Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Aldo: UFC Would Have to Pay Good Money for Title Fight with Nunes

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:4,976-3,002
Chips:
Jose Aldo is sidelined at the moment, but the UFC’s 145-pound ace will have no shortage of challengers lined up to meet him upon his return to the Octagon this fall.

Unbeaten wrestler Chad Mendes, previously announced as the company’s No. 1 featherweight contender, has opted not to wait out Aldo’s return and will instead face Rani Yahya in August. Then there’s Kenny Florian, the former lightweight title challenger who could jump to the front of the line with a win in his June 11 featherweight debut against Diego Nunes. A training partner of Aldo’s at Nova Uniao in Rio de Janeiro, Nunes could also find himself in title contention with a win.

Speaking exclusively with Sherdog.com after Shooto Brazil 23 on June 4, Aldo didn’t deny the possibility of fighting his teammate for the belt, but did say that the UFC would have to make it worth his while.

“I believe Diego will defeat Kenny Florian,” Aldo said. “Diego is well-prepared. He has ‘blood in his eyes’ for that fight and he’s ready to reach the top of the division. He has enough talent to fight for the title.

LINK

Post #1   6/8/11 4:11:43PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Didn't know they were teammates, that should be interesting if Nunes wins.

Post #2   6/8/11 4:27:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:424-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I agree with Aldo. I would only fight a training partner if the number one contender spot was on the line or if we were fighting for the title. Other than that, I would do everything in my power to avoid a fight with a training partner.

I also agree with Aldo regarding his demand for a good sum of money if Nunes becomes the number one contender to challenge his belt. If the ufc wants to see that fight, then the ufc will have to pay - It's a no brainer...

Post #3   6/8/11 4:36:14PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,402-1,974
Chips:
Luckily nunes won't win so this problem will be avoided.

Post #4   6/8/11 5:00:47PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

He has ‘blood in his eyes’ for that fight and he’s ready to reach the top of the division. He has enough talent to fight for the title.

LINK

Maybe he's just stoned...

Post #5   6/8/11 5:16:08PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree with Aldo. I would only fight a training partner if the number one contender spot was on the line or if we were fighting for the title. Other than that, I would do everything in my power to avoid a fight with a training partner.

I also agree with Aldo regarding his demand for a good sum of money if Nunes becomes the number one contender to challenge his belt. If the ufc wants to see that fight, then the ufc will have to pay - It's a no brainer...

I disagree. If this quote came from Nunes, I could get on board. As the challenger, Nunes has the right to turn down the fight. As the champion though, Aldo should fight who is put in front of him. If they don't want to fight each other, Nunez should be the one to turn it down...not the other way around.

Post #6   6/8/11 5:55:21PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,986-3,307
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Kind of sad
Every fighters goal should be the belt
They aint brothers. I would fight mine for a belt
It would be a great fight.

Post #7   6/8/11 7:35:05PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,095-4,051
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I love all of the best buddies that won't fight each other unless "the $ is right"......who would fight any opponent if the $ wasn't right....that's a pointless comment at best.

Post #8   6/8/11 11:27:45PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:424-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by KungFuMaster

I disagree. If this quote came from Nunes, I could get on board. As the challenger, Nunes has the right to turn down the fight. As the champion though, Aldo should fight who is put in front of him. If they don't want to fight each other, Nunez should be the one to turn it down...not the other way around.

I don't know if you misread me or not but I did say if it was a contention or a title fight, I would fight a training partner.

Since we both agree, I like to reiterate the importance of a champion to fight who ever the promoter puts in front of him.

You are the champ. You cannot be ducking or refusing fights. It is bad for you and the sport and you end up putting the title on hold which fans do not like to see. If it was not a title fight or a contention fight, I have no problems with fighters not wanting to fight other teammates.

But yes, I agree - as a champion, you need to fight whoever they put in front of you.....And I don't blame Aldo for demanding more money if Nunes becomes the number one contender. I would probably use this pull to earn a healthier paycheck myself.

Post #9   6/9/11 1:39:21AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't know if you misread me or not but I did say if it was a contention or a title fight, I would fight a training partner.

Since we both agree, I like to reiterate the importance of a champion to fight who ever the promoter puts in front of him.

You are the champ. You cannot be ducking or refusing fights. It is bad for you and the sport and you end up putting the title on hold which fans do not like to see. If it was not a title fight or a contention fight, I have no problems with fighters not wanting to fight other teammates.

But yes, I agree - as a champion, you need to fight whoever they put in front of you.....And I don't blame Aldo for demanding more money if Nunes becomes the number one contender. I would probably use this pull to earn a healthier paycheck myself.

I guess I kind of did misread what you were saying. That's what I get for skimming over what you said.

I can see wanting more money to fight my friend, I guess...but by putting a stipulation like that on a fight (more money), that really gives a champion the ability to turn down the fight in a sense...which I don't think should happen. I'm not sure there's a proper way to go about it, I guess is what I'm saying.

Post #10   6/10/11 3:13:12PM