Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 136 Results: Dana White Says Frankie Edgar Is Top 2 Pound-for-Pound, Wants Him to Face Jose Aldo

Print  
What should Frankie Edgar do following his TKO win over Maynard?
Fight Gilbert Melendez 22 47%
Fight Bendo/Guida winner 19 40%
Drop to 145 to fight Aldo 6 13%
Other (Please explain if chosen) 0 0%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,424-3,697
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Dana White spoke to the press following Frankie Edgar's monumental comeback KO victory over Gray Maynard. He complimented the lightweight champion for his performance, and says that he thinks Edgar is the No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the sport:

"If you really look at what pound-for-pound means, you cannot deny that Frankie Edgar is Number 2. The guy weighs 145 pounds and he's beating guys at 155 pounds. He beat a guy who had him out of it. A guy who many believed had his number. He knocked him out tonight... He's an amazing human being. He's an incredible athlete, and he's got a heart the size of this room."

He also has this to say:

"Honestly, I'd like to see him move to 145 and fight Aldo"

"Did you see the size difference between those two tonight? I've been telling him for a long time he should fight at 145. I'm not his dad or trainer. That's his decision. He's a grown man and knows what he's doing."

"All these other guys that he fights are so much bigger than him. I think that fighting out of your weight class isn't healthy. I don't think it's healthy long-term. I don't think that guys that fight a weight class above them and take damage can have the longevity that other fighters can have. I think when you fight with guys that are your own size, you don't take the punishment that you take when you fight bigger guys. The weight classes are there for a reason."

LINK

Post #1   10/9/11 10:27:48AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I voted for the Melendez matchup, b/c Idk if Gil is still facing Masvidal.

If he is, then I would say Edgar faces Bendo/Guida winner. Then Gil faces Masvidal, if he wins then comes to UFC and faces winner of Edgar vs Bendo/Guida winner.

I think Aldo would come up 155 and face Edgar, since Aldo is already talking about eventually moving up to 155.

Post #2   10/9/11 11:43:25AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
im sorry but until Frankie has done what GSP or Silva has, he is not top 2.

Frankie still has Bendo/Guida winner and Melendez to fight. Aldo should get Mendes next. after that, then ill buy into the Aldo vs Frankie fight.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   10/9/11 12:04:48PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,424-3,697
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Edgar would be very dominant at 145 I think. And it opens up a bunch of different matches. I would still like to see him defend his title a couple more times at LW though. Melendez and the Guida/Bendo winner. Or just one of those fights then have him drop to 145 for the Aldo super fight.

Post #4   10/9/11 12:08:03PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,088-3,103
Chips:
I wouldn't say he's top two, but he's somewhere near the top. Never understood why people ranked him below Aldo.

Post #5   10/9/11 1:16:03PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:704-370
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would like 2 see frankie defend the strap at least 2 more times before Aldo. So i guess that would be Bendo vs Clay winner, and then Gil. After that i would luv 2 see him fight Aldo

Post #6   10/9/11 1:45:02PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I think when you fight with guys that are your own size, you don't take the punishment that you take when you fight bigger guys. The weight classes are there for a reason."

Sooo that's the reasoning to face Aldo instead of a Benson or Guida? Because he'll take LESS punishment? I get it in theory, but strongly disagree based on who the fights would be against at each weight class.

Post #7   10/9/11 2:07:22PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
LW is the deepest division easily...Thats why Dana says hes top two...GSP division is a bunch of one trick ponies....Silvas too...

Lets see Silva beat a guy bigger than him easily in the 205 division...Lets see it lets see GSP do it..I mean the number two guy a weight class higher..GSP in no way shape or form would beat Sonnen...Sila I think would lose to Rua, Rampage and Evans...both Silva and GSP are pretty big guys for their division...

What White says is correct..DID you see the size differnece...People still wont give frnakie credit...the naysayers on here I can go look at your picks and I bet you picked Gray Maynard...

I see that alot on here people discrediting fighters like Jones and Frnakie...Cause they Picked Rampage and Gray..

I think Aldo will get whipped by Frankie....Frankies movement will bother Aldo....Frankie is a great boxer...He got caught with an uppercut and adjusted to never get caught again...Gray kept thinking hed land the shot again.....

Frankie will wrestle Aldo down...If Aldo gets by Mendes and IM not even sold on that...Aldo will lose to a grinding wrestler like Mendes...Pressure him the whole fight and he will gas at 145...

I dont agree that Frankie is number 2 yet but his resume is sick...He cost me 500 real dollars back when he beat Sherk with his boxing...

Last edited 10/9/11 3:12PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/9/11 3:04:03PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Chips:
Aldo's days are numbered at 145lb. His body looks completely different from when he was coming up. He was a skinny homeless kid then. Now he looks like a little hoss. Money has led to him eating better. You can tell when he fights that the major battle he and his corner are worried about is getting tired. His TDD is awesome, but he gets so worried about making sure that he isn't wasting too much energy while doing it that he doesn't put himself in positions where he is at risk of a TD. He landed like 4 leg kicks last night, and each one put a huge mark on Florian's legs. If he had the confidence in his stamina, he would have been eating Florian alive with them.

I'd love to see Edgar v Aldo at 155, and think it would be a hell of a fight. Aldo should vacate the title and get a #1 contender's match. I'd love to see him against Pettis.

Post #9   10/9/11 3:22:02PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Chips:
I absolutely agree. Frankie is one of the best in the business. I thought that was apparent when he beat Penn.

Dominating top level fighters in a weight class higher, and doing it against match-ups that are stylistically disadvantageous. Thats the two most important criteria IMO.

But i disagree with Dana saying that it's unhealthy for Frankie to fight at 155. Cutting weight is unhealthy in the long run. Kills your testosterone output and it damages some internal organs from prolonged cutting. That and Frankie's style is to not get hit, and at a higher weight the people will move slower. Edgar is doing a bunch of things to ensure that he takes less health risks than he would if he cut weight for every match throughout his career.

Post #10   10/9/11 3:22:10PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I some what feel this was said to piss off GSP but i could just be over thinking it

Post #11   10/9/11 4:14:34PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

I some what feel this was said to piss off GSP but i could just be over thinking it

Or light a fire to have him not fight so cautiously. Frankie doesn't fight not to lose, he fights to win.

Post #12   10/9/11 4:34:37PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,288-4,198
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I think thatt if your offered a super fight at the weight class that you should have been in the entire time then you should take it immediately. I would also like to see Silva vs Jones.

Post #13   10/9/11 4:55:27PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think thatt if your offered a super fight at the weight class that you should have been in the entire time then you should take it immediately. I would also like to see Silva vs Jones.

And a new super contract? Or on the same contract pay you signed before you became champ?

Post #14   10/9/11 5:00:59PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
No way Edgar is #2, and I think he should stay at 155. If it ain't broke...

Post #15   10/9/11 6:03:12PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3