social Media sites are used frequently and with someone that knows how to use them efficiently.

Good suggestion OG Geaorge.

Post #29   2/4/17 1:00:07AM   

One_Hit_Quit

MMA Regular

One_Hit_Quit Avatar

Career:4,607-2,613
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

The PG sort of mirrors my group of friends. A few years back my basement had a dozen dudes every other weekend cheering for The Spider, Rousey & GSP. These days it's 2 to 3 dudes asking me who Amanda Nunes is. & that's on a good weekend! McGregor vs Alvarez brought 7 dudes over to watch & it felt like the good old days again but last weekend I couldn't find one person interested in watching Pena vs Valentina.. the lack of star power & fair weather fans is contributing to the PGs mass exodus imho. sad stuff

Same here. Back when the UFC did a PPV a month every seat in the house was full. It was easier for the casual fans to keep up because there was fewer fighters and fewer fights. I noticed it when the fox deal started. They were doing fights on FX and Fuel, plus PPV's and the big fox cards. Now it's just friends when they have free time, and the fights happen to be on.

As far as the site goes, it sucks losing all those members but I'm not sure there is anything that can be done. I'm pretty sure the PG isn't the only MMA site losing lots of members. MMA is everywhere now, it's not something you had to seek out like before. Everything comes back into style. I'm sure there will be another boom in 5-10 years like there was around UFC 100.

Post #30   2/4/17 2:59:12AM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5