Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cris Cyborg explains why she turned down two UFC featherweight title fights

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,288-793
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC president Dana White recently revealed that Cris Cyborg turned down two opportunities to fight for the inaugural UFC featherweight championship, but according to the Brazilian fighter, she had a pretty good reason for it.

Link

Post #1   12/6/16 11:22:23AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:4,606-2,759
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The fact that Cyborg (apparently) can't even make 145 just illuminates how obnoxious it was for her fans to demand that Rousey/Holm/Tate fight her. So, 155 it is? The equivalent when those demands were at a fever pitch would have been for people to call TJ Dillashaw a coward for not wanting to fight Dos Anjos.

Post #2   12/6/16 11:51:43AM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

The fact that Cyborg (apparently) can't even make 145 just illuminates how obnoxious it was for her fans to demand that Rousey/Holm/Tate fight her. So, 155 it is? The equivalent when those demands were at a fever pitch would have been for people to call TJ Dillashaw a coward for not wanting to fight Dos Anjos.

Doesn't sound like you read Cyborg's response. She can make 145, just not before February because she's dealing with some health issues. Once February comes, book her a 145 lbs title fight and she's ready to take it.

Last edited 12/6/16 12:23PM server time by five-alive
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   12/6/16 12:23:20PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

Doesn't sound like you read Cyborg's response. She can make 145, just not before February because she's dealing with some health issues. Once February comes, book her a 145 lbs title fight and she's ready to take it.

No, I read it. Complained about her weight cut to 140 some more, said she would fight in March on 12 weeks notice. Forgive me if I don't always fully believe fighters' rationale for turning down fights, especially not one who made her hay eating steroid candy bars.

She calls these 135ers out to fight at 140, her fanbase does the same, but when she gets the opportunity to fight 5 pounds higher than that, in her own division with an actual belt, everything is a problem? You need 12 weeks to accommodate a weight cut? Perhaps you ought not fight at that weight, which was my entire point to begin with. If this is so goddamn difficult for you, make like Rumble and move up to an even higher weight. I cannot fathom how its reasonable to ask fighters to move up in weight to meet you when you're so gigantic it takes months for you to even get down to the phony weight.

Post #4   12/6/16 12:54:56PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

No, I read it. Complained about her weight cut to 140 some more, said she would fight in March on 12 weeks notice. Forgive me if I don't always fully believe fighters' rationale for turning down fights, especially not one who made her hay eating steroid candy bars.

She calls these 135ers out to fight at 140, her fanbase does the same, but when she gets the opportunity to fight 5 pounds higher than that, in her own division with an actual belt, everything is a problem? You need 12 weeks to accommodate a weight cut? Perhaps you ought not fight at that weight, which was my entire point to begin with. If this is so goddamn difficult for you, make like Rumble and move up to an even higher weight. I cannot fathom how its reasonable to ask fighters to move up in weight to meet you when you're so gigantic it takes months for you to even get down to the phony weight.

Here, I'll help you out.

"In my last weight cut I almost died. I was in the bathtub cutting weight, and I thought, ‘I will die in this bathtub.’ It was the worst weight cut in my life. My nutritionist George Lockhart, who, by the way, is a UFC employee, didn’t do an effective job with this birth control pill he indicated saying that would help me. But thank God, in a war, I made weight, cutting 24 pounds in a week. My body was retaining a lot of water. The last time I spoke with George Lockhart was in the locker room before my fight. He disappeared after the fight. I’m not working with him anymore."

"For the first time I didn’t warm up in the locker room like I do for every fight because I was too weak. I was just praying for God and went for the fight, and, once again, God gave me the victory. After all this, I went back to my hometown on Sunday and I felt sick on Sunday. My mother gave me tea and I fell asleep. The next day, like I always do after my fights, I did blood tests to see if everything was okay after a terrible weight cut. And for the first time, the nurses couldn’t take my blood, it was so thick it wouldn’t come out, so we couldn’t do tests. I was in treatment for 10 days with Dr. Ulisseia. I was in observation because I was feeling sick all the time."

"You can see that I give no interviews after the fight. I told UFC Brazil PR Lilian (Caparroz) that I wanted to cancel all my interviews and couldn’t travel. After all that, at home, I decided I would not fight at this weight anymore, that I would only fight at my division. And only with 12 weeks’ notice. For my last fight, they told me eight weeks before."

"I got a call from the UFC offering me another catchweight fight, and I said I would not fight at this weight anymore. I needed a break to get my health back to normal because my body was weak, I was anemic."

"After that, they invited me to fight again, but this time at my weight and for the belt, but with 10 weeks’ notice.Knowing that I was recovering, like I said, I told them I can fight anyone in March, but I need to take care of my body, and no mention of the fact that I’m dealing with severe depression and can’t have another brutal weight cut like before. This decision is more important than the belt or the division, I’m thinking about my health."

"I thank my fans. We did it! I’ll soon be fighting in my division, where I’m the world champion. You and God are loyal. I’ll be ready to fight in March."

Last edited 12/6/16 1:07PM server time by five-alive

Post #5   12/6/16 1:07:13PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:4,828-2,761
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Cyborg will be fighting at 145 pounds in the UFC, and I think she will be very dominant.

Post #6   12/6/16 1:21:15PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

Here, I'll help you out.

"In my last weight cut I almost died. I was in the bathtub cutting weight, and I thought, ‘I will die in this bathtub.’ It was the worst weight cut in my life. My nutritionist George Lockhart, who, by the way, is a UFC employee, didn’t do an effective job with this birth control pill he indicated saying that would help me. But thank God, in a war, I made weight, cutting 24 pounds in a week. My body was retaining a lot of water. The last time I spoke with George Lockhart was in the locker room before my fight. He disappeared after the fight. I’m not working with him anymore."

"For the first time I didn’t warm up in the locker room like I do for every fight because I was too weak. I was just praying for God and went for the fight, and, once again, God gave me the victory. After all this, I went back to my hometown on Sunday and I felt sick on Sunday. My mother gave me tea and I fell asleep. The next day, like I always do after my fights, I did blood tests to see if everything was okay after a terrible weight cut. And for the first time, the nurses couldn’t take my blood, it was so thick it wouldn’t come out, so we couldn’t do tests. I was in treatment for 10 days with Dr. Ulisseia. I was in observation because I was feeling sick all the time."

"You can see that I give no interviews after the fight. I told UFC Brazil PR Lilian (Caparroz) that I wanted to cancel all my interviews and couldn’t travel. After all that, at home, I decided I would not fight at this weight anymore, that I would only fight at my division. And only with 12 weeks’ notice. For my last fight, they told me eight weeks before."

"I got a call from the UFC offering me another catchweight fight, and I said I would not fight at this weight anymore. I needed a break to get my health back to normal because my body was weak, I was anemic."

"After that, they invited me to fight again, but this time at my weight and for the belt, but with 10 weeks’ notice.Knowing that I was recovering, like I said, I told them I can fight anyone in March, but I need to take care of my body, and no mention of the fact that I’m dealing with severe depression and can’t have another brutal weight cut like before. This decision is more important than the belt or the division, I’m thinking about my health."

"I thank my fans. We did it! I’ll soon be fighting in my division, where I’m the world champion. You and God are loyal. I’ll be ready to fight in March."

Im not arguing that she doesn't have health issues, but the health issues are a result of the repeated, dramatic weight cuts. Perhaps if she had been cutting to 145 instead of 140 this whole time, the health issues wouldn't have happened. But cutting 19 pounds in a week instead of 24 still seems very harsh on the body of somebody who has apparently been experiencing serious ramifications from weight cutting.

Ultimately, if she can make 145 pounds, more power to her. She's clearly the best fighter in that weight range. Really, the argument I was trying to make is that I do not believe she can make 145 much more safely than 140, and that she probably needs a weight class of 150 or 155. Even if she says she can make 145, she's a fighter who believes in herself, and athletes regularly think they can do more than they can, especially with things like injuries and weight cuts (just look at alves trying to make a crazy cut to 155). My corresponding argument was that it seems psychotic in hindsight that people wanted 135ers to fight someone who clearly fits better about 15-20 pounds above that limit.

Post #7   12/6/16 3:24:15PM   

Five-Alive

Hiatus

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
Gotcha

Post #8   12/6/16 3:42:38PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 43-10

sparky Avatar

Career:4,434-2,445
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

Here, I'll help you out.

Im not arguing that she doesn't have health issues, but the health issues are a result of the repeated, dramatic weight cuts. Perhaps if she had been cutting to 145 instead of 140 this whole time, the health issues wouldn't have happened. But cutting 19 pounds in a week instead of 24 still seems very harsh on the body of somebody who has apparently been experiencing serious ramifications from weight cutting.

Ultimately, if she can make 145 pounds, more power to her. She's clearly the best fighter in that weight range. Really, the argument I was trying to make is that I do not believe she can make 145 much more safely than 140, and that she probably needs a weight class of 150 or 155. Even if she says she can make 145, she's a fighter who believes in herself, and athletes regularly think they can do more than they can, especially with things like injuries and weight cuts (just look at alves trying to make a crazy cut to 155). My corresponding argument was that it seems psychotic in hindsight that people wanted 135ers to fight someone who clearly fits better about 15-20 pounds above that limit.

I would just like to add the drugs she was pumping in her body a little while back isnt helping matters either

Post #9   12/6/16 3:54:11PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,344-2,815
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I am all for not supporting steroid users in MMA Competition so long as you're consistent. I forgive the first time once the punishment is recovered from. 145 is where she'll be, fight will likely be at FW for the UFC Title in March. What I am wondering is why twitter hasn't blow up with people angling for it?! An easier weight cut, a title fight...shiiit son! Holm, Cat,even Tate (if she wanted to revoke her retirement) could all easily land that fight over de Randermie...if you beat Cyborg?! Forget about it!!

Post #10   12/6/16 9:25:27PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,671-1,071
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I am all for not supporting steroid users in MMA Competition so long as you're consistent. I forgive the first time once the punishment is recovered from. 145 is where she'll be, fight will likely be at FW for the UFC Title in March. What I am wondering is why twitter hasn't blow up with people angling for it?! An easier weight cut, a title fight...shiiit son! Holm, Cat,even Tate (if she wanted to revoke her retirement) could all easily land that fight over de Randermie...if you beat Cyborg?! Forget about it!!

You're a far more forgiving person than me jae, as I think first time steroid use should be a permanent ban for anyone in combat sports. Why is anyone forgiving about this issue? This isn't tennis or baseball where the cheaters just win, these cheaters in MMA are seriously injuring other competitors. Saying you can forgive anyone for doing this is nearly the same as saying you could forgive them for bringing brass knuckles or a razor in to the cage, hell it's worse in some ways.

I really don't care what people want to put in their bodies. If Russia wants to make a "juicers only" league, I'll gladly watch it. But anyone who's knowingly, or even presumably unknowingly, taken and failed a test for steroids needs to be permanently banned from the sport. If you're not 100% certain about something, don't put it in your body, and no one who's ever failed a screening for steroids can actually say they were 100% certain.

Last edited 12/12/16 4:29PM server time by jbmoviefan

Post #11   12/12/16 4:26:35PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:1,671-1,071
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
lol, forgot to respond about the actual issue, Cyborg is a whiny baby no matter what. Even without the roids I'd still have no love for her. If you turn yourself in to a freak, then you should only expect to fight in freakshows. She's damned lucky enough fans want to rubber neck at her circus performances that the UFC offered to make her a division, and as stated earlier, if it takes you 12 weeks to recover and make weight again, that isn't your weight class.

Post #12   12/12/16 4:40:42PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,526-901
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Posted by jae_1833

You're a far more forgiving person than me jae, as I think first time steroid use should be a permanent ban for anyone in combat sports. Why is anyone forgiving about this issue? This isn't tennis or baseball where the cheaters just win, these cheaters in MMA are seriously injuring other competitors. Saying you can forgive anyone for doing this is nearly the same as saying you could forgive them for bringing brass knuckles or a razor in to the cage, hell it's worse in some ways.

I really don't care what people want to put in their bodies. If Russia wants to make a "juicers only" league, I'll gladly watch it. But anyone who's knowingly, or even presumably unknowingly, taken and failed a test for steroids needs to be permanently banned from the sport. If you're not 100% certain about something, don't put it in your body, and no one who's ever failed a screening for steroids can actually say they were 100% certain.

Lesnar vs Hunt the perfect example. That shit has been swept under the rug and it's just so fucken wrong

Post #13   12/12/16 4:44:54PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,526-901
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by jay98107

This^ all I got from that interview was a bunch of complaining. 12 weeks is a bit much when the average fight camp is 6. I get there is a little more to it then that though

Post #14   12/12/16 4:48:15PM