Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

An investigation of Robbie Lawler’s ‘very suspicious’ test results

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,095-4,051
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
bloody elbow

Rory MacDonald recently claimed on the MMA Hour that Robbie Lawler tested 'four times higher than the limit,' and had some ‘very suspicious’ results. I believe Rory is referring to the Nevada athletic commission tests which were performed at the WADA-accredited SMRTL lab In June 2015—prior to their UFC 189 bout—the results of which were first brought to my attention by @dimspace on twitter.

Post #1   8/30/16 3:47:06PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,095-4,051
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
The ramifications of this is huge in my opinion, if this comes out to be true what does it say about the fight itself, Robbie's character, the idea that the UFC protects its fighters, USADA as an agency, the value of the WW Title? There is a lot to discuss with this especially considering Rory's recent signing with Bellator...this is holy shit stuff for me!

Post #2   8/30/16 3:50:05PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,422-1,379
Chips:
Please not Robbie, my dad loves Robbie Lawler he would be devestated haha.

They'll just sweep this shit under the rug again, the Brock Lesnar thing is an absolute joke though... Dana does not give a shit about fighter welfare it's all money. I hope Hunt wins some kind of settlement from the UFC if he is in fact deciding to push things legally.

This peds shit is getting old real quick

Post #3   8/30/16 4:23:54PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,402-1,974
Chips:
Personally I think it's dumb when fighters who leave the ufc to sign with bellator knock the drug testing on their way out because they pretty much agreed the extra cash they mad in the deal is worth Going back to a fight league that you can pretty much juice all you want

Some of these guys need to know the cheaters will be bigger in bellator than in the ufc and if they didn't factor that in their free agency then they were remiss

Post #4   8/30/16 4:31:29PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:
Total speculation but ever notice how much Bacne Rory has most fights? Could be oily skin but....

See what I did there? I took a scrap of fact and turned it into an backhanded accusation, kind of like Rory is doing here.

From the article:

"It looks like the NAC performed a follow up test on a sample collected on June 17th, during which Lawler’s luteinizing hormone levels came back at 12.9mlU/mL, which is well within the normal range. The test also looked for SERMs, AIs and GnRH abnormalities, and didn't find any."

"The truth is, none of Lawler's results should have stopped the fight from taking place. While an elevated luteinizing hormone result is odd, it’s not unheard of, and the WADA-accredited lab found no evidence of any performance enhancing drugs in Lawler’s system in any of the tests. The pre-fight hematological test results meanwhile were slightly high, but the results do not appear indicative of blood doping or PED use, and his fight night results were all completely normal."

I hate headlines like this one, the only person investigating is a reporter. People will just read that headline and assume Robbie is under investigation by USADA. He had one odd result from an admittedly unreliable urine test and passed the rest. This just stinks like sour grapes to me.

Last edited 8/30/16 5:58PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: punctuation

Post #5   8/30/16 4:54:30PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,957-1,723
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Total speculation but ever notice how much Bacne Rory has most fights? Could be oily skin but....

See what I did there? I took a scrap of fact and turned it into an backhanded accusation, kind of like Rory is doing here.

From the article:

I think this is right on the money. The headlilne should read "Rory MacDonald Makes Baseless Accusation Against Lawler's Test Results".

Post #6   8/31/16 9:55:24AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,895-2,296
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by machodog76

From the article:

I think this is right on the money. The headlilne should read "Rory MacDonald Makes Baseless Accusation Against Lawler's Test Results".

Welp, Robbie's luteinizing hormone levels were over 60 when he was first tested. Which is over 3x normal levels. So it's not exactly a baseless accusation.

Post #7   8/31/16 10:55:50AM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,673-2,244
Chips:
Dimspace is a Sherdogger. He runs a biking forum, and was credited with helping get Lance Armstrong busted. Now the MMA media is writing articles based on his research, pretty crazy.

I'll just copy and paste what he said about it, since I don't know very much about the testing, or how to explain these findings.

"HIs t/e ratio is very high, but most notable is the LH (Lutinizing Hormone) level... anything over 20 IU/L is now considered positive by WADA. Hes blown that limit by a mile.

Procedure for LU isnt straightforward. But basically if initial LH reading is high then its considered a presumptive adverse analytical finding
They are meant to then test for various androgens. If they are present then it becomes a positive test, if not it is marked as suspicious and they are meant to do followup tests using same lab, equipement etc. ."

Blood values... anything over 1.5% reticulite percentage is considered indicative of doping. Basically high retics (immature blood cells) means the body is producing RBC's, either because theres been a serious loss of blood - due to either injury, or a withdrawal of blood - or because of EPO use stimulating body to produce more red blood cells

Closer to fight night, urine LH and test levels starting to drop to normal

Blood values still way off though, retics still showing sign of enhancement

By fight night.....

Urine looking much more normal

And blood, notably reticulites, totally normal...

Full pdf (including the doping control documents so you can see his name) here in my onedrive https://1drv.ms/b/s!As95TumrBILKsVugma_E30uRyjIJ

Post #8   8/31/16 12:04:07PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,673-2,244
Chips:
UFC announced the program on June 3, 2015, and the UFC Anti-Doping Program went into effect July 1, 2015.

The suspicious test from Robbie was taken in June 2015.

So, Robbie is fine nothings going to happen to him, but he was doping before USADA came along... which is kind of BS to point out, because most fighters were, and I think almost all of them still are, they're just being more careful about it.

When the MLB scandal broke, they found that players were taking steroids and passing tests the same day as they took the steroids, they just get more creative with how they do it.

It is what it is, and most people who look for signs of steroid use in fighters think Rory was roiding too, so...

Bellator fighters do get tested btw, just not as much as UFC fighters... They brought the Mohegan Sun Commission to London to test their fighters. Mohegan's commission director is Mike Mazzulli, the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) president.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/13/12176588/mohegan-sun-commission-to-drug-test-bellator-158-fighters

Post #9   8/31/16 12:28:12PM