Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New UFC signing's troubled past includes rape charge, battery and child abuse conviction

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

ZABEAST

JLS Avatar

Career:5,299-2,847
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
New Mexico-based heavyweight Cody East recently signed with the UFC after winning a Legacy FC bout in front of Dana White, but there has been plenty of controversy surrounding East's numerous violent criminal charges over the past 11 years.

The UFC recently added another heavyweight to its roster in Legacy FC's Cody East. He's reportedly scheduled to fight Walt Harris on the preliminary card of UFC 197: Cormier vs. Jones 2 on April 23rd. "The Freight Train" has been in the pros since May 2008, compiling a 12-1 record, with 11 of his victories by either knockout or submission, and his 40 second TKO of Kevin Asplund on February 5th will soon be featured on Dana White's "Lookin' For a Fight" series.

bloodyelbow

Post #1   2/26/16 8:56:25AM   

shaneTpain

GSP > everyone else

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:4,652-3,150
Chips:
I hope this dudes sketchy past doesn't effect his UFC spot. He's a monster! I remember seeing him fight 3 years ago & being crazy impressed.

Post #2   2/26/16 10:04:59AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

I hope this dudes sketchy past doesn't effect his UFC spot. He's a monster! I remember seeing him fight 3 years ago & being crazy impressed.

Judging by what I just read, I'm guessing they he never fights in the Octagon. Dude is a P.O.S. from what his record shows.

Post #3   2/26/16 1:16:25PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Posted by shaneTpain

Judging by what I just read, I'm guessing they he never fights in the Octagon. Dude is a P.O.S. from what his record shows.

He definitely sounds like a real POS, but in fairness he was acquitted of most of the charges against him and served his time for the ones he was convicted of.

I'm not sure why the article felt that his brothers legal troubles were at all relevant.

I've got no problem with him being allowed to fight, I just hope that he gets his ass kicked by whoever fights him.

Post #4   2/26/16 1:35:47PM   

JLS

ZABEAST

JLS Avatar

Career:5,299-2,847
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by machodog76

Posted by shaneTpain

He definitely sounds like a real POS, but in fairness he was acquitted of most of the charges against him and served his time for the ones he was convicted of.

I'm not sure why the article felt that his brothers legal troubles were at all relevant.

I've got no problem with him being allowed to fight, I just hope that he gets his ass kicked by whoever fights him.

Surprised to read all of this myself. It does seem like the article muddies East up more than it needed to but I'm not on East side either. I also don't think he'll fight in the UFC at UFC 197. Figure if Will Chope got the Ax then East will too.

Post #5   2/26/16 2:43:54PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:
Yeah, it's hard to judge from what little is in that article but for me the pattern seems clear; the guy is gets drunk and beats up teenage girls/anyone weaker in the room. People can change maybe he has and I agree that people should be able to make a living after they pay their dues. I don't buy the whole, "She's making the rape up to stay out of trouble with her parents." statement. Rape involves a huge element of shame for a lot of victims; it's not a go to excuse for most women/girls. The false accusations are not as common as people seem to think. It's hard tellin' not knowin' though, so it's not fair for me to judge. All and all I think the UFC would be smart to cut him and move on.

Post #6   2/26/16 6:02:39PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Short leashes for people who have demonstrated they warrant them. Giving a chance to them isn't wrong, but it can be a risk that bites people in the ass sometimes.

Post #7   2/26/16 6:42:17PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,100-3,013
Chips:
Call me crazy but after reading the article I do not believe this guy should even be on the streets or in society nevertheless inside the UFC octagon. It is obvious to me that he is a serious danger to anyone around him and the only cage he should enter is a penitentiary. Mark my words....this guy is going to snap again.

Post #8   2/27/16 2:27:00PM