Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michael Bisping becomes Britain's first UFC champion

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

dbflex

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Michael Bisping dethroned Luke Rockhold, despite only 17 days' notice, to become Britain's first UFC champion at UFC 199.

The middleweight was elated at a revenge KO win after Rockhold had submitted him less than two years ago.

Full article here

Post #1   6/5/16 3:25:04AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:2,472-1,711
Chips:
Incredible.

I've followed Mike's career since the beginning, yet I never thought he'd achieve this goal, particularly against Rockhold.

Good ole 'pillow fists' KOs of one of the toughest middleweights around in the first round after hardly any training camp.

Post #2   6/5/16 7:21:26AM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Amazing. I expected Rockhold by murder, but we get the opposite.

For anyone looking to discredit Bisping's win, bear in mind it was a confluence of factors.

* Rockhold underestimated Bisping
* Bisping came in motivated, confident, and healthy
* Rockhold made a technical error (he admitted this)
* Bisping capitalized and followed up

It wasn't all him. Obviously. Two people were involved, but he got it done. Not a lot of middleweights are able to land that perfect counter and put in the coffin nails after.

If Rockhold had been smart, he would've stayed at kickboxing range, allowing him to land his kicks while forcing Bisping to rush in and be vulnerable. Would that have guaranteed a win? No, but he'd be in the best potential place. Instead, he spent way too much time in boxing range, and it cost him.

Given that he knew the error, I'm reasonably optimistic about Rockhold reclaiming the belt, no matter who he fights. My main question is whether or not he cares to. He could still lose even if he does his best, but barring a decline in health or the mental game he can be a bad matchup for anyone.

As for Bisping, if this doesn't get him into the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure what else would. Kind of a Rocky story, really.

Post #3   6/5/16 10:20:07AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:6,087-3,794
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by isk

Amazing. I expected Rockhold by murder, but we get the opposite.

For anyone looking to discredit Bisping's win, bear in mind it was a confluence of factors.

* Rockhold underestimated Bisping
* Bisping came in motivated, confident, and healthy
* Rockhold made a technical error (he admitted this)
* Bisping capitalized and followed up

It wasn't all him. Obviously. Two people were involved, but he got it done. Not a lot of middleweights are able to land that perfect counter and put in the coffin nails after.

If Rockhold had been smart, he would've stayed at kickboxing range, allowing him to land his kicks while forcing Bisping to rush in and be vulnerable. Would that have guaranteed a win? No, but he'd be in the best potential place. Instead, he spent way too much time in boxing range, and it cost him.

Given that he knew the error, I'm reasonably optimistic about Rockhold reclaiming the belt, no matter who he fights. My main question is whether or not he cares to. He could still lose even if he does his best, but barring a decline in health or the mental game he can be a bad matchup for anyone.

As for Bisping, if this doesn't get him into the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure what else would. Kind of a Rocky story, really.

I don't really think winning 1 belt with 0 defenses should be HOF worthy. Other than a close decision over Anderson, what's his next biggest win? Alan Belcher?

Last edited 6/5/16 10:57AM server time by jay98107
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/5/16 10:56:42AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 43-10

sparky Avatar

Career:5,628-3,186
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Choke on that all you Bisping haters

WOOOOOOOOOO

And the new middle weight champion of the world........

Post #5   6/5/16 10:57:33AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Props to bisping, he did it. Very significant night overall in mma. Ufc has been hitting big on a lot of big ppvs lately.

Post #6   6/5/16 2:21:17PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,584-1,651
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Still a bisping hater but I can't take anything away from him. Dropped Silva twice and koed rockhold...that's serious pwnage.

Is there a chance I could get hendo vs spitz 2? That would make my ufc year.

Post #7   6/5/16 3:02:06PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,756-1,963
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Props to Bisping for winning. I smiled a bit when he won because he has put in his dues..for a long time!

With that being said...I will still be a Bisping hater. He just rubs me the wrong way. His constant show of disrespect after the fight is done is pathetic, juvenile & as low class as you can get without pulling a Paul Daley or Paul Harris. His 'trash talk' hyping up a fight gets far too personal. For someone who flipped his shit for Rivera making videos mocking the UK, I fight it extremely hypocritical to go after someone for use of ED medication and make false claims about PED use even after you beat someone. Come on man, that's fucking low class, even for you, grow the fuck up. From spitting on Rivera's cornermen to screaming 'fuck you' with a finger point to a KO'd Rockhold to running your mouth to other fellow fighters/announcers while sitting next to them in a booth. The guy is about as classless as one can get. I for one can't wait for someone to KO him just like Hendo did.

*EDIT: I for life of me cannot how to figure out how to embed a twatter video so...*

UFC 199 Video: Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold get heated after press conference

Just proving my point.

Last edited 6/5/16 4:15PM server time by tildengolfer
Edit note/reason: fucking twitter
2 total post edits

Post #8   6/5/16 3:07:47PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,590-3,798
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I'm not a Bisping fan but I'm not a Bisping hater anymore. Gave that up around the same time he started working behind the desk. I do find it funny though that the story coming out of the press conference was how disrespectful Luke was being. Bisping came in and took a shit on the guy from the first 5 seconds he was in the room until the very end and then he goes to shake Luke's hand like the last 30 minutes didn't happen. Both guys seem like genuinely annoying and arrogant people. Honestly, it would have been nice to see them both lose last night and have Jacare pull a money in the bank and steal the title

Post #9   6/5/16 4:55:52PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

I don't really think winning 1 belt with 0 defenses should be HOF worthy. Other than a close decision over Anderson, what's his next biggest win? Alan Belcher?

Yeah, fair - for me it's longevity and consistency. Tying with GSP for most wins in UFC history counts for a lot.

Post #10   6/5/16 4:58:47PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,889-1,664
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC Posters - 2

Rockhold/McGregor - 0

Post #11   6/5/16 5:51:43PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:6,087-3,794
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by isk

Posted by jay98107

Yeah, fair - for me it's longevity and consistency. Tying with GSP for most wins in UFC history counts for a lot.

It counts, his winning TUF and his general fame will help. He has 3 times as many losses though and his strength of competition was substantially lower.

Post #12   6/5/16 6:04:29PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Chips:
Yep. That's the Rocky part - per aspera ad astra.

Post #13   6/5/16 6:12:55PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,602-1,511
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Congrats to Bisping.. But man was he a douche at the post fight presser so was Rockhold but it's hard not to bite when Bisping is baiting you. Rockhold must be so pissed that he lost to Bisping I imagine it would be hard to get over for him

Post #14   6/5/16 10:15:59PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
I thought lee Murray went up in weight on short notice and knocked the LHW champ out.

Post #15   6/5/16 11:31:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2