Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Johny Hendricks: It's partly the fans' fault I didn't get title rematch

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
Ex-welterweight champion Johny Hendricks said he’s over trying to figure out the UFC’s title plans after getting snubbed for another shot at champ Robbie Lawler’s belt.
“It is what it is,” he told MMAjunkie. “As long as my body’s healthy, I’m going to fight.

“It’s not even so much the UFC’s fault. It’s also the fans; whenever they do a polling of the fans, they might want something different.”

link

Sorry Jon we will do better next time. Your probs right Brutal Bob Lawler is scared of you.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   9/24/15 1:47:30PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,130-1,942
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Maybe I'm just caught up in this moment, but has a fighter ever come off like more of a crybaby than Hendricks. Tito comes to mind but he usually relegates his whining to post fight interviews after a loss. Hendricks is a walking excuse a lot of time it seems like.

Post #2   9/24/15 1:59:39PM   

nirvana184

MMA Sensei

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,188
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Maybe if Hendricks put on a better performance than he did in their rematch, fans might want to see him fight again. He only has himself to blame.

Post #3   9/24/15 2:43:02PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,883-1,142
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I thought Hendricks won the first fight but that's because nothing happened aside from dramatic cage leaning for a good portion of the fight. I've seen worse judging before so to call it crazy that he lost is a stretch. If you can't hit a take down and can't do damage then you can't be surprised you lost the fight.

Him and al are probably really cool to hang out with.

Post #4   9/24/15 3:08:56PM   

isk

Belt Contender

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Robbie showed in the final minute that he wanted it more. He didn't fight a bad fight before that, but it wasn't his strongest display, either. Compare that with Johny, who not only walked away after the final bell but wouldn't even make eye contact. He was on the way to being broken.

I think a decent case can be made for Johny winning that fight, but putting any results on the fans is the wrong way to go. It continues demonstrating a lack of ownership and will. In other words, it's analyzing and parsing reasons more than a champion should, to where they're too close to excuses. And that kind of approach can lead to an inadequate performance.

Last edited 9/24/15 10:04PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: clarification

Post #5   9/24/15 9:56:05PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Lawler deserved that win. We've been wanting scoring that's based on damage and out put not just holding. Those last rounds all Hendricks did was hold. Robbie did more in the 30 seconds then he did the first four and a half minutes. 1st round could of went either way

But maybe if he wouldn't of started holding we'd actually want that trilogy

Post #6   9/25/15 4:07:16AM   

TerrorofsesameST

Standup Guy

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:1,691-1,101
Chips:
I think Hendricks is tough and talented enough to be champ again but in my opinion he's become boring since the first Lawler fight, he uses his wrestling as a safety net because he took some good shots from Robbie in the first fight, not saying he can't take a punch but I don't think he likes to get hit unlike Robbie who will smile at you when you clock him and keep pushing forward, that's the guy us fans want to see fight, not some wet blanket. When Big Rigg starts unloading that left hand and stops playing it safe maybe the fans will start siding with him. Till then, worry about Woodley.

Post #7   9/25/15 7:04:11PM   

RacingHartPurple

MMA Regular

RacingHartPurple Avatar

Career:3,393-2,024
Chips:
This fool can't be serious.

Post #8   9/26/15 12:24:42AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,749-1,974
Chips:
The funniest thing to me is he c a lled GSP a boring wrestler..... And now look who we havebhere.

I'm no Woodley fan but i wouldn't be v disappointed if he beat Hendricks.

Post #9   9/26/15 7:50:49AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,844-2,662
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Your fault johnny

You went from ko artist to boring wrestler

Post #10   9/26/15 10:12:02AM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
He's going to finish Woodly

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   9/26/15 5:21:42PM   

flamboyant1

Learning to Sprawl

flamboyant1 Avatar

Career:2,222-1,330
Camp: BluntForce: Resurrected
Chips:
I was once a fan of Hendricks.

Slowly, every time he speaks, I'm liking him less & less.

Both fights with Robbie were close, lot of people feel Robbie should have won the 1st fight when Hendricks won, then a lot of people feel Johny should have won the rematch when Robbie won the title.

That said, there was a huge difference in the way Johny fought in both. The first fight was primarily all stand up & trading. The 2nd? Was basically some striking exchanges & Johny spamming (& for the most part failing) TD attempts.

He did the same thing with Carlos Condit...then again the same thing against Matt Brown.

Don't get me wrong, the absolutely HAS to be a rubber match with Lawler at some point, but just because you lost the title doesn't ALWAYS signify you get an automatic rematch, if it worked that way we would never see a new contender get a shot.

Had there been 30 more seconds in the 2nd Lawler fight, I believe Hendricks would have gotten finished, Robbie clearly had more in the tank & clearly wanted it more, if Johny gets by Woodley, sure give him the next shot i guess.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   9/27/15 4:08:50PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Johny 'Realistically' Hendricks.... I don't think he's ever done an interview where he doesn't go into the whole "Realistically.... blah, blah, blah....."

If Hendricks never said a fucking word, he'd be massively popular.

Post #13   9/28/15 11:29:55AM