Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

For Uriah Hall, Saitama was a destination and an arrival

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,735-1,937
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Homecomings can be a little bittersweet, especially in the twisted, merciless game of MMA, where every fight is an intersection of loosely controlled fate. It was nearly seven years ago to the day that Gegard Mousasi, in the midst of a 15-fight winning streak, stunned Ronaldo Souza with an upkick knockout at Dream 6. That happened in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 23, 2008.

link

Post #1   9/27/15 7:36:46PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,735-1,937
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
This article is an interesting read, but it seriously sounds like it was written by a UFC exec. To say that Hall 'has finally arrived' is absolutely crap in my opinion. Did he win? Yes. Did he win in spectacular fashion? Yes. Did everyone think this was coming? No.

Simple fact is Hall got demolished and schooled in the first round. Most argue it could have been a 10-8 round. Then Hall wins via spinning back kick while Moose Saucey changed levels, putting his head in the direct path of that body kick. Now, simple fact is, Hall won. I get it. But what if the fight played out for another 9+ minutes? Would the same result have happened? I would argue no, but we will never know.

Hall's record is dismal at best. A bunch of decisions. That does not mean he is not an exciting fighter but the praise he gets in this article is a bit much. In my opinion, he has not arrived. He landed one kick to a top contender. That does mean it's a cake walk from here. He has no ground game from his back. His jiu jitsu he has demonstrated is a blue belt at best.

He beat someone standing who's specialty is not necessarily standing. What if he stands with Weidman, Romero, Belfort? Arguably he's outclassed. How about groundwork? He wouldn't make past the first minute with Souza, how about a grinder like Kennedy? Uriah right now is a one trick pony. He won't last long in the top 10 (if they rank him there).

Post #2   9/27/15 7:44:31PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,420-4,291
Chips:
I agree...they swang from his balls way too much for me as well. I think they guy landed a perfectly timed (although that is mainly due to Mousasi's choice of head placement) spinning back kick. I think he has great kicks in general that generate a lot of power. Do I think it was anywhere near the same as when he owned the season of TUF he was on...NO! Not even close, especially after the events of the first round. When you land a shot like that and you act like you knew he was going to have his head in that spot so you weren't actually throwing a body shot you sound like an arrogant moron to me. I am not saying it was a lucky shot, it wasn't...it was a planned shot...to the BODY...that Mousasi moved his head into.

Post #3   9/27/15 7:59:46PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Pretty sure the kick was intended for the body.

He seemed as surprised as everyone else that it resulted in a knockout.

Post #4   9/27/15 9:34:26PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,682-2,248
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It reminded of David Loiseau's "arrival"... How did that work out?

It was an beautiful kick though, I'll give Urijah that much

Post #5   9/28/15 11:38:20AM   

Goatenstein

Belt Contender

Career:869-595
Chips:
Hall vs Machida next. They want to hype him like he owned Moose for that whole fight.

Post #6   9/28/15 5:51:47PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,174-3,076
Chips:
From beginning to end this article is a train wreck. I can't really figure out what point is trying to be made. Whatever point the writer is trying to get across could have been made in a paragraph or two. Instead we have to dig through all kinds of useless information, personal opinions, weird and fantastical phrases and conjecture and yet there is no real point that stands out and all we are left with is some sort of tiny "hint" that Hall is now going to rule the MMA universe? I don't know what point is trying to be made. Bizarre article. MMA journalism is pretty lame for the most part and this article is scraping the bottom.

Post #7   9/28/15 8:14:53PM