Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michael Chiesa out at UFC Fight Night 91, UFC seeks new opponent for Tony Ferguson

Print  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:
A high-profile lightweight contest between two top contenders has been scrapped, as Michael Chiesa (14-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from UFC Fight Night 91.

MMAjunkie today confirmed with UFC officials that the promotion is now seeking a replacement opponent for Tony Ferguson (20-3 MMA, 10-1 UFC) willing to step in on a little more than two weeks’ notice.

MMAJunkie

Post #1   6/27/16 8:42:17PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:
Okamoto said that unless something drastic changes, Cerrone will not be filling in.

I believe I remember Poirier saying he doesnt want to fight until the Fall after his wife had a baby.

Ramadan ends July 5th so Khabib will not be able to fight that soon.

I'm hoping they take Will Brooks off of the Pearson fight. Great matchup and he's a legit contender.

Last edited 6/27/16 8:45PM server time by Poor_Franklin
Edit note/reason: cant spell for shit

Post #2   6/27/16 8:45:01PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,055-1,247
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
^^^^HEY, I'm attending TUF 23 Finale and I don't want Will Brooks taken off that card, he's one of the fighters I want to most see that week. Don't go putting ideas in their head Poor_Franklin!

Post #3   6/27/16 9:34:27PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,149-3,384
Chips:
Have no clue who fills in.

Maybe al ianquinta.

Post #4   6/27/16 9:59:25PM   

TerrorofsesameST

Standup Guy

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:2,235-1,464
Chips:
Dariush? Johnson? Poirier?

Last edited 6/27/16 10:15PM server time by terrorofsesamest
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/27/16 10:12:54PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,508-1,433
Chips:
What is kabib up to ? Still wanna see Ferguson go up against him about as high level as it gets without it being for a title

Post #6   6/27/16 11:01:32PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Khabib's injury bug is so contagious, it jumped from him to Ferguson to Chiesa. Zika virus got nothin on this.

Post #7   6/28/16 12:42:49AM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:6,240-3,499
Chips:

Posted by TerrorofsesameST

Dariush? Johnson? Poirier?

All good suggestions especially Dariush who looked absolutely dominant in his most recent win over James Vick. I think a guy like MJ is gonna want a full camp to fight Ferguson again, that would be a rematch and like someone mentioned Poirier was supposed to take some time off so I'm not sure what kind of shape he's in. I know Eric Koch is no where near these guys ranking wise, but I can tell you he is definitely in shape, maybe not 5 round shape, but enough to go 3 definitely.

Brooks is also a good one, but it seems like they want to bring him a long slowly and build up his record before putting him in main events.

Post #8   6/28/16 2:57:18AM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
I hate the idea of pulling another fighter off a card to fill in the spot for an injured fighter on a different card. It affects the people who are attending the other card. Some people travel to an event solely to see one specific fighter, (I've done it multiple times), so to take that guy and move him to another card is unfair to those fans and all the others attending, which is why I don't think they should take Will Brooks out of his fight against Ross Pearson. Me personally, I'd be pissed if they did that, I paid money to see that fight and to have it removed to fill the void off South Dakota's card is terrible, then who's going to fill the void of our card?? Probably no one, at least not anyone the level of Ill Will. They need to find a replacement of someone who isn't on a scheduled card, so I like the sounds of Dariush and Poirier. They're top guys who will put on an entertaining fight with Tony.

Post #9   6/28/16 5:08:08AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,306-2,852
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Poirier and Brooks are the 2 best options. Poirier is 7-1 in his last 8 and 4-0 at lightweight. Brooks is regarded as the best Lightweight that was not in the UFC and now he's there and he left Bellator as the Champion. He's also ranked higher than the other options. So giving a Top LW a Title eliminator instead of a Top 20-25 guy makes more sense...in less of course you paid money to attend this Tuf Finale which already has a highly anticipated Title fight. Never mind the fighters involved or the folks at home that pay their cable bills.

They could easily pull Brooks from the Finale and have Duffy vs Pearson fight. Which makes more sense really than having Pearson fight a Top Lightweight. Then find a replacement for Mitch Clarke.

Anyways enough with my hypothetical theories that would disappoint the ones attending and let's hope they put Poirier in there.

I've heard it all, I've even heard I hope RDA/Alvarez gets cancelled because a regular event attendee isn't attending that one.

Post #10   6/28/16 8:37:43AM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Poirier and Brooks are the 2 best options. Poirier is 7-1 in his last 8 and 4-0 at lightweight. Brooks is regarded as the best Lightweight that was not in the UFC and now he's there and he left Bellator as the Champion. He's also ranked higher than the other options. So giving a Top LW a Title eliminator instead of a Top 20-25 guy makes more sense...in less of course you paid money to attend this Tuf Finale which already has a highly anticipated Title fight. Never mind the fighters involved or the folks at home that pay their cable bills.

They could easily pull Brooks from the Finale and have Duffy vs Pearson fight. Which makes more sense really than having Pearson fight a Top Lightweight. Then find a replacement for Mitch Clarke.

Anyways enough with my hypothetical theories that would disappoint the ones attending and let's hope they put Poirier in there.

I've heard it all, I've even heard I hope RDA/Alvarez gets cancelled because a regular event attendee isn't attending that one.

I don't like any cards losing fights and even more so I don't like other cards being affected because of it, whether I'm attending or not. When you're paying hundreds or thousands of dollars you don't want to see the event you're going to see be negatively affected at all and for others who don't understand that concept and want other cards to be affected due to one losing a fight speaks their ignorance. Leave Brooks alone as well as other scheduled lightweights on other cards and find Tony a lightweight not scheduled. Plus, you take off Brooks and replace him with Duffy then you only have 1 week to find a replacement for Mitch, even shorter notice then trying to find a replacement for Tony.

Last edited 6/28/16 12:28PM server time by five-alive
Edit note/reason: editing cuz it looks cool, just ask gdp
2 total post edits

Post #11   6/28/16 12:25:10PM