Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alvey's spray-tan sponsor was against UFC policy

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,359-3,295
Chips:
Sam Alvey's creative logo placement didn't please the UFC.

mmafighting

Post #1   5/11/15 10:29:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
Say he fully committed to Nike and tattooed a giant swoosh on his back are you telling me he can no longer fight for the UFC? I'm about sick of people telling other people what to do. What if one of these chicks put a sticker on when she tans to create a negative tan of her sponsor. You're telling me the UFC can tell them no? They can say you cant write on your body you can tan the way you like. I feel so let down by the UFC a few years ago they could do no wrong in my eyes and now they are bleeding fans and strapping fighters. Total bullshit.

Post #2   5/11/15 12:01:45PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Fucking Nazis, I'm surprised they didn't withhold his entire purse, maybe they did.

Post #3   5/11/15 12:05:30PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,359-3,295
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Fucking Nazis, I'm surprised they didn't withhold his entire purse, maybe they did.

According to an official they simply had a talk with him to prevent it from happening again. But the funny thing is it isn't even a sponsor according to Alvey. He said 'perfect tan' was just a joke making fun of himself for being pale and ginger.

Post #4   5/11/15 12:09:54PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,903-2,311
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I loved how he thanked Rebock and got booed by the crowd.

Anyone else think it's genius how he is calling out all the weak opponents at 170? At this pace he will be on a 30 fight win streak without being close to a title fight.

Post #5   5/11/15 12:21:24PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,806-1,995
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
While I agree, the UFC is putting a stranglehold on their fighters pay and its structure. Ultimately it is a privately owned company and they can do as they please. If you found out a local bakery doesnt allow employees to have tattoos, are you going to take to the internet because this small business wont accept a single mother because she made some bad life decisions and has some neck tattoos of a local gang? No. Are you going to picket? No. I really don't understand all the convo when ultimately, they are a private company, and they are not imprisoning these fighters on their roster, they're free to leave if they wish. Look at Rampage. And while, yes, the UFC could always do better, they dont necessarily have to.

Post #6   5/11/15 1:02:21PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,445-3,542
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I thought it was funny.

So I guess ufc has ownership of their bodies too not just their clothing

Post #7   5/11/15 1:14:20PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,903-2,311
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

While I agree, the UFC is putting a stranglehold on their fighters pay and its structure. Ultimately it is a privately owned company and they can do as they please. If you found out a local bakery doesnt allow employees to have tattoos, are you going to take to the internet because this small business wont accept a single mother because she made some bad life decisions and has some neck tattoos of a local gang? No. Are you going to picket? No. I really don't understand all the convo when ultimately, they are a private company, and they are not imprisoning these fighters on their roster, they're free to leave if they wish. Look at Rampage. And while, yes, the UFC could always do better, they dont necessarily have to.

I guess the only difference is a local bakery ins't a heartless monopoly making BILLIONS off the work of their employees.

Post #8   5/11/15 2:04:22PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
It's a shitty thing to do when Reebok and the UFC are trying to get this thing going. I'm all for protest when it makes sense, but this isn't even defiance on Alvey's part - it's just puerile ignorance.

I think it's a little different in a combat sport, as well, since frankly more of their skin is exposed during their events than athletes in most other sports. So something like a tattoo or a brand can have a bigger impact. Male MMA fighters can't wear rash guards in a fight.

Another point (brought up by Chael Sonnen recently) is that sponsors weren't really part of the initial plan. The UFC brass allowed them because the pay was godawful back then, so the attitude was more like go out and get what you can. I think the pay still needs to grow, especially given how physically detrimental the sport is. But it has gotten better.

I want to bring up other points, but it's more about the sponsor issue in general than Alvey's specific situation.

Post #9   5/11/15 4:09:54PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,698-2,256
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

One dollar one vote.

I wouldn't support that bakery. If there was one global bakery that ruled the world of baking, and they banned all the bakers with tattoo's then maybe I would picket with them.

There are private companies and there are monopolies, monopolies should be regulated if they are acting unfairly. It happened to Microsoft, and it should happen to the UFC also imo.

Post #10   5/11/15 9:22:01PM   

JoeWarren33

Heavyweight Champ

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,703-2,963
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

You compare a bakery to the UFC? You think the UFC brass are caring and loving people? They didn't pay their fights for the video game they used them in, Its all about the all mighty dollar and they don't give a flying crap about anyone else.

Post #11   5/13/15 12:20:26PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,121-1,782
Chips:

Posted by JoeWarren33

You compare a bakery to the UFC? You think the UFC brass are caring and loving people? They didn't pay their fights for the video game they used them in, Its all about the all mighty dollar and they don't give a flying crap about anyone else.

Bakeries---Nature's habitat for caring and loving people.

Post #12   5/13/15 12:40:22PM