Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Rogan says if Jon Jones was white, he would be more popular with fans

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,088-3,103
Chips:
Joe Rogan cites racism as one of the possible reasons why Jon Jones isn't embraced as much by MMA fans.

Link

Post #1   9/9/14 11:18:35AM   

Owens92x

MMA Sensei

Owens92x Avatar

Career:469-295
Chips:
I'm sure race has something to do with it for some people, but there's so many other reasons that people dislike Jones.

There's the DUI, the cancellation of 151, his religious views, his attitude, his "fakeness", his eye pokes, his oblique kicks, his posts and instagram videos that he deletes the day after, and he beats people's favorite fighters (Shogun, Machida, etc).

Post #2   9/9/14 11:42:37AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:
Or less of a dick maybe?

Post #3   9/9/14 11:42:55AM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,785-1,607
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Joe has a point to a certain degree. The fact is, most people can't relate to Jon Jones. Most people aren't 1/10 as gifted and talented and they hate that so they take it out on Jones.

Chael on the other hand, most people CAN relate to. Not the most talented, loses a whole lot, but makes up for it with hard work and a very big mouth. Most people see Chael and think that they can be him. Which makes them like him because he is 100x more relatable to them than Jones will ever be.

Post #4   9/9/14 1:37:14PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:

Posted by Owens92x

I'm sure race has something to do with it for some people, but there's so many other reasons that people dislike Jones.

There's the DUI, the cancellation of 151, his religious views, his attitude, his "fakeness", his eye pokes, his oblique kicks, his posts and instagram videos that he deletes the day after, and he beats people's favorite fighters (Shogun, Machida, etc).

I think you nailed it. it would be very unfortunate if it was a race issue, but I definitely think it has more to do with his personality.

Post #5   9/9/14 1:40:07PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,711-1,737
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

Posted by Owens92x

I think you nailed it. it would be very unfortunate if it was a race issue, but I definitely think it has more to do with his personality.

Post #6   9/9/14 1:43:15PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,111-3,016
Chips:
Personally I don't feel race plays into it at all. I am sure there are people that don't like him because he is African American....let's face it....America has an inordinate amount of racist white supremacist yahoos....but....they hate anyway. That goes without saying. I think that the majority of those who dislike Jones dislike him because of his attitude and actions and not because of the geographic location and diet of his ancestors.....and that is all skin color is. Our skin color is dictated by the geographic location and diet of our ancestors. It's all about vitamin D. If you dislike someone because of the diet and location of their ancestors you are a complete and utter moron. I don't like Jones because he is a self righteous, self important and very arrogant person. He is terribly insecure and his actions and attitude reek of that insecurity.

Post #7   9/9/14 2:34:16PM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Now we have Rogan using Dana White style judgement. Very bad idea to say this publicly, and it reveals that Joe tends to think along racial lines, to go along with some of his homophobic thinking he has shown us in the past. I know there are a ton of JJ haters on this site, and Joe just accused most of you of being racist. Come on Joe, dont make me put you in my idiot column, its getting kinda crowded on that side when it comes to MMA.

Post #8   9/9/14 3:31:09PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,166-3,390
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Very ignorant to say.

Do you really think fans choose who they like based on race

Post #9   9/9/14 3:42:09PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:5,947-3,701
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

I think Joe has a point to a certain degree. The fact is, most people can't relate to Jon Jones. Most people aren't 1/10 as gifted and talented and they hate that so they take it out on Jones.

Chael on the other hand, most people CAN relate to. Not the most talented, loses a whole lot, but makes up for it with hard work and a very big mouth. Most people see Chael and think that they can be him. Which makes them like him because he is 100x more relatable to them than Jones will ever be.

I gotta disagree with this analysis. If people rooted for athletes based on relative god-given talent, then I would argue that the LPGA would be much more popular than the PGA, on the premise that most people can't drive a ball as far as Bubba Watson or Rory McIlroy, and probably play more like the top women. Not to mention Chael was like an Olympic alternate and I doubt many rational people think "oh I could be an Olympic alternate." People like talent when it's combined with humility. While there are exceptions, I think most hyper talented athletes that run their mouths or act superior are going to be hated (Brock, Jones, Anderson by some, and Chael for that matter.) Being of color cannot help though, I'm sure.

Post #10   9/9/14 4:17:52PM   

Gumby90

Hello

Gumby90 Avatar

Career:3-1
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Very ignorant to say.

Race is a huge deal for most people being a fan of someone.

My favorites are a bunch of brazilian killers but for most people thats not the case. Why do you think Dillashaw created new interest in the smaller divisions?

Post #11   9/9/14 4:30:57PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
I know I totally lack the ability to see a arrogant, bratty diva when I see one. I don't even see real colors, just black and white.

fk off rogan

Post #12   9/9/14 4:31:23PM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
Can't take everything Rogan says too seriously.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #13   9/9/14 5:51:09PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Rogan isn't really saying alot for MMA fans when he cites racism as the biggest drawback to Jone's popularity. Plenty of black athletes are famous,and I doubt this single one is being picked out because of his color.
Hell If jones had a mouth like Chael he would probably be the MMA equivilant of Ali.

I think,as mentioned above most of it has to do with Jones coming across as fake,and not in the showmanship kind of way. Not to mention not signing replica belts for fans and little s$*t like that.
My guess,Rogan heard a fan or fans making racist remarks about Jones and it forced him to reevaluate his own opinion as to why he doesn't get much love.

Post #14   9/9/14 5:57:19PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,711-1,737
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Gumby90

Posted by prozacnation1978

Very ignorant to say.

Race is a huge deal for most people being a fan of someone.

My favorites are a bunch of brazilian killers but for most people thats not the case. Why do you think Dillashaw created new interest in the smaller divisions?

Because of his cinderella story/meteoric rise

He was a HUGE underdog who nobody thought was going to win.

People love it when underdogs win

Post #15   9/9/14 5:58:30PM