Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Marlon Vera steps in to face Jimmie Rivera at UFC Fight Night 103

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,983-1,357
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
UFC Fight Night 103 is getting a new fight.

The UFC announced on Friday that Ecuadorian fighter Marlon Vera will step in for the injured Bryan Caraway to fight Jimmie Rivera on Jan. 15 in Phoenix. The fight will kick off the main card on FOX Sports 1.

Caraway was scheduled to face Rivera in what was to be a battle for contention in the bantamweight division, but Caraway was forced to withdraw from the bout with an undisclosed injury just 11 day’s beforehand.

Vera, 24, will look to make it back-to-back wins for the first time in the UFC. Having competed on The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America, Vera is 2-2 in the UFC and is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Ning Guangyou in November in Melbourne, Australia.

link

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   1/6/17 10:15:19PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
BEYOND YUGE if he can get the upset. Vera is always one strike away from ending anyone's night. But Rivera's pressure will be too much. Wrestle and get a win is the safe bet.

Post #2   1/6/17 10:16:40PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,453-1,832
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Just added this fight.

Post #3   1/6/17 11:54:09PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,535-2,501
Chips:
This fight is now off too

Post #4   1/7/17 4:40:39PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

This fight is now off too

Saw that. Rivera turned it down, I guess. Not far fetched. He's come too far to lose to someone outside the top 10-20.

Post #5   1/7/17 9:23:52PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:
Jimmie Rivera off UFC Phoenix. Article via MMA Fighting ???? Jimmie Rivera wants to keep climbing the UFC bantamweight ladder, and that’s why he won’t be fighting at next week’s UFC Fight Night 103.
Just a day after the UFC announced that Rivera would be fighting short-notice replacement opponent Marlon Vera, Rivera took to Twitter on Saturday to announce the fight wasn’t happening. Going from top-5 bantamweight Bryan Caraway, who was Rivera’s original opponent, to an unranked fighter in Vera, just didn’t make sense to Rivera. “I found out Monday Caraway was out,” Rivera told MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani. “Didn’t find anyone new until Thursday. My coach and I discussed that it wouldn't be a fair fight for the guy. I’m not bullying some guy who wins some and loses some. I want to fight the best of the best. I trained for Caraway, so either I wait for him to get better or fight someone at the very top of the weight class.” When asked why he accepted the fight and then changed his mind overnight, Rivera said that it was because wasn’t being realistic. “That was me thinking as a fighter and not being realistic,” Rivera explained. “I've always got fights that no one wanted. First fight was late-notice fight, knock the guy out [Marcus Brimage]. Next was a Brazilian in Brazil, beat him [Pedro Munhoz]. Next was Yuri [Alcantara] who know one wanted to fight, beat him. Then, [Urijah] Faber and beat him toe-to-toe. I trained two and half months for Caraway. Two weeks out he says he got hurt. “All I ask, if it's going to be replacement, give me someone who's going to benefit me. If I fight Vera, it makes me look like a bully and I teach my kids not to be a bully. Plus, he's got a daughter that he's trying to make money to get her surgery done. I got a heart man, I can't stand there and stop that.” ??: Esther Lin #UFC #MMA #UFCFightNight103 #UFCPhoenix #JimmieRivera I WANT TO FIGHT THE TOP RANK CRUZ OR TJ or CODY!!!!

Post #6   1/8/17 1:04:08AM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:
Can't say I blame Jimmie. I think he would have TKO'd Vera pretty quickly....and furthermore, it does nothing for him since Vera is not ranked.

Personally I would like to see him fight TJ next but looks like Cody/TJ will be next if Dom doesn't get an immediate rematch.

Post #7   1/8/17 1:08:04AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:4,872-2,777
Chips:
Props to Vera but also very understandable from Rivera. I like the sound of Cruz. Have the winner of that fight the winner of Garbrandt/Dillashaw.

Post #8   1/8/17 5:34:58AM   

reptiler13

MMA Regular

reptiler13 Avatar

Career:1,624-1,109
Chips:
"Plus, he's got a daughter that he's trying to make money to get her surgery done. I got a heart man, I can't stand there and stop that.” ??:"

I understand his thinking about taking a lower ranked fighter, does not make any sense and I am good with that but don't make the comment above and turn down the fight Vera is looking to fight to make money and you are denying him that.

Post #9   1/8/17 3:02:41PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,806-1,555
Chips:

Posted by reptiler13

"Plus, he's got a daughter that he's trying to make money to get her surgery done. I got a heart man, I can't stand there and stop that.” ??:"

I understand his thinking about taking a lower ranked fighter, does not make any sense and I am good with that but don't make the comment above and turn down the fight Vera is looking to fight to make money and you are denying him that.

Egh funny how 2 different people read the same comment. Yes you're right he is costing him a paycheck but he is saving him a loss that can lead to him getting cut and not being able to provide for his daughter. He cost him his show money but not taking a loss maybe better for Vera

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #10   1/8/17 4:27:00PM   

reptiler13

MMA Regular

reptiler13 Avatar

Career:1,624-1,109
Chips:
I agree with what you are saying but when was the last time someone got cut for taking a short notice fight. Hell look at Cummins, he got smashed by DC and he is till in the UFC. I am just saying tell it like it is, I can respect that fact that he did not take the fight cause it does nothing for his career to fight him.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #11   1/10/17 3:16:55PM