Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

True or False, If Hendo beats Bisping then retires, is he the GOAT?

Print  
If Hendo beats Bisping, is he the GOAT?(READ BEFORE VOTING)
True 11 28%
False 28 72%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:351-232
Chips:
True or False, If Hendo beats Bisping then retires, is he the GOAT?

IMO he was be P4P the greatest fighter in MMA history.

I mean just look at his resume. I base it on accomplishments, competition beaten, and longevity. I challenge you to find a fighter with a better resume. Fedor, Anderson, GSP dont have the amount of quality wins or multiple titles in different weight classes like Hendo.

Shogun(2x)
Big Nog(heavyweight)
Vitor Belfort
Fedor(heavyweight)
Michael Bisping(2x if he wins)
Rich Franklin
Babalu(2x)
Wanderlei Silva
Gilbert Yvel(heavyweight)
Murillo Bustamante(2x)
Ninja
Misaki
Ryo Chonann
Hector Lombard
Tim Botesh
Palhares
Renzo Gracie
Carlos Newton
Gono
Calvacante
Nakamura

I mean Fedor & Big Nog are THE 2 greatest heavyweights of all time, BEAT EM!

-Won the PRIDE Welterweight & Middleweight title
-Strikeforce Light Heavyweight champ
-2005 PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix champ
-UFC 17 Tournament Winner
-1999 RINGS King of Kings tournament winner
-1997 Brazil Open winner

If he beats Bisping for the title and retires UFC champ it will seal the deal IMO.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   7/2/16 3:08:27PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,226-2,363
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's hard to consider a fighter with 14 losses the GOAT, despite his stellar resume.

If it weren't for the fact that Bisping upset Rockhold he wouldn't even be considered for another title shot.

He's only 3-6 in his last 9 fights.

Post #2   7/2/16 3:36:19PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,604-1,031
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Even as an old fart hes got enough stank to ko a ton of active fighters.

I agree i think he is a legend and a guy who retires as a champ at his age woukd be crazy.

Hendo is imo p4p the Goat straight up...

P4p meaning willing and able to take on and defeat any challenger at any weight class,and against top competition.

Hw,lhw,mw hes done it all and took out top names.

Hes not jon jones talking about fights at hw then backtrack later,hes not fedor unwilling to cut weight to fight at possibly his optimum weight he dropped to mw and did well,hes not gsp scared to go up weight for a superfight fans want he went up to hw to fight fedor.

Dan is the absolute definition of a fighter and even at his near grandfather age he is maybe gonna get that ufc strap lol....GODSPEED HENDO!!!

Post #3   7/2/16 4:58:28PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,562-2,972
Chips:
I said true despite his recent record...P4P GOAT takes and is a lifetime achievement award for me. He has all the accolades except a UFC Title, which for me is mandatory but for him is the cherry on the top. He came to the UFC with 2 Pride titles, which is huge. He has defeated the biggest names in the sport and done it in devastating fashion. MMA careers come with losses, and that is understandable...it's not like he has lost to cans either. I'd also like to caveat on the forum starter by saying in this argument (if he wins) who would he have as competition? Andy, Wandy, GSP, Fedor, have the legacy to be considered but not in multiple weight classes or across the number of organizations he has. Is he currently the P4P best, no...that goes to Mighty Mouse for me. As a lifetime achievement though, I'd like to see the stats on his competitors for this consideration.

Post #4   7/2/16 5:43:04PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,983-1,357
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I voted no for a multitude of reasons. But I would like to get in on the record I think the accomplishments Dan has achieved in his career no doubt make him one of the best GOATs of all time top 5 for sure, arguably top 3. But herein lies the problem with the GOAT argument nowadays. The things Hendo/Fedor did fighting overseas, in a roided up environment and multiple weight classes and multiple times in a night; well that frankly just doesn't happen anymore. The following reasons are why I believe it's an asinine argument for the P4P GOAT in today's current MMA landscape.

1. The diversity of fighters coming in currently far surpass the talent that we saw during the PRIDE era. The days on dimensional fighters are slowly becoming a thing of the past if you wish to succeed on the highest level.
2. Jumping weight classes is almost nonexistent aside from a few select individuals
3. No more cross promotion with the top level promotions. UFC fighters are stuck there and vice versa, you're not a UFC fighter? Welp. Fuck you. You cannot ever carry titles in multiple weight classes and multiple orgs.
4. Fighting multiple times in one night. Gone. Commissions rarely sanction this kind of thing. And with the UFC trying to look 'legitimate' to the mass public, they won't risk putting someone in the ring more than one time in a night.
5. Promotions want $$$ over real talent arising. You see this in unmarketable individuals who are on the cusp of a title shot but get passed over because they aren't flashy enough. Demain Maia being one. You see in Bellator the advertising of Kimbo/DaDa over their title fight. You see this in bring in Nick Diaz to fight GSP when there are others more deserving in line.
6. How do we compare new age P4P GOATs to those of past? Do we show more respect and garner more interest in those who fought lesser skilled guys and traveled the world one punch at a time or does our waning interest in the past provide a platform for the new guys to arise like Mighty Mouse, Dom Cruz & Jon Jones. Diverse, high fight IQ but because they fight less does that mean they're not as good or even comparable to those fighting before the UFC is what it is today?

I also feel that the Grand Prix's did really divide the best fighters from the others and at the exact same time did the complete opposite. Meaning what exactly? Let's take the most recent Eddie Bravo Invitational as an example. The finals came down to a young kid and much more experienced and higher ranking grappler (if my memory serves correct). The young kid was tapping guys earlier and quickly in his matches to get to the finals whereas the older and more experienced guy spent a lot more time in his matches to reach the finals. Had these two been fresh the younger kid would likely be the one on the losing side but instead it was visible beyond belief that the because the younger kid was fresher he was able to tap the older and more experienced gentleman. So does that make his the best? Yes and no. Grand Prix's have had winners who cannot proceed safely in the tournament. Take Royce Gracie for example in UFC 3. He bowed out due to fatigue. Does that mean he's not the best?

So if a guy of Fedor's talent from PRIDE era was thrown into the HW division of the UFC today, do you think he beats Cain, Stipe, or Lesnar? Or for that fact does even fight in the UFC at all? Do you think if Fedor was born ten years later and got his first fight in the UFC recently, would Dana look at him and think he's marketable? A quiet, humble, god fearing individual? Yes, look at GSP. No, because look at Mighty Mouse. Would Dana even want him? As nowadays they're drafting the CM Punk's, Brock Lesnar's, and Sage Northcutt's of the world. Would he even be given a shot? They're plenty of talented HW's out there but aren't getting picked up for unknown reasons. Would he even sign because of the Reebok deal?

Listen, I understand this is an arbitrary argument to some because he DID fight during that time and everything he did is fact and MMA history. But, just the thought of the 'what if's' of today's MMA world.

So I ask, can we just end the P4P GOAT argument once and for all? Or do we need to make a diving line between so called 'era's' or just debate over P4P GOAT's inside weight classes?

Last edited 7/2/16 7:26PM server time by tildengolfer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/2/16 7:18:12PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,614-2,510
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
No but will have the trifecta effect of

Pride
Strikeforce
And ufc gold.

Definitely first year hall of famer

Post #6   7/2/16 7:35:45PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,759-1,605
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
All Time P4Per & HOFer.

I won't go as far as saying he is the greatest, but he was, is and always will be one of a kind.

Post #7   7/2/16 9:19:55PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,604-1,031
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Tilden your argument is crazy for a multitude of reasons....

Cross promotion is happening more and more regularly aside from ufc so your Only slightly wrong here.....if ali act gets passed this will be happening wether ufc likes it or not

There has been multiple tournaments in various promotions accross the world including america and possibly the most one nighters we've seen since the beginning of this sport.....to say it doesn't happen is far from accurate as they seem to be growing in popularity.

If fedor was born ten years later and fought like he did in his prime on his undefeated streak......bet your ass hed be in the ufc contending for a title his skills are timeless he was one of the first guys dangerous in every fucking position are you kidding me bro?

Was big nog not interim ufc hw champ all injury plagued after fedor broke him off....ok not gonna get too far off.......just man your just wrong here lol.

Pride not only showcased the best talent on the planet but did so by building its own stars as well as use vets.

Did they have the zuluzhinos lol yes but the rop ten in each division remained names and highly ranked guys fir years after pride died including right now in the hw division,....lhw division lol hell anderson silva dominated in ufc fir years and hendo himself still is a ranked guy at 45 lol.

Everyone from pride was not one dimensional and i think ufc brings in some great killers but they aren't on some other level......they just carried the torch.

War Hendo!!!

Last edited 7/2/16 10:32PM server time by fka
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #8   7/2/16 10:19:16PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,453-1,832
Chips:
No.

Like mentioned he's a one of a kind and a Legend and a HOFer but he's also 3-6 in his last 9. He got finished 4 of 6 and 3 of 4 were in the 1st. But I don't want to hate on him because he does have some amazing accomplishments.

Post #9   7/2/16 10:44:44PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 43-10

sparky Avatar

Career:4,659-2,544
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Post #10   7/2/16 11:52:55PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,116-1,275
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
No...but the gamest fighter to ever step into an mma ring or cage.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   7/3/16 3:33:53AM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:351-232
Chips:
Look at Sugar Ray Robinson. Widley regarded by historians as the greatest boxer of all time. 19 losses. Losses dont mean shit if your quality of competition is amazing.

Look at all the undefeated boxers who retired undefeated: Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe and Rocky Marciano. They have good wins but there quality of opposition is nowhere near as good as Robinson, Greb, Leonard, or Ali.

And i know MMA is still young and eventually he'll probablu get passed but as of right now, NOBODY has a better resume then Hendo.

Post #12   7/3/16 11:57:12AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,453-1,832
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Look at Sugar Ray Robinson. Widley regarded by historians as the greatest boxer of all time. 19 losses. Losses dont mean shit if your quality of competition is amazing.

Look at all the undefeated boxers who retired undefeated: Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe and Rocky Marciano. They have good wins but there quality of opposition is nowhere near as good as Robinson, Greb, Leonard, or Ali.

And i know MMA is still young and eventually he'll probablu get passed but as of right now, NOBODY has a better resume then Hendo.

P4P and All-Time greats list are opinionated and subjective.

Post #13   7/3/16 1:06:45PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 69-83

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:3,334-2,190
Chips:
Similar to myself.. I'm not the AV bet GOAT but I will be remembered for centuries

Post #14   7/3/16 3:50:42PM   

SpiderSilva

SUPER BOWL 50 CHAMPIONS

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
Anderson Silva mopped the floor with him. He's the GOAT

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #15   7/3/16 11:04:55PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3