Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should there be a Hot Bout anymore (Poll)?

Print  
Should there be "Hot Bout" (double points) anymore?
Yes, only Main Card fights 11 31%
Yes, all fights including prelims 11 31%
No, get rid of it completely 14 39%
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:2,684-1,590
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Somehow UFC Fight Night 102 Fight Pass opening bout of 2 no names Gigliotti-Meerschaert (neither have a Wikipedia nor a UFC win prior to the night) was set as a Main Card fight to be eligible as "Hot Bout".

This needs to be fixed for the event to the closest MAIN CARD percentage based on sites user picks to Choi-Swanson (64% to 36%), next closest Kennedy-Gastelem (67% to 33%) if at 48 hours out can be seen as having been closer.

If it's not changed correctly, as stated above, the "Hot Bout" (double points) at minimum be scrapped for this specific altogether & given that these mistakes are happening maybe just do away with it for all events in the future. It's been over 3 years since the last change so maybe it's time for another...

So here's the poll

-Keep it the same MAIN CARD only
-Go back to the old way ALL FIGHTS
-No more "Hot Bouts"

Everyone voted & agreed in the past to MAIN CARD ONLY, here's a quote from the website's programmer & former owner DoTheMMAth in the thread from October 2013.

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Thanks for all the feedback. If the voting keeps going this way it looks like we won't be changing it.

Because it was already done, I copied the job that sets the hot bouts from the dev server as that version stops updating which fight is the hot bout at 48 hours away from lockout. So in

summary:
- hot bout for UFC cards now limited to main card fights
- most likely not changing main card UFC fight point values
- hot bout now locked in place 48 hours before

Link to entire thread

Last edited 12/10/16 3:46PM server time by loosecannon
Edit note/reason: Date
2 total post edits

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   12/10/16 3:14:31PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,288-793
Chips:
Can't be perfect. There's always going to be errors now and then.

The hot bout got stuck on that prelim because the casual league wasn't up until less than 48 hrs to lock time, that's why Swanson/Choi never got noticed. If the casual league was up, then the site would have recognized the main card and Swanson/Choi would have been recognized as the closest fight on the main card. Without the Casual League up, the site just recognizes what the closest fight on the entire card is and that was Gigliotti v Meerschart.

If you picked Gigliotti I understand your frustration, but this is a minor error that I haven't seen occur before and there's no real money or anything on the line so I don't really think it's a big deal if it's a one and done error. Just need to make sure the Casual League is up ahead of time and everything will be all good.

Post #2   12/10/16 3:48:52PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,288-793
Chips:
Now when it comes to should there be a hot bout? I definitely think there should still be a hot bout. It makes it that much funner when you're trying to hit it and it make that fight that much more interesting.

If there was no Casual League then I wouldn't care whether it was on the prelim or the main card, but since there's a Casual League I think it would be best if it was on the main card so it can be the same for both "The Big Show" and "Casual". Probably easier to keep track of.

Post #3   12/10/16 3:52:01PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:4,823-2,751
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I PM'd DTM. Since the hot bout didn't correct itself he should be able to fix it through coding. Hopefully he sees my PM in time but I think he can change it even after the event ends.

Post #4   12/10/16 3:56:52PM   

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:2,684-1,590
Chips:
I'll ask the same additional question I did in the event thread as it may get lost in the shuffle of the combo card.

As I stated I've heard of many people including entire fight camps originally picking one way with the full intention of changing at the 48 hour mark just to scew with the "Hot Bout" and our betting lines.

Is it possible for the betting lines to start being manually punched in as they come out on BestFightOdds at least as they open?

Post #5   12/10/16 4:08:43PM   

Nathan_Arizona

MMA Regular

Nathan_Arizona Avatar

Career:487-299
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I just voted NO. More members should be directed to this forum post. I just don't see the point of a Hot Bout. I prefer a scoring system more focused on the meat of picks...without the extra credit.

Post #6   12/10/16 4:12:48PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,173-2,341
Chips:
I'd prefer that instead of the hot bout being the fight closest in pick percentage that it was entirely random.

It prevents camps from trying to manipulate the system in order to "pick" which fight ends up as the hot bout.

Post #7   12/10/16 4:30:02PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:4,823-2,751
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I'd prefer that instead of the hot bout being the fight closest in pick percentage that it was entirely random.

It prevents camps from trying to manipulate the system in order to "pick" which fight ends up as the hot bout.

I like that idea a lot as well

DTM should be informed. Hopefully he's on sometime today.

Post #8   12/10/16 5:14:08PM   

Nathan_Arizona

MMA Regular

Nathan_Arizona Avatar

Career:487-299
Chips:
So who picks the fight at "random"? Wouldn't that lead to speculation? I could see a lot of members making accusations regarding bias, etc. Scrapping it completely would eliminate those potential issues altogether...and result in purer scoring, imo.

Post #9   12/10/16 5:45:30PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,569-2,481
Chips:

Posted by LooseCannon

Somehow UFC Fight Night 102 Fight Pass opening bout of 2 no names Gigliotti-Meerschaert (neither have a Wikipedia nor a UFC win prior to the night) was set as a Main Card fight to be eligible as "Hot Bout".

This needs to be fixed for the event to the closest MAIN CARD percentage based on sites user picks to Choi-Swanson (64% to 36%), next closest Kennedy-Gastelem (67% to 33%) if at 48 hours out can be seen as having been closer.

If it's not changed correctly, as stated above, the "Hot Bout" (double points) at minimum be scrapped for this specific altogether & given that these mistakes are happening maybe just do away with it for all events in the future. It's been over 3 years since the last change so maybe it's time for another...

So here's the poll

-Keep it the same MAIN CARD only
-Go back to the old way ALL FIGHTS
-No more "Hot Bouts"

Everyone voted & agreed in the past to MAIN CARD ONLY, here's a quote from the website's programmer & former owner DoTheMMAth in the thread from October 2013.

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Thanks for all the feedback. If the voting keeps going this way it looks like we won't be changing it.

Because it was already done, I copied the job that sets the hot bouts from the dev server as that version stops updating which fight is the hot bout at 48 hours away from lockout. So in

summary:
- hot bout for UFC cards now limited to main card fights
- most likely not changing main card UFC fight point values
- hot bout now locked in place 48 hours before

Link to entire thread

You cant change what already happened.
For those who hit the hot bout you would be taking points away.

Hot bout should be either main or prelims and lock it up 48 hours in advance.

Post #10   12/10/16 5:56:36PM   

Stone

In Full Mount

Stone Avatar

Career:3,110-1,878
Chips:
I think it shouldnt be limited to the Main Card, thats weird. It should be the closest fight, thats the most fair.

And I also think it should be that if the event started, and the picks were locked. You should not be able to change it. We had 48 hours to work on it. And I looked at that one more closely because of it.

I like the rule of it not being able to change 48 hours out though.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #11   12/10/16 6:34:31PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,173-2,341
Chips:

Posted by Nathan_Arizona

So who picks the fight at "random"? Wouldn't that lead to speculation? I could see a lot of members making accusations regarding bias, etc. Scrapping it completely would eliminate those potential issues altogether...and result in purer scoring, imo.

If someone is picking the fight that is the exact opposite of Random.

The system would pick one of the fights on the card at random to be the hotbout and nobody would know what fight it was until the event locked, not even the mods.

Posted by Stone

I think it shouldnt be limited to the Main Card, thats weird. It should be the closest fight, thats the most fair.

And I also think it should be that if the event started, and the picks were locked. You should not be able to change it. We had 48 hours to work on it. And I looked at that one more closely because of it.

I like the rule of it not being able to change 48 hours out though.

That is how it currently works. There is no way for a mod to "change" the hot bout before or after the event locks.

The hot bout is controlled 100% by the site. All mods can do is enter fights, results and betting odds if they haven't locked in already.

Post #12   12/10/16 7:38:09PM   

Bythar

Standup Guy

Bythar Avatar

Career:2,549-1,385
Chips:
Why are you raising this now instead of two days before the fights locked?

We all knew that Gigliotti/Meerschaert was going to end up the hot bout for a good amount of time. When the HB locks it adds an element of strategy whereby you can focus on its analysis. It shouldn't have ended up Gigliotti/Meerschaert but it did and we knew that. To change it now after the fact completely invalidates the hot bout.

I wanted to make sure I posted this before the Choi/Swanson (where I have Choi) fight so it didn't look like I was doing it after the fact.

Post #13   12/10/16 9:55:21PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,569-2,481
Chips:
You guys are a bunch of fucking cheaters pulling this shit

Hot bout was in
Fight was done
Now u change it after it locked to help out another fight camp who obviously lost the hot bout last night.

Fuck you people

Post #14   12/10/16 10:13:32PM   

Stone

In Full Mount

Stone Avatar

Career:3,110-1,878
Chips:
You cant change yhe hotbout after the event has been locked. You cant change it after the fight has happened. Who the fuck is cheating on here.

Ban the mod who did so

Wait til JLS gets back

Last edited 12/10/16 10:56PM server time by Stone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   12/10/16 10:55:34PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4