Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite stunning upset, Bellator's Alexis Dufresne says Marloes Coenen deserves next title shot

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,328-2,857
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Alexis Dufresne is surprisingly realistic about her position in Bellator’s women’s featherweight division after pulling off the biggest victory of her career with an upset of Marloes Coenen at Bellator 155 earlier this month.

Dufresne (6-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) stepped in as an injury replacement for Julia Budd (8-2 MMA, 2-0 BMMA) in a fight meant to decide Bellator’s inaugural women’s 145-pound champion. Once Budd pulled out, however, the promotion changed the fight with Coenen (23-7 MMA, 2-1 BMMA) to a non-title affair.
Marloes Coenen and Alexis Dufresne

The call to fight Coenen came with just two weeks to prepare after Dufresne had taken a 16-month layoff from the sport to give birth. Dufresne was five pounds overweight for the fight, which ruffled the feathers of her opponent. But she secured the triangle-armbar victory to join Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino and Miesha Tate as one of the few fighters to beat Coenen, a former Strikeforce champion, since 2009.

Link

Post #1   5/29/16 3:54:46PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,700-1,913
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Pretty humble of Alexis to say:
“I hadn’t fought in over a year. I just had a baby. I got handed probably one of the toughest opponents I could have been handed. (She) was pretty disrespectful at the weigh-ins. I’m not a big fan of people who disrespect others like that. The entire time I maintained my cool. Even after the fight I tried to shake hands and help her up, but she was disrespectful, so there’s not much you can say about somebody like that. There’s no reason for her to act the way she did, disrespect me the way she did. Call me a stepping stone. She talked like I was just going to be a joke that she was going to walk right through. But one of my favorite things to do is prove people wrong.”

And then say that the title fight between Budd & Coenen should happen and that she will most likely await the winner if this fight does materialize. Obviously she holds no ill will towards her opponent. Frankly; Marloes should have been thankful that she got to fight and collect a paycheck. Now we can argue semantics about wether she should have taken the fight as hindsight is 20/20.

I missed the fight, but think it's pretty crazy to think Marloes acting the way she did according to Dufresne.

Post #2   5/29/16 4:32:54PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:
getting real tired of hearing Dufresne talk about disrespect when she's the one that showed up 5 lbs over at the weigh ins

Post #3   5/30/16 2:45:48AM   

PitFighter28

MMA Regular

PitFighter28 Avatar

Career:2,238-1,472
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Pretty humble of Alexis to say:
“I hadn’t fought in over a year. I just had a baby. I got handed probably one of the toughest opponents I could have been handed. (She) was pretty disrespectful at the weigh-ins. I’m not a big fan of people who disrespect others like that. The entire time I maintained my cool. Even after the fight I tried to shake hands and help her up, but she was disrespectful, so there’s not much you can say about somebody like that. There’s no reason for her to act the way she did, disrespect me the way she did. Call me a stepping stone. She talked like I was just going to be a joke that she was going to walk right through. But one of my favorite things to do is prove people wrong.”

And then say that the title fight between Budd & Coenen should happen and that she will most likely await the winner if this fight does materialize. Obviously she holds no ill will towards her opponent. Frankly; Marloes should have been thankful that she got to fight and collect a paycheck. Now we can argue semantics about wether she should have taken the fight as hindsight is 20/20.

I missed the fight, but think it's pretty crazy to think Marloes acting the way she did according to Dufresne.

She did act that way. Wouldn't shake her hand after defeat. It was a little Ronda Rousey-esque. I think Alexis would tap Budd anyway so what's it matter if she fights Coenen or not. Alexis has a win over Marlos so let her beat Budd and then they can rematch for the title.

Post #4   5/30/16 5:29:19AM   

PitFighter28

MMA Regular

PitFighter28 Avatar

Career:2,238-1,472
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

getting real tired of hearing Dufresne talk about disrespect when she's the one that showed up 5 lbs over at the weigh ins

She just had a baby and took the fight on about a weeks notice.

Post #5   5/30/16 5:30:35AM   

nirvana184

MMA Sensei

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:2,190-1,293
Chips:

Posted by PitFighter28

Posted by Poor_Franklin

To be fair, she also had weight issues while in the UFC.

Post #6   5/30/16 11:05:51PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:
Nice sentiment but Coenen didn't get beat by 5 lbs of baby fat, she got her ass kicked and she showed zero class in the loss. Plus who gives two shits about a Bellator WMMA belt? How many women do they have under contract?

Last edited 5/31/16 1:08AM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/31/16 1:07:34AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:

Posted by PitFighter28

Posted by Poor_Franklin

okay. agree to a catchweight fight then.

Post #8   6/1/16 6:06:50PM