Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I guess my elders should be indicted for Child Abuse

Print  
  Page 10 of 10   <<   7     8     9     10  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by george112

If you are asking me if those marks on the child required professional medical attention then I would say no

What would a professional medical doctor have done different then a mother with an ice pack and some hydrogen peroxide? Nothing IMO as far as treatment goes

They are cuts and bruises. Not deep lacerations the require stitches.

Not anyone on this forum would take themselves to the doctor for some cuts and bruising.

But look at the wording. "Substantial harm"

What constitutes "substantial" ? That was my whole point, its subjective.

BUT at the same time the punishment was not reasonable. I will concede that, no problem

I gave you the definition of substantial harm. Harm which a prudent person would seek medical attention. Your response shows that, in your mind, it was not child abuse. I am not as sure. I don't think I would go to the hospital for the lacerations on my legs, but if I had lacerations on my balls, I might. Moreover, just because I would not doesn't mean that no prudent person would.

In the end, it's a jury question. And I can see good arguments either way.

Also, "reasonable discipline" is defined to exclude that which inflicts substantial harm, so again, in the end, it all depends on whether the jury believes that the injuries sustained are the type which a prudent person would seek medical attention. That's an open question which a jury will decide. I disagree that we don't have enough information on that to make an informed opinion. We can see the pictures and determine whether we think a prudent person would seek medical attention for the injuries captured in the pictures. We also know that, regardless of whether a prudent person would seek medical attention for those injuries, in this case medical attention WAS sought, and the doctor who tended to the injuries thought they were substantial enough to report them as child abuse. that's enough to form an opinion on whether what AP did was child abuse in the state of Texas.

Post #136   9/17/14 7:08:44PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't know if I will be able to reply to this again as I have a baby due tomorrow.

But I want to add that I am in a profession that is subject to mandatory reporting of child abuse. To that end, I am periodically required to attend classes which inform decision on whether I need to report suspected child abuse. These types of repetitious laceration patterns would trigger my duty to report. That doesn't mean every time there is such a pattern that it is child abuse, but it is indicative of child abuse in a way that can trigger mandatory reporting.

Post #137   9/17/14 7:22:31PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:766-470
Chips:
All I'm gonna add to this is this...

Ncordless is laying down some truth, and a lot of posters are getting personal vendettas get in the way of the real argument. No one here is a supporter of child abuse, but we all have varying opinions on when punishment turns into abuse.

My wife is a social worker, her opinion is the only time you should physically discipline a child is if they are about to hurt themselves or others. Even then, the idea is not to humiliate or hurt, but to shock.

I was physically punished as a child to cause both pain and to humiliate, and because I was a little shit, I thought I deserved it. But thinking back, there was always a better way I could have been dealt with which would have been more effective in the long term.

Post #138   9/17/14 9:18:27PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:4,357-2,347
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There is always a better way than physical harm

Post #139   9/17/14 9:32:45PM   

Page 10 of 10   <<   7     8     9     10