Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White says Ronda Rousey still the biggest star in UFC history

Print  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,167-1,312
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's been almost a year since Ronda Rousey last stepped foot in the Octagon. but despite that absence, UFC President Dana White is still singing her praises.

Recently, while doing promotion for the UFC's upcoming debut at Madison Square Garden in November, White spoke to Hot 97 where he fielded questions about Ronda Rousey and whether she was the biggest star in the history of the UFC.

"By far. Not even close, by far the biggest star ever."

"Ronda Rousey is such a big star that when you go down to Brazil - I don't know if you guys have watched any of the fights we do from Brazil — they don't care who you are. They want the Brazilian to whoop your ass. When Ronda went down there, they cheered for Ronda over the Brazilian. Never seen that before in my life and will probably never see it again. That's how big Ronda Rousey is."

"The truth with Ronda is this: Ronda Rousey worked her ass off for four years. She worked hard. All the time she fought, all the PR that she did for us, and more importantly the training. The training takes a lot out of you. And after the loss she said, 'I need a break. I need time off.' And the minute anybody says that in this business...you don't do that in this sport. Your head has to be in this game 24-7 and you've got to be a killer. The minute you think you need a break, you definitely need a break."

Link

Post #1   10/3/16 3:26:21PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,798-1,802
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Eh not buying it. McGregor has broken records set by Rousey if I'm not mistaken ( could be though)

Dana has and always will be a Rousey nutthugger

Post #2   10/3/16 4:28:41PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:

Posted by george112

Eh not buying it. McGregor has broken records set by Rousey if I'm not mistaken ( could be though)

Dana has and always will be a Rousey nutthugger

i agree with you, but theres a couple of numbers i'd be curious to see on them both, mainly for specific demographics of age/sex that im sure ronda destroys him in and i'd also like to see merchandise sales numbers on them both.

Post #3   10/3/16 6:10:05PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:
Conor is by far the bigger draw as far as PPV and ticket sales, but as far a popularity is concerned Ronda is probably still the biggest star in MMA history.

I think a lot of her popularity comes from people who don't have any interest in watching her fight though. Just people who have a general knowledge of her existence yet have no clue who Conor McGregor is.

I also think that gap is closing very quickly due to her time out of the spotlight since her first loss.

I doubt she'll be in the sport much longer

Post #4   10/3/16 6:54:52PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,573-2,791
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana may be right I mean most of us hate Ronda but you can't argue her numbers. That being said she won't be pulling in the same numbers when she returns and after 205 there will be no denying that Conor is.

Post #5   10/3/16 7:17:36PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Dana may be right I mean most of us hate Ronda but you can't argue her numbers. That being said she won't be pulling in the same numbers when she returns and after 205 there will be no denying that Conor is.

After 205? What if connor gets slept? I think that dude has peaked personally or is damn near. Eventually he is going to have to fight the guys that are threats to his style.

Post #6   10/4/16 12:50:41PM