Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Conor McGregor too special (and too small) for rubber match against ‘massive’ Nate Diaz

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,288-793
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Conor McGregor, who also held gold at 145 pounds before relinquishing that title to Jose Aldo, is no stranger to the welterweight division.

“Notorious” made two trips north to fight Nate Diaz.

The power-punching Irishman was subbed by Diaz at UFC 196 — because the savage Stocktonite was clearly three times his size — but was able to battle back and capture a unanimous decision win in their UFC 202 rematch.

That makes them tied at one apiece.

So, when can mixed martial arts (MMA) fans expect their highly-anticipated rubber match? Never, according to promotion president Dana White, because fighting a MASSIVE guy like Diaz could be a career killer.

Link

Post #1   12/23/16 2:06:39PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Dana's statement:

"The problem with the rubber match is Diaz is a 170 pounder. He's a massive guy. Conor is a very talented guy, he's very, very good. Every time he goes out there he looks better... [But] we should have never done it in the first place. That's what weight classes are for. They wanted to do it, we did it. They wanted to do it again, we did it again. They're 1-1. There's only so many of those wars you can be in in your career. It takes a lot out of you. Some guys go into wars like that and they're never the same after it. Look at Meldrick Taylor when he fought Julio Cesar Chavez. He was never the same after that fight. We've had those type of fights too. I believe that Rory MacDonald was never the same after the Robbie Lawler fight. That fight ruined him. I don't want to do that to someone special like Conor McGregor. It's just not right."

Post #2   12/23/16 2:08:41PM   

Nathan_Arizona

MMA Regular

Nathan_Arizona Avatar

Career:393-252
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Dana has gone EMO.
Is he going to make all of the fighters walkout to Morrissey songs from now on?

Post #3   12/23/16 3:20:08PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,402-2,852
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This doesn't bother me at all...I really don't want to see LW and FW with even muddied waters, it's already fucking ridiculous with Interim belts and all. How about this:

Conor stays at LW and defends against Khabib, with Tony getting the winner. Aldo fights Max and unifies the FW belt under 1 champion. If Conor wants to (after the 2 previously mentioned fights) he can drop back down for an immediate title shot against the winner of Aldo vs Max.

Post #4   12/23/16 3:40:23PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:4,665-2,795
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I dont fundamentally disagree with Danas ideology here, but the application is very selective. He didn't seem to have an issue having Anderson fighting Forrest Griffin, who quite literally walked around at least 30 pounds heavier than Anderson. And Anderson is the GOAT, so him being special was not in question either. He already had like 5 defenses by that point.

Post #5   12/23/16 4:56:58PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,354-2,407
Chips:
Is this a joke? Seriously Dana, you are gonna spit this bullshit. Nate had a grand total of 2 fights at 170lbs before he fought Conor there. Guys are within 7 lbs of each other as Diaz stated he was around 175 lbs in the cage the third fight.

Just giving the McGregor trolls more ammo. Nate has fought over 20 times in the UFC at 155 lbs.

Post #6   12/23/16 7:31:22PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Is this a joke? Seriously Dana, you are gonna spit this bullshit. Nate had a grand total of 2 fights at 170lbs before he fought Conor there. Guys are within 7 lbs of each other as Diaz stated he was around 175 lbs in the cage the third fight.

Just giving the McGregor trolls more ammo. Nate has fought over 20 times in the UFC at 155 lbs.

Amen

Post #7   12/23/16 11:59:07PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,900-1,299
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by xdanish020

Amen

Preach, brother. Preach!!!

Post #8   12/24/16 4:25:12AM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,402-2,852
Chips:
Well, if Conor just stays at LW and Nate does his normal thing which is fighting at LW then it's all good. He can't stop the two from making a huge deal out of it and once the casuals hear the cries they will join in. I bet the fight happens sometime next year.

Post #9   12/24/16 12:04:11PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,197-2,229
Chips:
Not only are Dana's comments insulting to the huge list of fighters who have been allowed to get their brains beat out on a regular basis (apparently they aren't "special") but his comments are completely disingenuous. He comments are nothing more than a twist on the real subject.....McGregor is a moneymaker. Dana is protecting the moneymaker. Dana and the UFC want to ride the McGregor money train as long as possible and they want to make sure that it doesn't get derailed. Nate beat him the first time and broke the strike record on McGregor's head in the second fight (which I gave to Nate)....Diaz is a huge threat to the McGregor money machine. Dana is also making excuses and coming up with fantastical reasons to keep McGregor's stock high. So, if the supposed size difference is the issue....I guess that means that we'll never see a McGregor/Woodley fight or any other 170lbers against McGregor? Of course Dana will have some apologetics, justifications or excuses if McGregor does fight any 170lbers in the future. To be honest...I'll be happy when McGregor is long gone from MMA.

Post #10   12/24/16 2:10:04PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,197-2,229
Chips:
Nate is a loose and flabby stringbean.......yeah, wicked "massive".

Post #11   12/24/16 2:16:59PM   

VitoCapone

Standup Guy

VitoCapone Avatar

Career:2,696-1,722
Camp: Black Widows
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Well, if Conor just stays at LW and Nate does his normal thing which is fighting at LW then it's all good. He can't stop the two from making a huge deal out of it and once the casuals hear the cries they will join in. I bet the fight happens sometime next year.

I can't really figure out what all the talk is about. So, Nate has fought 20+ times at 155lbs. Now, Conor is the 155lbs. Champion. So, please explain the problem with a fight at 155lbs.? A rubber-match is just a tie breaker, weight doesn't matter. Is it the title that makes this inconceivable? The rubber-match should be at 155lbs. and everything works out just fine. So, why haven't more people started lobbying for this fight at 155lbs? Moreover, Dana's dick-tucking reason for not putting McMuffin in harms way is totally unfounded.

Post #12   12/25/16 10:46:40AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:4,707-2,700
Chips:
Getting pretty close to giving up on the UFC tbh. 2016 might have been the biggest year for them numbers wise but as far as quality cards and fights go, this has been one of the worst years. I've fallen asleep during more cards this year than I have the last 10 years combined. They put all this stock into a guy who is exciting, don't get me wrong but it's one guy in a company with hundreds and hundreds of employees. Back in the day they did a way better job of promoting their roster. That's why there were multiple stars. Sure, the fanbase was much smaller but every fan knew at least 10 guys who you'd pay to see.

That and title fights actually meant something. If a fighter was getting a title shot it had very little to do with the shit that was coming out of their mouth or how nice their ass looks in fight shorts... I mean, look at the main and co-main events of the last FOX card. That's a slap in the face to a lot of talented fighters who weren't born with a cute face or a chiselled chin. Sage and Paige are the definition of mediocre fighters and have lost multiple times now but they're still running with them because of their looks. Paige was calling for a "superfight" with Ronda before Waterson owned her. It's disturbing to me that she would even consider herself to ever be 1/2 of a superfight but that's what the marketing machine led her to believe. It's a joke.

Bring on the end of the year RIZIN tournaments. I need a break from the mainstream crap.

Post #13   12/25/16 11:41:10AM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Getting pretty close to giving up on the UFC tbh. 2016 might have been the biggest year for them numbers wise but as far as quality cards and fights go, this has been one of the worst years. I've fallen asleep during more cards this year than I have the last 10 years combined. They put all this stock into a guy who is exciting, don't get me wrong but it's one guy in a company with hundreds and hundreds of employees. Back in the day they did a way better job of promoting their roster. That's why there were multiple stars. Sure, the fanbase was much smaller but every fan knew at least 10 guys who you'd pay to see.

That and title fights actually meant something. If a fighter was getting a title shot it had very little to do with the shit that was coming out of their mouth or how nice their ass looks in fight shorts... I mean, look at the main and co-main events of the last FOX card. That's a slap in the face to a lot of talented fighters who weren't born with a cute face or a chiselled chin. Sage and Paige are the definition of mediocre fighters and have lost multiple times now but they're still running with them because of their looks. Paige was calling for a "superfight" with Ronda before Waterson owned her. It's disturbing to me that she would even consider herself to ever be 1/2 of a superfight but that's what the marketing machine led her to believe. It's a joke.

Bring on the end of the year RIZIN tournaments. I need a break from the mainstream crap.

Amen again!

Post #14   12/25/16 3:32:34PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,861-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

This

Post #15   12/26/16 6:21:14PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2