Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Benson Henderson injured, eyes permanent move to 170 with 'unveiling' at UFC: Korea

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,129-3,131
Chips:
The UFC's former lightweight champion uses injury-caused time off to rebuild his body for a stint in the 170-pound division.

bloodyelbow

Post #1   5/28/15 11:29:21AM   

Gumby90

Hello

Gumby90 Avatar

Career:3-1
Chips:
Terrible decision if he wants to be more than a gatekeeper. Guy can still beat the best in the world at 155.

Post #2   5/28/15 4:33:10PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Love the way people were using Henderson, who would never pull out of a fight, as an example of why other fighters are in bad or dangerous gyms. K.

Training, man, it's a rough sport. We get punched, kicked and choked. Your buddies, they train with you every day and they know your weak spots and what you are good at and what you are not good at. It was just training, it wasn't even a hard sparring session. It was a nice and easy training session. You get injured, it's the nature of the beast

Last edited 5/28/15 4:46PM server time by gdpofmpg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/28/15 4:45:19PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think he'll be fine at 170, his 'eye' issue will keep him out til early next year giving him time to properly get his weight up to where he wants it for 170.

I think he'd do equally well at whichever division he was geared for. Usually it takes the cut getting too hard for someone in his position to move up but I haven't seen him say that. Probably intended to get to 170 eventually and having an injury layoff right now and it being one that doesn't affect his ability to lift and do cardio, it's the perfect time to add mass.

Post #4   5/28/15 5:03:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,240-3,425
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Maybe he can face stun gun Kim

Post #5   5/28/15 5:32:43PM   

TerrorofsesameST

Standup Guy

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:2,274-1,483
Chips:
Horrible move for his career, jumping up a weight class isn't as simple as it was 5 years ago. Look at guys like Chael, he was a top 10 fighter at 185 and went up to 205 was in my opinion dominated by bigger stronger guys (Yes he beat Shogun but Shogun actually took him to the ground once!) Back to Henderson; It seemed he found new motivation after the loss to Cowboy, jumped up a weight class last minute to fight an up and comer with no main event experience and took him out in the 4th, I thought that's the W Bendo needed in order to go back down and compete at '55. But I just don't agree with this permanent welterweight move. Whats he gonna do if he's matched up with beasts like Johnny Hendricks, Condit, Alves, Rory, etc. 170 is a loaded division and Bendo would often struggle with smaller opponents at 155; Thomson, Melendez, Pettis and Edgar! None of them could ever make 170 and be successful, I think he should really think this through and try one more serious run @ the lightweight title.

Post #6   5/30/15 7:21:40AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by TerrorofsesameST

Horrible move for his career

It's really hard to tell if it's good or not until we can armchair quarterback it in a year or two, there are guys out there who move up and are a lot better for it. Jake Shields for instance moved up to 185 for 3 fights back in 09-10 and went 3-0 against Dan Henderson, Mayhem Miller, & Robbie Lawler. Everything before and after has been scheduled at 170, I still have no clue why. KJ Noons is way better at 170 than 155 but he's not a big guy anyone would think would do better at WW, but he's just bad at cutting weight so he's not depleted even though he's the small guy there. With some people, the less they deplete themselves the better they fight. Dustin Poirier is only one fight into 155 but I think he'll be better there even though he's been rocked by multiple guys at 145. I think if Benson takes this year to properly fill out to 185-190 (in shape), he'll be competitive with anyone at 170 basically the same way he is at 155 right now.

Once that weight is added on, we have to kind of forget of them as the lower weight class version of themselves and how they'd fare against bigger guys. Benson vs. Thatch was a LW fighting up a weight class. If the fight happened a year from now we wouldn't view it the same and it wouldn't look like a WW fighting a LW. When the weight is added properly the fighter is no longer that guy from the lower weight class but instead just as big as most guys in his new one after properly adding 15+ pounds of muscle. These are highly trained athletes, the size can change and the skillset translates up even multiple weight classes. When Rumble was at 170 fighting his wars with Burns, it would've been impossible to envision him fighting for the 205 title, but we no longer think of him as the 170 pound Rumble because his size has changed. Not as drastically as Rumble's, but so will Benson's.

Last edited 5/30/15 8:38AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/30/15 8:37:35AM