Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Star Wars

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,044-3,068
Chips:
My uncle is a huge Star Wars nerd and he said it was incredible.

Post #16   12/18/15 9:21:42PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Saw it yesterday. Really good, 10000x better than I-III.

Post #17   12/19/15 1:16:44AM   

Franklinfan47

Bow Down

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:3,077-1,712
Chips:
Hate to be that guy, but disappointed.

Without spoiling anything, Ill just say I didn't buy into the villain.

Just my 2 cents.

Post #18   12/19/15 1:19:25AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:
I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!

Post #19   12/19/15 2:32:31AM   

TeamJones

MMA Regular

TeamJones Avatar

Career:2,003-1,200
Camp: Capall dorcha
Chips:
I saw the 3D version last night and wasn't disappointed at all!!! Shocking thing is that the theater was 80% full 45 minutes before start time. People in the "Great" 3D seats got there an hour before start time. I can't wait for May 26th 2017 when Star Wars VIII comes out.

Post #20   12/19/15 1:07:37PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,671-1,891
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Posted by tildengolfer

Two days ago, I watched episode IV, V, VI in a binge because I got the Star Wars itch. Then I had been against Episode I, II, III because how can they have new characters that don't appear in the originals? Cooler droids/ships/planets/characters...WTF?!?! I just watched Episode I last night for the first time and I have never gotten so angry at a film lol I am going to force myself to watch Episode II & III before seeing the new one.

I know how you feel.

I grew up in the early 80s and loved the original trilogy. Then I grew up and saw their value as films and had an appreciation for what people like Gary Kurtz and Ivan Kurchiner did and of course George Lucas, for a time.

The prequels were so weird at first. I felt so compelled to like them and be behind what was presented. I found that owning them and attempting to re-watch them proved there was no like or support to be had for what they were. They were an abomination in so many ways that it became hard to put into a collective train of thought.

Five or six years ago I found an outlet that perfectly put into context what was mine and so many other peoples problem with the prequels.

The Plinkett Review of the Star Wars Prequels.

These reviews are brilliantly done imo. Extremely well thought out and articulated regarding so much of what was wrong with these movies not just in the context of why the original series was good, but just how bad they are in the grand scheme of movie making in general.

The review is cynical and crass, abrasiveness given by the fictional character reviewer and it is perfect. Since seeing these I always recommend them to people who either like or dislike the prequels because the review has a transcendent quality that rises above those opinions, from a certain point of view.... They even provide insight about the changing direction of the original series and how in the end the final film became the precursor for establishing Star Wars as a merchandising revenue vessel before being a great story.

If you have not seen the reviews, watch them. they are funny, have a high degree of witticism, make many valid and pertinent critiques of the writing, production and players. As a form of entertainment, I find these reviews themselves to be of much more value than the prequels.

These reviews are legendary now in a cult like fashion. The reviews themselves have been reviewed and analyzed for their quality by both film and literary critics, Collegiate scholars and internet fanboys.

The Plinkett Review of the Star Wars Prequels.

If you took 9 hours to watch the prequels, you can take three hours to watch their reviews.

If you haven't seen episode II or III, you should still, just for the continuity and all. But the reviews are must see imo given that I've spent some pretty good time being a SW fanboy in my day.

On a side note, I'd recommend people read the LA times interview with Gary Kurtz. He talks about making Star Wars before it was retitled to Episode IV: A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, he also talks about why he wasn't with Return of the Jedi and where Lucas decided to take Star Wars where he didn't want to go, very interesting read and today all these years later really makes me with we got the real ending to Revenge of the Jedi instead of the revenue focused goals Lucas felt the series should shift towards. I feel the interview and the reviews both have more to do with George Lucas than anything and to me they are good pieces to check out together.

Star Wars' producer Gary Kurtz speaks out

I was born in 1988, after the originals but grew up loving them, even with parents who didn't have an appreciation for the franchise. So when I went back and tried to watch them the other day, I remember thinking..hmm...this doesn't seem right, it seems really CGI'd for lack of a better term. Then I realized upon a little search of the internet, there were threads and threads and threads on forums of scathing hate for the re-released Star Wars Blu-ray's. How they added more things like a rock in front of R2D2 and more 'animals' outside the bar in Episode IV when we get introduced to Han Solo. Visibly upset lol I went and acquired the originals, unaltered and boy...did I enjoy the fuck out watching them! Had the house to myself, surround sound hooked up and blasted all three in a row and had a blast lol

Post #21   12/19/15 5:03:05PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
just saw it today.

I'm not a huge Star Wars dork, (though i so desperatley tried to be at one point).

I saw episode one but only saw fragments of episodes 2 and 3. I really despised those movies.
But the originals I really enjoy.

I really liked episode 7. I don't think it did everything right, but what it did get right it always hit out of the park.
Seeing some of those original characters return,well, it just felt surreal at times.
I guess that's one good word to some up this entire movie. Surreal.

I was just as much in awe at the film as I was asking myself questions that a time or two took me out of the whole experience.

Post #22   12/21/15 5:00:58PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:3,342-1,837
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

just saw it today.

I'm not a huge Star Wars dork, (though i so desperatley tried to be at one point).

I saw episode one but only saw fragments of episodes 2 and 3. I really despised those movies.
But the originals I really enjoy.

I really liked episode 7. I don't think it did everything right, but what it did get right it always hit out of the park.
Seeing some of those original characters return,well, it just felt surreal at times.
I guess that's one good word to some up this entire movie. Surreal.

I was just as much in awe at the film as I was asking myself questions that a time or two took me out of the whole experience.

I had the same feelings. It definitely felt like a Star Wars movie. At times, it felt new and exciting, but other times, I felt like it was following a similar story. The special effects are very good, and I appreciated the use of real special effects, vs going cgi every opportunity it could have. I did really enjoy it, and would recommend seeing it. The theater was packed last night, and there was even a line to get in. I think that added to the experience. Imax 3d was cool, but may not be necessary. There were some pretty cool visuals though. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #23   12/22/15 8:22:45AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,083-3,354
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At the theaters now seeing it a 2nd time.

Hopefully i dont fall asleep thru it this time

Post #24   12/22/15 1:52:31PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,898-2,304
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Just my 2 cents.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

My guess is you didn't buy into the new villain bc

DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM!!!!!

He is no villain at all!

He killed Han so people would think he's a bad dude but really he just wants to get close to the head hancho to kill him and restore order to the Galaxy.

Post #25   12/22/15 6:01:57PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Well now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, does anyone else think it's going to be really weird seeing Chewy without Han?

Post #26   12/23/15 3:33:08PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,671-1,891
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by Franklinfan47

Just my 2 cents.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM!!!!!

He is no villain at all!

He killed Han so people would think he's a bad dude but really he just wants to get close to the head hancho to kill him and restore order to the Galaxy.

Dude..seriously? I know it's been out for a few days...but...seriously....

Post #27   12/23/15 6:02:55PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,898-2,304
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by Franklinfan47

Just my 2 cents.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM!!!!!

He is no villain at all!

Dude..seriously? I know it's been out for a few days...but...seriously....

I put spoiler alert in big letters tho!

Post #28   12/23/15 7:06:00PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2